Juventus vs Benfica in Toronto on August 3rd

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by ECMoney, Jul 12, 2005.

1. ECMoney

ECMoney Member

May 9, 2003
    Toronto
    And nobody is saying that Juve vs Benfica won't sell out, regardless if it is Inter, Chelsea, or Benfica it will sell out here in Toronto.

ALSO, I dont think Benfica has more fans world wide then Inter, Inter are huge in Asia and are in the Top 5 for Jersey sales for the past decade (even though they don't win squat) which is very impressive. Inter has not won the Serie A since 1989 and they haven't won the champs league either. They did win a few UEFA cups in the 1990's but hardly anything to brag about for a club of that stature.

2. sportinglisbon1

sportinglisbon1 New Member

Jan 2, 2002
    Mississauga, ON.

I agree, please don't compare Befica's size and popularity to Inter's.... you're only embarrasing yourself.

3. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    Benfica's and Inter's fan base might actually be close in numbers. I'm not saying Benfica has more fans than Inter, but I think they may be close to one another.

4. RonaldoQuaresma88ca

RonaldoQuaresma88ca New Member

May 9, 2005
    I think Benficafan is deadright. Benfica might actually have more fans than Inter. There are large populations of fans in Portugal of course, Canada, the U.S., Australia, France, England, Mozambique, Angola, Brazil, Timor, Goa, Macao, Cape Verde, etc. It's nothing to sneeze at.

5. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada
    Most portuguese outside Portugal are Benfica fans.

The only portuguese team that gets pre-season broadcast is Benfica.

6. TastySimon

TastySimon New Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Toronto
    DUDE!! Learn to read!! I said "I cant see MANY" not "I cant see ANY"...I'm sure there would be fans that would go to see their favorite player, but which do you think is more likely, a fan travelling great distances to see his favourite player, or a fan travelling great distances to see his favourite club???

7. Stephen1164

Stephen1164 New Member

Jul 7, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think you can forget Chelsea since they play the Community Shield game in England on August 7th.

8. Portista69

Portista69 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    London,Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I'm not even a Benfica fan, if they were to come to Toronto the Rogers Centre would be sould out in a matter of minutes, don't they have 30 million fans worldwide :rolleyes:

9. TastySimon

TastySimon New Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Toronto
    What the heck are they waiting for to announce who Juve is going to play??

If it is indeed on Aug. 3, then thats like less than 3 weeks from now....Im getting all ansy!! :)

10. ECMoney

ECMoney Member

May 9, 2003
    Toronto
    As I said before, if Man United came to Toronto how many Portuguese would go to the game just to see their ONE player, their STAR. So what is the difference with Juve and the Czechs to see Nedved or the French to see Trezeguet, Vieira, and Thuram?

11. ECMoney

ECMoney Member

May 9, 2003
    Toronto

I don't know what they are waiting for but the Rogers centre (former Skydome) are not saying that their might not be enough time between an Argos game and a Blue Jay game to get the skydome ready? Who knows but the only venue in Toronto that can host a Juve game is the Rogers Centre so lets keep our fingers crossed.

12. ECMoney

ECMoney Member

May 9, 2003
    Toronto
    From TSN's website:

Juventus is supposed to play a pre-season game in Toronto on Aug. 3, as part of a two-game North American tour. But there is some confusion over the site.

A spokesman for the Rogers Centre said while Aug. 3 is an open date, there may not be enough time between a Toronto Argos' CFL game and a Blue Jays homestand to convert the field.

13. TastySimon

TastySimon New Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Toronto
    Maaaaan!! The Jays should just forfeit the game and let the Soccer fans have some fun...They'll probably loose anyways! :D Just kidding Jays fans! GO JAYS GO!! :)

14. ECMoney

ECMoney Member

May 9, 2003
    Toronto
    Looks like Juve has found their opponent....

Juventus and Crvena zvezda set to clash in Toronto

Serbian and Italian immigrants in Canada will probably “clash” once again on the stands of Rogers Centre in Toronto as after their national teams (Serbia & Montenegro vs. Italy 1:1) played a friendly match earlier this summer, it’s very likely that two famous clubs from these countries, Juventus Turin and Crvena zvezda Beograd will follow and play against each other at the beginning of August.

“The match is scheduled to be played on August 3rd, and there is no doubt that the interest of the local crowd will be huge,” said Dragan Stojkovic the president of Crvena zvezda Beograd and added: “It’s a bit bad timing for us considering the Serbo-Montenegrin Super League starts but we will sort it out with the Association of the top flight clubs that our first round match against Hajduk gets postponed for one day.

Therefore the battle that was started with the match between the national sides but ended without a winner will be continued through the two most popular clubs outside the domestic borders of Italy and Serbia & Montenegro. Juventus as actual Champion of Italy and Crvena zvezda the club that has just revealed that Italian legendary goalkeeper Walter Zenga is set to become the new coach are therefore to decide who plays better football at the current moment.

15. TastySimon

TastySimon New Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Toronto
    Juventus vs who??????

If its true that Benfica backed down, then I'm one very disappointed fan.

16. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    its true its true

17. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA
    I think Crvena zvezda translates to Red Star Belgrade. I'm assuming this because I read that Walter Zenga will be Red Star's new coach.

Red Star Belgrade won the European Cup back in 1991.