KC @ Milwaukee post game [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by BenC1357, Aug 25, 2002.

1. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    What a fun trip! The KC group amounted to 10, we ran across a group of 12 from northern Milwaukee that are Wizards fans, and then "The Sherminator" (I mean Derek :) ) got a few girls from a local college to join us. We were actually pretty loud with our chants. When I went across the complex to the restroom I could make out all the words.

The players gave us major mad love, before and after the game. Talley Goode seemed really excited to have us cheering him on. A couple even had a good laugh when me and matt did a sliding dive into the center cirlce of the pitch (bad idea).

Scoring in the first minute really helps the enthusiasm of the supporters. It was like a crazy mosh pit of drunken idiots over there. I think I fell over at least twice and didnt catch much of the play until the 4th minute.

Being next to the pitch, on the grass is awesome. You're right there, you can almost feel the action.

The Wizards totally outplayed and outclasses the Rampage. From the play, I'd say it should have been 4-0, but the Wizards didnt put away some close chances.

Driving to and from Milwaukee with a game in the middle, all in 30 hours, is really hard on the body. My body is telling me its pissed off right about now. I hope this result can do something to turn the end of the MLS season around.

Garcia informed us that the final of the USOC would be in KC, if we win in C-bus on 9/10.

2. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ooh!

open cup final at home!?

OOH!

3. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    My liver is officially on strike now.

4. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    I was at the game last night, and the Wizards really dominated most of the action -- and the Mystics, who were just below me on the east side of the stadium, were responsible for most of the noise.

However, the slide trombone player REALLY needs to take some lessons. Meanwhile as the game was in its waning minutes, my son went down the to Mystics, and, in an attempt to create a more "sobering" perspective on the action, dutifully reminded the Mystics of the recent 5-1 debacle against the Fire.

My gratuitous slam for this post.

Still, A+ for the "Fire reject" and "Wizard reject" cheers.

Anyway, back to the game. The Wizards looked quite good, and Preki was definitely man of the match. However, the Rampage played right into your hands by doing two REALLY dumb things:

--failing to mark Preki for the entire first half, basically allowing to him to run wild.

--completely ceding midfield play throughout the first half, and simply sending long balls in the vain hope that Wolyniec or Digital could get onto them in a dangerous spot. Hope-LESS.

By the time the first half was half over, the GAME was over.

The Rampage took a bit more of the action in the second half, as their (presumably dense) coach figured out that somebody ought to shadow Preki.

The Wizards benefitted from a truly horrendous call on a Saavreda free kick, which went directly into goal, only to be disallowed by an offside call on Digital. Hideous officiating, at a moment when the game could have turned reasonably interesting.

Meanwhile, the Rampage came close to scoring off a Saavreda (why doesn't this guy start for the Rampage) corner kick, which was headed into the woodwork.

But, really, the outcome was never in doubt.

Some other random comments.

--Flank players -- Quill and Klein -- kept the Rampage defense under pressure all night.

--Zavagnin seemed to add little to this game.

--Garcia went forward nicely on a few occassions, and should probably do more of that.

--ANYBODY could have played keeper last night for the Wizards.

--Digitial ought ought to change his name to Dribbbiler Takawara. Because its dribble, dribble, dribble, -- then lose the ball.

--John Wolyniec COULD be a good player if he (a) played a little defense (b) passed the ball in dangerous situations where he has drawn the defense and (c) improved his first touch. Yes, you guessed it -- it's a tall order for this tall guy.

--Preki plays the game at a MUCH higher mental level than anyone out of the field. If he were only 10 years younger...

5. jamesf24

jamesf24 New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Brighton, MI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HEADLINE NEWS:

"The Wizards Tally two as Taly Goode & Carey Talley preserve the shutout!"

Sorry, couldnt resist.

Let's hope this win turns us around.

James

6. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    from Kcwizards.com:

Nice to see this on live tv.

7. WBWIZ

WBWIZ New Member

Aug 25, 2002
    MAYVILLE ,Wi.
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thank you all

one of the 12 Wisconsin wizard fans here (the one with the drums) and just wanted to thank you for a great time. i cant wait and i hope we can make a game in KC. last night was amazing and i am sure it is 5X as rowdy at arrowhead. you guys are real troopers. amazing, one of the highlights of my summer. hope KC turns it on and finishes off the season winning.

take care

derek

8. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    While it is rowdy in KC, I am not nearly as drunk as last night. Whoever thought up of the $10 happy hour at the stadium is a genius, a promotion that should be done here.

9. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh? After I saw the result I was kicking myself for not asking off work on Saturday, but this makes it worse... Please provide more details...

10. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    it is kind of fuzzy. I remember 2 goals, running around, lots of drumming. Yelling at Digital. Staying behind the line. Beer. Food. Talking with players, and cheese jokes.

11. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't care about that... I just wanna know about the $10 happy hour. Is it $10 for all you can drink?

12. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Dammit. I really wish I could've made that trip.

Sounds like you guys had a blast and saw us play a good match.

I'm gonna make a road trip one of these days.

13. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WOW, were do I even begin?

First, Chad you owe me 4 bucks! ANd for those who were on the fence about going or could go for various reasons. I am sorry that you missed out, that was so,so fuking money!!!

The beer perk goes like this. For 20 bucks you get a ticket for the VIP section and all you can drink. Soda and beer were provided. :D Since we had GA tickets we needed a ticket upgrade so for another $10 we could drink for free all night long. UMMMMM no brainer if you ask me. SO there is the skinny on that now to the game.

Pregame--
    met at the value inn (quality) to drink some barly pops while watching the Mls match.

Mistaking the players bus for the wives, g/f, live-in friend, or friends with privledges.

Meeting up with the dudes from North Milwaukee who happened to be wiz fans.

Talking to Nick about the party winne.

Talking to Digi before the game.

Getting more beer.

Seeing Mikegone running up and down the sideline talking with the referee's during warm-ups.

Getting three more beers.

Game---

Things are starting to get a little fuzzy.

Scoring early and going nuts after the goal.

Yelling at the linesman who was less than 4 feet away from me as the ball was in our end of the field.

more Beers

Seeing Sam roll down hill after the second goal.

14. Lucid

Lucid Member

May 17, 1999
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    What a fun time... I don't think any roadtrip will ever top it. There was maybe two of us that wasn't completely hammered and this moment pretty much summed up the whole trip.... (singing) "We're drunk..... and we know we are, we're drunk.... and we know we are!"

The entire event was pretty much a blur to me. So just as Matt, it was a big blur of being hassled by 10 year olds, drinking lots and lots of beer, a couple of goals, hitting on a soccer team (the looks on your faces when I came back to our section being followed by like 7 girls was classic!).

I wish I could sit here and recap the whole evening, but I can't cause I don't remember a lot of it clearly enough to do so. I didn't pay much attention to the game cause I was mostly talking to people and drinking, and it was such a blast.

I think I saw Matt drunk more than I did sober for the 30 hours I was with him.

Oh wow, so much fun, and thanks to all the people up in Milwaukee for making it such a fun time. I really really wanna do that again.

So here's all my thank you's...

Thank you $10 all you can drink beer
    Thank you wanna-be BBQ food we ate
    Thank you Jasmine and the rest of the Lakeland College girls soccer team, enjoy my scarf
    Thank you The Wisconsin Mystics contingent. Yes Derek, you are all Mystics now.
    Thank you sideline mom for not letting any of us make a fool of ourselves by running out on the field
    Again... Thank you $10 all you can drink beer
    Thank you Stacy's dad for coming over and saying hi in replacement of your daughter
    Thank you soccer gods for letting us win
    Thank you Tony for having a baby and letting Goode have a chance to shine
    Thank you Wizards for including us in the post-game celebration.
    Thank you staff guy for not being so anal about letting us on the field after the game and also taking a picture for us.
    But most importantly, thank you Rampage fans for being so cool, I really really hope you guys get your MLS team.

15. Lucid

Lucid Member

May 17, 1999
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Well... $10 to get in the game, then $10 to get in the "Time to get shitfaced" section.

16. SamPierron

SamPierron BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 30, 1998
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few comments.

1. The trombone player was one of the WI dudes. Was he particularly good? No. Was he the proverbial bomb for being there with a trombone? Yes. We've needed a brass section for years.

2. Boy, were we all hammered. $10 for all you can drink after we got in...fantastic.

3. We got a shout-out in the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel for being there and boisterous. Good for us.

4. Thanks to all who came, and shame on those who didn't.

17. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Here is the quote:
    from: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/socc/aug02/69067.asp

18. StuBentley

StuBentley New Member

Sep 12, 2000
    Olathe, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I know, school and budget stuff kept Beth and I from going. But on the bright side we did get to see my friend play in the alumni scrimmage game at my college (Park U)...oh, wait, that doesn't even come close. Pardon me while I go kick the heck out of myself....

stu

19. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    We took a picture?

20. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Hahaha, yes after the game the security guys took about three pictures of the group. I'd like someone to email me a copy if we ever get those. That would be awesome!

21. WBWIZ

WBWIZ New Member

Aug 25, 2002
    MAYVILLE ,Wi.
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

that would not be a problem once i fill the film and get them back. i am still a newbie is there a way to post pictures directly on the thread or just by email

good luck against morelia

non trombone playing WI dude

22. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    yes there is a way to post the pictures. First you have to get some place to host it on the interenet. Then you have to put the address of those pictures between these two html tags
    [​IMG]
    if you can't get it to work e-mail them to someone and they can probably do it.

23. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    use the code img to make images show up:

You will need to surround the img tag with these brackets: [ img ] graphic location [ /img ]

see: https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/misc.php?action=bbcode

24. Razov

Razov New Member

Apr 6, 2001
    Chicago
    Wizards - Rampage photo gallery is up!

The article and photo gallery of the Wizards - Rampage Open Cup match is now online at www.thefirealarm.com

Direct Links:

Match report- http://thefirealarm.mlsfansites.com/story.php?news_ID=398&PHPSESSID=ebb13f6ffa2bc55db5a83991f05ee4b5

Photo gallery- http://www.pbase.com/thefirealarm/rampageloss

Even though I am a Fire fan, I must say that the Wiz were dominant in this match and the K.C. traveling supporters were top-class! Not to mention hilarious...

enjoy!

25. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Re: Wizards - Rampage photo gallery is up!

By hilarious, do you mean drunk? ;) :D

All I can say is $10 unlimited booze, that ain't right. (Only because I wasn't there)