Kansas City at Colorado (Sat Mar 12th, 8:00PM CT) [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by vividox, Mar 8, 2022.

1. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Game the Third.

Atlanta, who spanked us Week 1, got spanked by Colorado Week 2. This one could be tough.

2. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By transitive theory we'll lose 6-1.

mschofield and vividox repped this.
  3. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's MLS. We win 2-1. :D

dgb09 and IASocFan repped this.
  4. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Shelton going to be ready for the game? He was subbed off with a calf injury last week but I have have not heard the latest if he recovered enough to play. It wouldn't break my heart if he is not starting,,,,

5. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's listed as questionable.

6. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    But what's his injury status?

Inca Roads repped this.
  7. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    But that's on a straight line. If it's a circle, couldn't the fact that while Atlanta was too fleet for us, but not fast enough to worry Colorado, mean that, against us, Colorado is simply too fast for their own good? You use the transitive theory. I suggest the Tortoise and the Hare.

8. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The tortoise? I didn’t think SKC was that fast.

mschofield repped this.
  9. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First half....I like what Tzionis brings. Willing to dribble at people. Plays a bit like JFR

10. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Streak of me falling asleep while watching whatever this is now 2.

11. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like it, at times I'd like to have him find a pass, there was at least 1 moment in the second half where he started dribbling across the field and had Russell unmarked streaking toward the box and played him too late.

The offense tonight was not good. Vujnovic gets a pass since he's had less than 5 practices with this team, but man it was not good tonight. There was the 10 minute period at the end of the 1st half and that was about it.

Looking at fotmob, KC's xG was .65 with the highest shots being .08 by Duke.

mschofield repped this.
  12. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fairly boring game again this week. Three games into the season and SKC has scored 1 goal and has 5 against. Not a good start. The summary of this game was easy to capture:
    Colorado -
    1. Better team
    2. Better game plan
    3. Executed their plan
    4. Out-coached the other guy
    SKC:
    1. Worse team
    2. Same old game plan
    3. Poor execution of their same old plan.
    4. Got out-coached by the other guy

Let’s see if PV can put a professional looking soccer team together by next Saturday in Chicago.

13. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching him is a bit like watching your kids team play with a guest player from Legends

Inca Roads repped this.
  14. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2 goals. But everything else is accurate.

This gave me a nice laugh, thank you.

15. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I thought Duke was a massive positive for us. that was balanced out by the fact that hernandez was a negative, and roger is still old.
    huge problem developing, and already here, for us: Zusi has started all of our games and gone 90 (I think) in each. I'm not saying the book on him having lost a step is out, but Colorado's attack, when it wasn't breakaway time (TBF, most of the time was that) was stretching Zusi. It was good to see Pierre get 10 minutes for Johnny, but we have to manage Zusi's legs better. this goes doubly for Espinoza, who looked tired and slow by minute two.
    Question, can Sweat (Sweet?) or Logan N play RB? they seem our two best outside backs at the moment, shame that they play they same spot.
    I agree that T-Zone needs to consider passes in the final third, esp when the seem to be the more obvious option that continuing a dribble into a dead end, but I don't mind the aggression he's showing.
    I haven't yet jumped into the stats on this, because I'm a bit depressed by us right now, but there was a point about 40 minutes in when the tracking stats on DAZN noted that the possession battle was leaning heavily (55-45) in the Rapids favor, which made me wonder what the numbers would look like if they were tracking possession that actually looked to be furthering an approach. Just a guess, but I'd say at least a third of our possession was Fontas to Isi to Zusi to Isi to Walter to Fontas to Isi... As the Colorado announcers noted (and i thought they did a nice job) Colorado was giving us that, but trying to button up our mids, which they did.
    Also, their first goal and a great breakaway chance both came from shaggy lines on our part, an away from the ball player holding a guy on who should have been off, Zusi on the first and Isi on the second. Zusi's was just poor play on his part. Isi was a tactic that we've seen all season. When the ball gets into Fontas's zone, he drops back as an outlet. Colorado was setting themselves up to take advantage of that.
    In short, it's gonna be a long season. Our cieling right now may be 4th, our floor may be 10th.

16. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm gonna give the attacking line a bit of a pass this game, even though I thought JFR was really poor all game. The midfield, though, was terrible. Count me as someone firmly not on the Felipe Hernandez hype train. I've never seen anything from him that tells me he's going to become a fixture in an MLS midfield. He's not bad, and thus will always have a place on an MLS roster, but I don't see the technique, creativity, or athleticism needed to push a midfield forward. I only see enough of those qualities for him to not be a negative. Unfortunately, Roger is now a player who is a negative contribution to a midfield. Duke added some life when he came on... enough that he should be starting over Hernandez... or rather he should be starting over Roger. Basically, we need Gadi back ASAP.

The defense isn't great, but they're far worse because of Vermes. Given the personnel and their abilities, Vermes, once again, deserves the lowest marks for his tactics. He's an above-average TM/GM, but a below-average game manager. I will go to my grave believing that many of our successes on the field during his reign will have been in spite of him, not because of him.

17. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's only funny because it's true. You're welcome!

As for the team, there are big issues on each line.

The back four is an odd mixture of two plodding players and two hyper athletic players. That group isn't working well together. Three games and they gave up 3 goals, 0 goals, and 2 goals. Last night, there were at least two unmarked headers missed by Colorado that could have made the score worse. The Houston game doesn't really count in my mind as they did not even try to get forward. So, we look like a team that will concede multiple goals per game if the other team actually tries to play soccer. This line continues to be my biggest concern as it just does not pass the eye test and PV will do nothing to help them by changing how he plays.

The midfield is not technical enough and not athletic enough to play in 3. Without Kinda, there is no offensive spark and no ideas going forward. The best setup for the team without Kinda would be double sixes and sitting back, but that won't happen.

The attack has 1 goal in three games. There is really nothing more to say than that.

Three games in and the soccer is both really bad and really boring. With Pulido and Kinda out with knee injuries, but still on the pay roll, the team is unlikely to get further relief through more players. The only hope is that the group gels during the season.

2022 feels like a half ass rebuild with a coach who knows he won't be held accountable because his two best players are on IR.

18. BitterSoccerFan

Jun 15, 2005
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He didn't attempt near enough "Maradona's" to fulfill that comparison!

19. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States