Kasey Keller

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Ronaldinho, Sep 3, 2002.

1. Captain10

Captain10 Member

Jul 26, 2000
    Marietta, GA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keller is a magician. Over his career he has taken a small and lightly regarded club -- Rayo Vallecano -- and helped them to first place in La Liga (for nearly a third of a season) and a post-season tournament berth, and now again he has taken Tottenham and helped them to first place in the Premiership. I'm not saying he's done it all by himself, but he sure has been a major factor for these two teams' ascendence.

By the way, I was calling for Keller during the World Cup -- especially after the Poland game. I think he would have done just as well -- if not better than -- Friedel in the next two games...

2. Yankee_Blue

Yankee_Blue New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Talk about Scotland and their players (Scotland is my second favorite netional team). What does a Scottish goalkeeper and Dracula have in common?

Both are deathly afraid of crosses.... :)

3. dlatane

dlatane New Member

May 9, 2002
    Hoddle stayed with Sullivan too long last season, when he had some very dodgy games. Looking at the clean sheets for Spurs with Sullivan in goal last season (practically none), versus Keller at Leicester, he might have noticed a pattern.

Keller's goof-up against Mexico was a fluke; better to remember the 1-0 victory over Brazil, when a mortal performance might have seen a 5-1 loss.

4. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Very good point.

5. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Er.. well, to play devil's advocate, Rayo frequently rotated him with Barcelona reject Julian Lopetegui.

6. irishFS1921

irishFS1921 New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    things were rough last season and it just seemed as though hoddle favored sullivan. most say he was hoping for a return to form?! (i never really knew he held a high form) because we knew we were midtable and there was no fear of relegation so we weren't loosing anything by leaving sullivan in.

don't look for us to dump him though. the top guys say we've got plenty of money so there's no need to loose sullivan. which means keller could still be in jeopardy once sullivan heals. if hoddle does favor sullivan he could return. now if we stay top 5 i doubt he'd be stupid enough to throw him back in the mix considering keller has been a huge part of our strong defense this year.

i can say i'm a keller fan :D
    glory glory!
    -irish

7. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Actually Lopetegui played in more of the cup games than Keller did but Kasey was first choice when it came to league games.

8. Cruyff14

Cruyff14 New Member

Aug 29, 2000
    C****& whatever***
    Rotation leads one to beleive that it was equal amount of playing time. Kasey had by far more playing time the the other guy.
    Towards the end of season the other guy got some playing time.
    cheers

9. Cruyff14

Cruyff14 New Member

Aug 29, 2000
    I'll always remember the mexico vs US game . at RFK stadium.Score 4-0. I was behind the goal and Kasey went post to post flat out to knock the ball around the post. This happened twice in the game. He made tremendious saves all day to keep a clean sheet.
    There is no way anyone can convince me the Kasey is not The number one based on his continious meraculios saves. i have learned that in the face of danger and threat Kasey will prevail!!!!!
    One time I was talking to him before the Mexico game.
    The practice had broke and players were mingling with the fans. I spoke with Kasey for 45 minutes. The whole time while he was talking to me he was doing sit-ups.
    cheers

10. andylovesoccer

Sep 2, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Despite being a Barcelona reject, which by no means relegates one to suckiness, wasn't Lopetegui the starter for Spain's national team? and a crowd favorite? So now Keller has displaced two international quality keepers that were fan favorites at consecutive clubs. I don't see how you could draw anything negative from that career.