Kante placed on Waivers

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by revsfan21, Aug 5, 2004.

1. revsfan21

revsfan21 New Member

May 20, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    "The Revolution announced this week that defender Daouda Kante has been placed on waivers. Kante then went unclaimed by the other nine teams in MLS and is now free to seek oppurtunities with other clubs."
    -Revolution vs. Crew Miscellaneous Team Notes

Does this mean they are opening up a senior international spot for Steve Howey?

2. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It may not mean that, but it certainly denotes that someone else is coming in since there is absolutely no good reason to intentionally create a hole in this roster as depeleted as it is. At least with Kante on the bench there is the chance that he can play, a non-existent player can't suit up.

Wonder what the Revs have up their sleeve? I wouldn't be surprised if we were surprise ;)

3. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They may just be passing him through waivers so that they can renegotiate his contract.

4. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you renegitiate downward a contract that is already below the poverty line :eek:

Seriously, it's hard to imagine there can be any other reason for this move other than the Revs getting ready to sign an Senior International. WHO???
    Heck if it's Howie Big Frank will have a stroke :)

5. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if Kante wasn't making much already, seems strange that we would have the wherewithal to sign someone else.

6. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS and theteams have hatched some very strange payment schemes over the years. For example I think Bo in LA was/is being paid almost nothing by the team with most of his pay coming by way of the local Korean community. It could be that who ever is coming has agreed to defer some or all of his pay to next year so they can play this season. It could be that it's a player whose had some good paydays (in the EPL) and has some put aside :rolleyes:

7. Fiero20

Fiero20 Member

Aug 3, 2002
    Gillette Stadium
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i thought we already had a SI spot available from either Hernanderz or Nowak. correct me if im wrong.

did we already use the one from Serna?

8. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Allocations aren't roster spots anymore, they're bundles of cash.

9. crash2772

crash2772 New Member

Mar 18, 2001
    opening a spot for a new addition is certainly a possiblity...

however there are definitely others:

- Kante knew he wasnt going to play much this season (if at all), so maybe he asked out to start searching for a new team (a-league or otherwise).

- Perhaps a personal reason? (his wife, family, brother, etc...)

- he was no longer a positive influence in practice/ for the team... so his presence as a sub will not be missed when compared to his negative influence (speculation-- i have heard he is the opposite... i'm just throwing out ideas)

that said, a new player is probably the most likely option...

we do have two allocations no? one to get the player, the other to defer salary?

I hope it is a striker :)

10. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't remember the details but I think we got rid of one of the two we had at the beginning of the season already. Of course the way things work within MLS, when it comes to matter of money and the Jello Rules in general it's MEGA hard to know for sure what the Revs do or do not have on the shelf.

My best guess is that we still have one allocation.

11. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    All contracts are guaranteed as of July 1 of the remainder of the year whether a play is waived or not.

12. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that's that then. Thanks for pointing out the date.

13. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    As I pointed out in the Howey thread a while back, you can creatively construct a contract that pays minimally for the remainder of this season, but has a significant hike for future years (some portion of which would probably have to be "guaranteed"). That pushes the cap concerns off to next year, which I assume will be addressed with the departure of JMM and Llamosa (most definitely, if Howey is the new face).

The Revs don't make roster moves until they really have to, so I think they have their man and want to get the paperwork rolling so that he can get his visa ASAP.

14. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    "Does this mean they are opening up a senior international spot for Steve Howey?"

It could, if Howey was still a consideration (which he doesn't seem at all to be at present). Anecdotally, it's been suggested time and time again that the Revs are owed an allocation from the league for the departure of Daniel Hernandez, but there's been nothing to suggest that the club has already received compensation for this, nor will they.

There's also the matter of money, which the Revs aren't exactly blessed with at present.

15. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    Danzinho did confirm that the Revs are due some kind of "allocation" (whatever the term connotes at this point in time) for Hernandez. At the time, however, he also noted that MLS' labrynthine rules regarding when and how you can use such allocations make have made using it problematic.

Besides the Revs have no cap room, so it's probably moot until next year.

16. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes but----why would the Revs cut a player that they would have to be paying anyway if the didn't have a plan for his roster slot. It may not be Howie (I hope for Big Franks sake it isn' :p) but it sure looks like they have someone on the way in either as a player new to the league or as part of a trade. As rumored after the latest Wonderkind went to the Crew instead of the Mutts there could be a "big" three way trade in the works. Who knows.

I'm betting we have a player new to MLS on his way onto the squad. At this juncture I'm giving 2-1 that it's not Howie.

17. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I vote for this one. This is simply the team giving a player that wouldn't play until EVERYONE else was hurt or dead a chance to find employment somewhere else.

18. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA

There's a silver lining in every dark cloud, it's true, it's true....

David

19. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Nicol has been known to make some unexpected trades/signings. So this could be a guy that we have never heard of, or someone who has been followed by the club in the past. Maybe a white horse will bring him in.

20. crash2772

crash2772 New Member

Mar 18, 2001
    I agree. I didnt know anything about Avery John until it was announced he was signed....

we knew Nicol knew him.

we knew he suddenly came to practice.

Then, over about 3 games he went from emergency replacement, to one of the best defenders we've ever had in my opinion.

Like i said before, I hope it is an offensive minded player-- i really think our D is set, especially with the return of Rusty to the bench.

21. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I think we should wait to do something until the season is over. I thought the Revs could win it all this year but instead they've been literally ********ED by injuries.

22. brianzappa

brianzappa Member

Oct 21, 2003
    In a big country
    Literally?!! Ouch! I had no idea! Maybe that's why we got off to such a poor start! ;)

23. BigFrank

BigFrank New Member

Apr 3, 1999
    Dublin, Ireland
    If the Revos still want to sign Howey, fine.
    It'll be their mistake.
    Not like they haven't made so many of them before.

If he is what they are looking to bringing in, it will just signify their intent is to stay at the bottom of the league whether intentionally or not.

24. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I don't get it? How would Howey hurt them? Besides injuries, there only problem is that they need a big-time/all-star caliber defender. Yah, Shalrie Joesoph was an all-star, but he's a defensive mid. They need some1 to fill Llamosa's shoes talent wise. There back 4 (well it changes a lot, but I'll just take a guess that when they're healthy these 4 will star in the back) is: Heaps, Franchino, John, and Pierce; all 4 are solid, but none of them big stars. They need a star defender, which they dont have. Yah, I know they should concentrate on getting evry1 healthy first!

25. BigFrank

BigFrank New Member

Apr 3, 1999
    Dublin, Ireland
    Older, injury-prone with a questionable attitude that would take up valuable cap space and an international slot.

The wrong player. At the wrong time in his career.

He might be able to help short time, assuming he was fit enough to play. Which apparently he isn't.
    But it would be a one-step forward and three steps back situation. Just the type of move the Revos have made throughout their history and have paid for by having the worst all-time record in league history.

So if they want to bring him in, go for it. It'd be business as usual at the Mausoleum of Soccer.