Karim Benzema suspended from France team

Discussion in 'France: National Teams' started by pindal, Dec 10, 2015.

1. pindal

pindal Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Benzema has been suspended from the French national soccer team until an investigation into possible blackmail involving Valbuena’s sex tape is concluded.
    The president of France’s soccer federation, Noël Le Graët, said Thursday: “I have decided that he is not available for selection” . He called dropping Benzema a “heartbreaking” decision.

So mates, if he won't be avaible for the euro, Giroud is of course the obvious choice for the centre forward but who should be his backup?
    Gignac, Delort, Lacazette, Germain, Jeannot are the forwards who scored more goals so far this season. Who would you give a place in the national team?

2. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Would be nice to see delort and giroud up front tours fc old guard

Allez les bleus !

pindal and SportBoy333 repped this.
  3. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Doesnt he always get selected just because he plays for Real Madrid ? Good riddance.

StarrMatthieu repped this.
  4. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Funny how I read people saying Giganc will hurt his call up chances playing in Mexico. It did just the opposite as he's a virtual lock now.

5. SuperSebGrimaldi

May 28, 2007
    Scarsdale, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Lock? I wouldn't put it that far, lock if there were a friendly tomorrow though Gignac at best is a backup.

It is not the most probable scenario now (especially after Giroud just had a hat trick), though if Martial and Coman continue to grow, it's conceivable Martial could start in the #9 role with Coman and Griezmann on the wings. Not very probable due to DD usually opting for veterans but wouldn't be impossible. Henry did start most games at France 98 and Martial overall has looked better in the NT than Giroud has when they've both played.

Right now the pecking order would look like, in my opinion, off what I know about how DD sees things:

1a. Giroud
    1b. Martial
    2. Gignac
    3. Lacazette

Delort, Germain and Jeannot are quite long shots right now... and they are mostly out and out strikers of which there's already Giroud and Gignac, so even with Benz out an attacking mid type could be included instead

6. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i hope not, he's crap.

Pandore repped this.
  7. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France

8. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    He wanna show off the fact that they can get a lot of goals no disrespect the Mexican soccer I think it's going to go back to Europe this winter or summer soon

9. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What about Coman?

10. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Not a fan same with martial

11. SuperSebGrimaldi

May 28, 2007
    Scarsdale, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Really? We have not had two outstanding offensive youngsters like Martial and Coman since at least Ben Arfa and Benzema... if not Henry and Trezeguet

lefutur repped this.
  12. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Off topic but this didn't warrant its own thread. I have 2 tickets to match 48(QF in St. Denis, most likely France will be playing) in category 1, looking to trade for 2 tickets in Bordeaux for match 47, any cat is fine.

13. Synonyme4279

Synonyme4279 New Member

Dec 24, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Im not a fan of Coman too. Same for Martial.

14. Wai93

Wai93 Member

May 11, 2015
    Malaysia
    http://www.goal.com/en-my/news/3889...e-benzema-must-play-at-euro-2016?ICID=HP_TS_4

The Real Madrid coach has insisted France cannot afford not to select a player of the striker's calibre as he continues to be excluded from international football

Real Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane has urged the French Football Federation (FFF) to allow Karim Benzema to represent his country at Euro 2016.

Benzema has been suspended by the FFF until the legal investigation into his involvement in an alleged plot to blackmail international team-mate Mathieu Valbuena has been concluded.

That has put his participation at the home European Championship this summer in doubt and Zidane says Les Bleus will be seriously damaging their chances of victory if Benzema is not involved.

"France cannot afford to ignore a player of Benzema's calibre," Zidane told Le Foot.

"When we look at his numbers and everything he does on the field, we cannot let a play of this level go."

15. Persona

Persona Member

Feb 24, 2014
    I think they looked great going forward in the internationals last month without Benzema, and adding him to the team would do more harm than good when you think about locker room dynamics.

Addition by subtraction.

16. Pandore

Pandore Member+

Jun 24, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    All I have to say is that I think it's ridiculous to leave out a player like him.

I was way more excited about the euro 2 years ago when I didn't know that many quality players wouldn't end up being selected.

17. Persona

Persona Member

Feb 24, 2014
    If what comes out of the investigation is true, Benezma is a disgrace to the national team and should never wear the blue shirt again. The fact that he's under criminal investigation is bad enough and warrants him losing his NT spot, no matter how good he is.

The FFF made the right decision. Blackmailing players, let alone a fellow countryman is indefensible.

18. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i don't know where you're getting your information from but your appreciation of the situation is wildly inaccurate.

benzema never blackmailed anyone; apparently he in fact advised valbuena not to pay. he was under an accusation of abetting the blackmailers via one of his old neighborhood "friends" who took advantage of him to gain access to valbuena. he was never arrested or finally charged with anything. as far as the courts are concerned the affair is over for him except as a witness.

benzema is far from the only pro sportsman to get caught up in something unsavory through old friends. in a paradoxical way it's almost to his credit that he stays in touch with his old neighborhood (which isn't a very good one and I should know, it starts just a few blocks from mine). he "hasn't forgotten where he came from".

karim benzema has always been an upright young man, something not always easy in the circumstances he grew up in, and continue to be surrounded by as a professional footballer. all his present and former coaches support him with great conviction. just read what Zidane and Houillier say about him.

if the truth be told his character is better than that of either gignac or giroud who aren't angels by any means.

19. Persona

Persona Member

Feb 24, 2014
    If what you are saying is true, will he be back with the team? He is a world class striker, if not, are you saying politics are to blame?

20. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    deschamps made a decision based on a "charter of ethics" that if really observed to the letter could probably keep half the team out of the euro and him included. he's currently under investigation for something more serious than benzema.

the benzema case became a political issue with the prime minister weighing in with his very useful two cents... I think DD's decision was more to avoid further distraction than it was based on benzema's own situation. so yes, it was a political and media issue more than a criminal one.

21. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    it's worth noting that completely aside from this scandal benzema has not been popular with fans here in france which made the decision easier: you'd be surprised how many people here have been wanting him off the team for years but as we all know, 90% of fans don't know s*** from shinola,

22. Caribe_Soy

Caribe_Soy Member

Feb 26, 2016
    Lausanne, CH
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    If I were French I would be happy that Benzema is suspended from the National Team, I love him, he is a great player, one of the best in the world but I wouldn't want to have in my NT a player who says things like "France is only about sport", "Algeria is my country". He should have played for Algeria. Football clubs are already full of "mercenaries", and is ok, but the NT should be only for players who feel it.

Tunechi241 and StarrMatthieu repped this.
  23. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I also feel that France is better off without Benzema, just like they are better off without Ribery. Benz obviously doesnt care as much about playing for France as much as his club football. As for the sex tape scandal its maybe a much ado about nothing but its a distraction nevertheless. That said, Giroud hasnt been lighting it up lately for Arsenal so I think DD needs to find a solution quickly.

24. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    IM HEARING NICE IS BECOMING MORE Arab and muslim than MARSEILLE nice WAKE UP FRANCE WE NEED THE FRONT NATIONAL AND TRUMP !!!!

25. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais