Kansas City Soccer Show

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by morry, Jul 10, 2010.

1. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gone already?

I'll admit to listening a few times earlier in the season and just looked at the website to see if it was beginning soon and it isn't listed. What happened?

2. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got a text from the Wizards a little bit ago saying it was starting in 10 mins...

3. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so...............the wizards are responding to my bigsoccer thread by texting you and letting you reply?

4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, they send out a text every week reminding people the show is on.

5. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the show is on and already they said we were playing RSL instead of Chivas

6. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    joke

7. jwhise802

jwhise802 New Member

Jul 14, 2010
    Club:
    Kommunalnik Slonim
    Hey everyone,

Josh Whisenhunt here, I co-host the show with Jake each Saturday morning. I think this is the second thread pertaining to the show, and I just wanted to chime in and say that if there are topics that you wish we would cover more, or less, or just at all, please let us know. You can write on here to do that, you can call or email 810, or you can even harass Jake (jake@810whb.com).

The show was created to encourage participation from the soccer fans in this city on the radio. Whenever you want to voice your opinion on something, just call in. We've had some good, intelligent conversations so far but we're always looking to have more, and I know you guys can provide that. Thanks.

8. spinman

spinman Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Kansas City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jake and Josh do a great job. It's nice to have a radio segment specifically for soccer. Now can we get it during the week?

9. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    as an out of town listener I'd love to hear more about the local scene-

youth- high school- college- Wizards, only because Big Soccer can't replicate the banter of conversation

10. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bumping the thread for a question

Would it be possible to have a dedicated podcast feed for all things Soccer (or Wizards) from 810? I subscribed to the "Additional Programming" but I really don't want to have to wade through the other stuff to get to the stuff I'm interested in.

11. jaggdd

jaggdd Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only other stuff to wade through is "Rany on the Royals" and some extreme fighting show.

If you like baseball even in the least, listen to Rany's show. He is fascinating and knows his stuff!

12. Jarnevic

Jarnevic BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 21, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also follow him on Twitter.

13. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been reading Rany's blog for what feels like forever- without him I wouldn't even follow the Royals anymore.

14. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    What's rany's twitter handle?

15. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @jazayerli

16. jwhise802

jwhise802 New Member

Jul 14, 2010
    Club:
    Kommunalnik Slonim
    Evening, everyone--

This week's podcast is available. College football previews took over 810's morning schedule so we are currently on air Wednesday's at 8 PM. Kind of a bummer, but we are still going to make it work.

http://www.810whb.com/podcasts

As always, any feedback at all is appreciated. Have a great weekend, see you on Sunday.

--JW

17. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Josh - Bigsoccer is hell week everyday with the harsh criticisms we throw around about announcers/media efforts. I've got to say, I love your demeanor on air, your knowledge of the game both domestic and foreign. Clear concise questions, well-thought out stuff. Glad to hear your voice on the broadcasts as well at times. You've got the most natural on-air delivery I think of anyone we've had doing a major media role for the wizards.

18. kareemcheese

kareemcheese Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Olathe, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the midweek! Too busy Saturday mornings with family/home/ kids' soccer...Enjoy having a beer in the evening and tuning in.

Just wish it was longer and/or MORE OFTEN!

19. jwhise802

jwhise802 New Member

Jul 14, 2010
    Club:
    Kommunalnik Slonim
    Good evening,

A live Kansas City Soccer Show on 810 is currently on hold until the baseball playoffs conclude :)confused:). We are still going to record a podcast during that time, however. As always, if there's anything you'd like to hear about or guests you'd like to hear from, please feel free to post on here!

I look forward to seeing everyone on Saturday for CAB's last. It was a pleasure meeting some of you in the Cauldron during the Seattle match.

Thanks,
    JW

20. jaggdd

jaggdd Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Josh -

Some feedback:

We're always speculating and arguing on these boards about what the Wizards need to do to gain bigger and better exposure in this town; and what the sport in general needs to do to continue growing in this country. There's a great podcast called "The American Soccer Show", that often touches on that from the perspective of some non-Wizards MLS/USMNT fans. Maybe you and Jake could talk about some of those issues as part of your coverage and have callers weigh in on it.

I know those kinds of conversations get heated here on the boards; but that could make for some good radio -- lord knows I can't help but keep the dial on when I hear two voices going at it and trying to get to the meat of the issues -- and American soccer definitely has its issues (media bias against the MLS, 2nd division chaos, ownership rebranding of the team and why that brand isn't successful in our market, our national team's struggles on the pitch, our local team's struggles on the pitch, our team's lack of a radio presence outside of you guys (NO live games!), the fact that you guys get put on hold entirely for baseball playoffs instead of moved around the nights the games are on)...

21. jwhise802

jwhise802 New Member

Jul 14, 2010
    Club:
    Kommunalnik Slonim
    Happy Friday, guys and gals!

Jake and I recorded a podcast last night that went a bit longer than expected so we split it into two parts.

http://bit.ly/gOwMXi

Part 1: LIVESTRONG Sporting Park, Gold Cup announcement, Callum Williams, Champions League recap

Part 2: Interview with Matt Besler

The interview with Matt was particularly enjoyable. I've always liked his chances to establish himself as a solid centerback in this league, and from speaking to him--as well as the coaches--it seems like he's ready to take hold of the opportunity this year.