KC at Chicago - Can we double up? PRE & POST GAME [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by jdoppel, Aug 23, 2007.

1. RedCard2

RedCard2 New Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Ottawa, Canada
    Re: KC at Chicago - Can we double up? (PRE-GAME)

Very entertaining game.

KC played some amazing soccer and deserved to win. Looking forward to their next match.

2. s0ccerstud86

s0ccerstud86 Member

Aug 19, 2005
    Columbia, Mo

not to get into a pissing match, but it's five mls games, i checked. toronto, columbus, salt lake, kc, kc.

3. fireEagleCuauhtemoc

fireEagleCuauhtemoc www.twitter.com/alonsobueno1

Jul 23, 2007
    chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

oh ya forgot about toronto my bad.lol

4. Brian71

Brian71 Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Denver
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

there seems to be a recurring problem this season...we can't finish. we control possession - nice build ups - nothing to show for it.

...we'd better hang 3 on RSL :mad:

and ******** blanco...always diving, always looking for a card...that old bastard is worse that Ronaldo...someone needs to give him something to cry about.

5. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Say what you will, he knows how to follow through on his play acting. He was still limping and checking his shin when he went to the bench. At least he won't be around for long; what is he, 112?

6. Ihateusernames

May 16, 2007
    Merriam, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If anyone cares, I went to Paddy O'Quigley's in NKC tonight and they put the game on for me. For a bit, I the only things in my view were the US women, the KC game, and the KC game.
    Blanco just ticks me off. He was already diving even before Jimmy touched him. I hope he really is hurt, because he did it to himself. I wish the ref would have run over there and carded his SS while he was complaining to the ref on the sidelines.
    Is it asking too much to see Eloy more than 15-20 minutes in a game? Also, would it be asking too much to not get our guys hacked everytime they cross midfield. I have no idea how Soumare never got a card either game just for persistent infringement on EJ.

7. Ihateusernames

May 16, 2007
    Merriam, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oh, for those that missed the tv version of the game, they showed the stats of the Wizards when the allowed the first goal. It was something crazy like 4-7-2. I had to laugh when I realized just how high of a percentage of the season-to-date that was.

8. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

As I was leaving the stadium I passed by your guys in the bathroom and they were chanting Ooooooooh, KC Wiz. KC wiz, KC wiz, KC wiz.

They found the pun hilarious.

9. Redfoot

Redfoot New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I went out to the bars at halftime and I too and drunk out of my mind. It took me way too long to type this.

10. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

as a point of order, we got to see Eloy for a full half in his first appearance.

11. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC

Yes we got drunk....really drunk....still may be a bit drunk...got to head to the airport. That game sucked, but we sure had fun.

12. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I only got to see the second half, here is a few things I noticed:

-Harrington looked dangerous like he did early this season. He was running at people and blowing past them as well, I hope that continues.

-Sealy's first touch is just awful. He cant seem to handle the simpliest of inbound passes.

-EJ and CM have just disappeared. I dont know what is going on with them but they need to step back up if we are to make anything of this season

-Eloy didnt look so good tonight. For the first time ever I was actually hoping to see Yura come on.

-If we cant finish of set pieces, we might as well pack up our shit and go home. That will be the death of us in the playoffs or the cause of us not even making it. We are just terrible, that needs to be fixed.

-I think Chicago got away with wasting more time than any team ever. The time they were taking between free kicks, corners, etc was just ridiculous. Its expected to take a little time but the time they were taking was just classless, atleast in my opinion. Not making excuses for the loss though.

On to Wednesday, a desperate three points needed.

13. Ihateusernames

May 16, 2007
    Merriam, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: KC at Chicago - Can we double up? (PRE & POST GAME)

Eloy was in for a half his first time? Wow, sure didn't feel like it. I guess it was like last night where the only times I saw him were the times he was chasing a bad pass out of bounds.
    I know EJ is supposed to be the face of our offence, but why don't we switch it up a bit? Start someone else. Just wondering if we are too predictable up front.

14. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

well, dangerous until the ball left his feet. yeah he took on and beat a couple of defenders, but what good is it if your cross is a complete joke?

i agree with this. however, i'd include ej with the lack of first touch. actually, i guess it's his dribbling. he's horrible at it. how many times does it look like he stumbles over the ball, or forgets to take it with him when he makes a quick move? sometimes, he actually looks like me on the ball.

i too would've preferred to see yura, but not for eloy. how pore ever sniffs the field anymore is beyond me. eloy couldn't do much if no one gets him the ball.
    and if we're talking about players that should/shouldn't be on the field, what's the deal with morsink? he's little more than an extra body out there. he doesn't seem to bring any creativity, which is a huge detriment considering he keeps slotting into the center mid position. i really don't understand CO's tactics on this one.

bingo. the real worry is that this is beyond repair. i mean, seriously, it's not like this is a recent problem. if it hasn't been fixed by now, it should be reasonable to assume it can't be fixed at all.

yup, and how sad is it that we're right back in the exact same position we were in the last two seasons? i remember what happened then. is there any reason at all to think we won't fold completely ... again? i mean, hell, look at our last two games - rbny and dallas - the same two teams who stamped our tickets home in the last two years. yeah, i'm feeling a bit pessimistic about our chances.

oh yeah, it should be said that nick looked like a lost child, or a lazy cvnt (whichever you prefer), on chicago's second goal. that kind of defending is unacceptable.

15. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO

Everyone needs to calm down a hair. This is a game in Chicago, it's supposed to be an "L". This year on so many levels. Blanco is an actual SI and is better than anything KC has. CHI's at home and they should win home games. CHI scored #2 very late in the game. KC finishing is exactly what is has been for 2 months now. KC takes too many cards and half of them are needless.

It's clear KC will need a miracle for the Cup, so Vermes' list is forming quite quickly:

*An SI signing at a level commensurate with the best of MLS.
    *Someone, anyone who can take a free consistently - maybe you find this in Davy or someone else currently in blue, but it MUST come ASAP.
    *An attacking midfield that contributes to the defense rather than abandons it.
    *A defender that can defend in the air, KC has been dominated here all year.
    *Coaches that can and will eliminate stupid cards. For me, this is easy. Team rule that any card is a team fine equavalent to the league fine, double that for non-defenders, effectively doubling/tripling the penalty. Jose needed to be in there last night. Losing tight gmaes away is the proper penalty paid for being stupid/slow/whatever and earning cards.

Worrisome trends are 4 goals allowed in 2 games, all late in halves. Limited minutes for the Argies. 3-4 cards every game consistently. Being shut out most every week. KC is contiunuously terrible in August for whatever reason.

You can feel bad that KC tanked yet again in CHI. I don't. Bottom line is this fixture is always a loss. There will come a day very soon where KC will only make 1 trip there a season forever. I look at that day as a new opportunity for 3 points in one extra game every year. It could be worse, NY is 0-8-2 in their last 10 at NE. Their fans are complaining today about Conway standing still as the weak backpass from well wide trickles past his inexcusibly late dive to lose late 2-1.

Back to this season, I have to think KC will be better Wed.

KC has a 6 point margin over CHI and they have a game in hand. KC must win in RSL AND find ways to get rare points away at bastions like NY, DAL, CHV, and HOU or they will be home for the playoffs for the third consecutive year. Maybe now everyone is starting to track with what I said were must games earlier this season.

16. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

that's defeatist. i'll be pessimistic until the cows come home, but i'll never give away 3 points before the game is even played.

no, because we're actually still inside the playoffs looking out. "must win" games are win or die. we probably won't have one of those until the last two games of the year, rbny or fcd... just like the last two years.

17. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Denial ain't just a river.

That's your view. My opinion of that view is it's a very limited one crippled by rigidity of thinking. Also, in terms of KC winning the East, unfortunately all the relatives are hanging around the ICU waiting for the beeps to stop.

You and I can only hope. Please explain to me where all these unearned-as-yet points are going to come from. It's interesting that now even you are resigned to the negative/defeatist view of KC having only one option of having to win in DAL just to get the 8 seed.

Anyway, again you have lost the plot. The original thread was not about backsliding into the playoffs like some hanging on also ran, hoping for the clinching point in the last fixture. The original thread was about winning the East division.

FFWD to today and the new goal of playoff survival: Our guys are 10 points down to NE and closer to being out of the playoffs than even to second place in the East. COL has now won 3 straight, CHI has taken 10 of 15 points with the bad result coming from a rare break or two going KC's way. Even CLB is playing better and better than KC currently. Don't get angry because someone is holding up a mirror and showing you reality.

KC could defy all logic, win out, and still easily finish third in the East. Our guys' season is begining to resemble the "flesh wound" scene from "Holy Grail".

Do you yield oh valiant knight?

It's only a scratch...

But you've got no legs.

:(:eek:

18. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Denial ain't just a river.

your circular logic, or writing style, has confused me and i'm not exactly sure what point you're trying to make anymore. whatever the case, i know we've been in this same position for three years now and i see no reason to expect the sun to come up shining after the way we've been lumping the ball around again. we look more like gansler-ball than CO-ball.

19. PezJunkie

PezJunkie Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Independence, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure how long it will last, but FoxSoccer.com currently has this article (appears to be from the AP) with the title "Wizards 72, Fire 2".

Hrm... maybe next time?

20. Jarnevic

Jarnevic BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 21, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those numbers reflect either "total minutes of possession"* or "average number of beers consumed by fans in attendance."

*the remaining 16 minutes are attributed to Blanco rolling around on the ground in agony.

21. KCRovert

KCRovert BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    during the broadcast on HDnet, they commented on a statement made by the Chicago coach following the loss in KC on Wednesday, that he felt Blanco was unfairly "trageted" in the match on Wednesday. Something about how the KC players were out to get Blanco....lol

22. Redfoot

Redfoot New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just saw the highlights on the fox soccer report earlier today. Garcia is to blame for Chicago's second he just lets Carr go unmarked in the center of the box on the corner kick. All they showed were the goals and EJ's chance that he put over with his left foot from the right side of the box after he beat Gutierrez.

23. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    The trip was great, and we probably had 30+ in our section. A ton of fun in pregame, during, and post. We met a group from Ontario that traveled down in a charter bus just to see the game despite not really supporting either club. They had about 20 cases of Alexander Keith's IPA and bagpipes. Now those were hardcore soccer fans.

I thought the team played better than the scoreline, but that freekick really was good enough to deserve a goal. Chicago got more than their fair share of easy whistles and Blanco was happy to use the ref for everything he was worth. A much better crowd than last year's game, and I liked the corner section more than behind the goal.

Still it seemed everyone had a great time, and it was really nice to get so many non Cauldron regulars to make the trip up. Maybe even Beech will make one of these someday. :D

24. Beech

Beech Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trust me, I asked/informed. The leash just wasn't there. Wife tolerates soccer but between BigSoccer, running an outdoor, playing on an indoor, Wizards games and functions combined with existing guy trips, and all the recovery times associated therein, it wasn't going to happen. I've been trying for every one since US/Mexico 1 in Columbus and haven't been able to.

As for the game, didn't see it. Sounds like it was just another of our July/August performances.

25. PezJunkie

PezJunkie Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Independence, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not entirely... this one was even worse because we completely dominated the game for the first ~65 minutes.