Kansas City at Real Salt Lake (Saturday May 1st, 1PM CT) [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by vividox, Apr 27, 2021.

1. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Game #3! Maybe see more starters in the lineup this week?

mschofield repped this.
  2. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More struggles with the back line and more juggling with the midfield and attack leads me to my prediction: RSL 2 SKC 0

3. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Status for Isi? If he's back we've got a shot--that's my hot take.

mschofield repped this.
  4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was reported it was a bit precautionary that he was taken out. Media availability with PV isn't until Thursday, I'm sure it'll be asked then.

Inca Roads and mschofield repped this.
  5. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The announcers (at least on DAZN) said during the last broadcast that PV held Pulido and Russell out of the starting lineup for Orlando out of an abundance of caution. Both were healthy enough to go 90, but it's a long season so why not ease them in. Pulido looks to be ready to start. Russell looks as if he could be, but maybe he's a bit behind and gets a half this week?
    Pulido starting probably means Busio starts in the midfield. The midfield, IMO, looked sharper when he moved back there last week.PV pulled Kinda last week, and Kinda was not having a great game when it happened, but I do think he's one of the guys who have to playing well for us to hit or even near our ceiling. I think Walter starts again. I was interested in the Blue Testament "slow afoot" comment. I get the sense that he's one of those players whose movement is slow roll, but I don't know that I've seen him outpaced when it matters. But I'm watching on a screen, any thoughts?
    The one player I really see needing a benching at this point is Shelton. Maybe it's just that you do look better playing with Pulido and Russell, but he's looked off, and seeing as what he brings are a lot of little things, looking off means looking bad. If Russell isn't ready to start, maybe it's a front line of Salloi, Pulido and Kinda. Kinda then moves back to spell Roger when he starts to tire, and when Russell can finally come on?
    I also am really hoping Isi is ready to go. He's a good match with Fontas, and would be a good match with Puncec, IMO. Puncec and Fontas are a flawed set.
    Also, I'm a big believer that one of the things Melia does really well is organize his defense. I think everyone takes a step forward when he returns. I guess that's another week or two out? In the meantime, I'm hoping that Pulskamp getting this much time this early in his career pays off in the long term for us.

Inca Roads repped this.
  6. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'm definitely ready to see lineups and tactics normalize. I remain hesitant about our backline in general, and like everyone else I have no idea what a best III midfield looks like.

I am really intrigued to see if Salloi could up his form enough to bench Shelton. That would be wildly wholesome for him. Watching him play and I realize I really have enjoyed rooting for him out there. Obviously Russell and Pulido are locks. That LW spot is a bit up for grabs. If Salloi or Shelton can't nail it in, I do wonder if we see Vermes hunting in the summer for someone.

mschofield repped this.
  7. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with a lot of this. Talking about Kinda.... I can't believe that someone on the coaching staff hasn't beat some sense into that guy. He is very talented and athletic, but makes terrible tactical decisions. He will dribble right into two or three defenders and lose the ball or will pass the ball to the opposition. Makes me crazy. Shelton seems to have reverted back to his pre-Germany form. I would love to see him get that back sooner rather than later. And what about Salloi? I'm not buying his stock just yet. I like what I'm seeing so far, but if he is our first option on the wing, it may be a long dry season.

mschofield repped this.
  8. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I agree. The one mitigating we hope is a factor in this is that the attack looks really different when Russell and Pulido can play. Maybe Shelton and Kinda look better when they're playing with two people who draw a lot of attention away from them? Maybe Shelton is smarter when the people sharing his line are really smart?
    I'm thinking Salloi over Shelton right now because Salloi is producing. True, last year Shelton looked to have turned a corner. but three years ago, Salloi looked like a just about to bust a move star.

IASocFan repped this.
  9. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

mschofield and Inca Roads repped this.
  10. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Damn.

Hang in there, new buddy. We need you to function all season long. Also wouldn't mind Melia back...

11. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Chest? Ouch. I think it's great that Pulskamp got the experience of a couple games at the start of the season. but he's looking more and more nervous out there, and I'm worried that the progress and warm fuzzies might be in trouble if he has a bad outing. I'd like Melia back ASAP.

12. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't mind Melia back but I don't think Pulskamp is to blame for us dropping 2 points vs Orlando.

13. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Just FTR I don't know that anyone does think that. He's been fine (distribution needs a bit of work). But he's ready to sit on the bench and reflect on what he's seen and become better for it, and prepare better for it, and come back to the lineup when he's more ready. I fear a confindence shattering outing that could set him back years.
    I might be projecting. I remember at his age, after a season in which I was pretty decent, never gave up more than 1, the Big 8 tourney came and against Iowa State in a heavy rain it was 6 or 7 or whatever goals later at halftime, I was done, mentally, and cut to boot. The difference would be that Pulskamp is actually good, of course.

14. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Sorry, not what I was getting at.

Pulskamp has done just fine! But Melia has a rep for being an excellent goalie for a number of reasons. I'm pretty excited to see the kid coming along but I am okay with our legendary starter back on the team sheet.

Albeit it remains to be seen where we are at in Tim's career.

mschofield repped this.
  15. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Feeling nostalgic, so 2-1 to us, since there is no extra time or PK shootout

16. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'm rooting for Rad here but damn are he and Fontas just completely invisible when crosses come in...

Definitely getting killed out wide on through balls. Feels familiar.

17. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They’re being forced wider to help because the midfield/wingers aren’t getting wide to help Lindsey/Martins. Midfield has been really bad today defensively. Walter especially.

18. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Fair. Like that third goal there... You can blame Lindsay and Rad, and they deserve it, but where was the midfield? Rubin took like half an hour to take that shot.

19. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roster is relegation quality.

dgb09 and BenDover repped this.
  20. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Started really bright. They have quality... Just don't seem to have a full game's worth?

21. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets put the blame squarely where it belongs : the coaching staff.

22. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For putting this roster together and thinking irmt would be competitive, OK. Otherwise PV has proven over and over he can't make in game adjustments.

Five or six of the startes, yes. Rad, Lindsey, Salloi, Fontas, Martins and Illie no.

23. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A 19 year old making his first MLS appearance and we're already ready to say he doesn't have the quality to play. At some point all these HGPs have to prove if they can play at this level or not, if you're not going to why sign them? And when they do get their chance, they're going to have growing pains, like today.

I'm personally also surprised you include Shelton in the ones that do, he was invisible most of the game. Walter wasn't much better higher up the field today.

24. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what a shitty defensive performance. proper 2019 form.

25. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't care how old a player is or if this is his first of 50th start. These are professionals. They are not paid to develop, they are paid to win. I watched the second half and Rad was at least partly responsible for both goals. Maybe the kid will be a great CB. Maybe he won't. From what I saw today he shouldn't be starting over any CB on the roster.

As for your HGP comment, that is the problem. They are clearly using this this season to see if the kids can play. Extended test drives are what the second team and loans are for.