Juventus vs Benfica in Toronto on August 3rd

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by ECMoney, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA
    The Portugeezer! and I along with 30 other drunks are going to Foxboro to watch Chelsea - AC Milan. Anyone have a Liverpool shirt I can borrow? I'll have Mourhino, Carvalho, and Paul Ferreira sign the numbers on it.

2. Peruano018

Peruano018 New Member

Jun 9, 2005
    TORONTO
    Anyone with half a brain knows that if Inter where too come to Toronto to play it would be better than playin Befica ( Not to make Benfica look like there a second class team) Although Benfica would be one team to watch i would love to see a great Italian rivalry. So in closing i hope that its Inter vs. Juve in the T Dot.

3. CRISTIANO_RONALDO_7

CRISTIANO_RONALDO_7 New Member

Mar 20, 2005
    TORONTO

To who? Italians...:rolleyes: , anyway you have one team coming already, stop being so greedy and let us have a team to watch too!! Besides , there aren't any Italians left in T.O anymore , there all in Woodbrige !!!:p

4. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The Italian and Serbia & Monteneggro NT's couldn't get more then 20,000 while Porto X Liverpool damn near sold out the Skydome (more pool fans but there was atleast 20,000 Portuguese and their are way more Benfiquista's in Toronto (WAY MORE)

5. Portista69

Portista69 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    London,Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Nobody asked u for ur opinion, so just shut the Fvck up :mad:

6. ECMoney

ECMoney Member

May 9, 2003
    Toronto
    Porto vs Liverpool drew 40,000
    Roma vs Celtic drew 51,000

Did you forget to mention that! Anyways, the reason Italy vs Serbia didn't draw much is because the ticket prices were pretty steep and they announced that they were bringing their B team so that scared away alot of people but 22,000 was still a decent turnout. Juve vs Inter or Juve vs Benfica would get 50,000 no problem just as Roma vs Celtic did.

7. Portista69

Portista69 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    London,Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    ...yeah and Porto had their A squad right :rolleyes:

8. ECMoney

ECMoney Member

May 9, 2003
    Toronto
    I was there at the game, who was missing? Maniche?
    That was it.

You can compare that to Cassano who didnt make the trip for Roma.
    Same difference.

Anyways Italy had a solid B or C lineup against Serbia, not just one player missing. I went to all the games, and I had a great time at them all.

Liverpool vs Porto was very chippy.
    Roma vs Celtic was a bit better, Totti looked like man playing with boys.
    Italy vs Serbia was entertaining, alot of action back and forth.

Looking forward to Juve vs ??? on August 3rd

9. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Mostly Celtic fans mind you.

10. Portista69

Portista69 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    London,Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Maniche, Costinha, Nuno Valente, Benni McCarthy, Seitiridis and i'm sure there's a few more that i can't think off right now :cool:

11. ECMoney

ECMoney Member

May 9, 2003
    Toronto
    No it was about 50/50, there were alot of Celtic fans and alot of Italians so if anything Celtic had the minor edge. THE DAY BEFORE when Liverpool played Porto it was about 65/35 in favour of Liverpool.

12. ECMoney

ECMoney Member

May 9, 2003
    Toronto

Sometimes I wonder if you were even at the game.
    Benni McCarthy played the full 90 minutes. Nuno Valente also played the full 90 minutes. The only player missing was Maniche and Costinha as Maniche was on the verge of being sold but it never turned out. Derlei also played, Quaresma was there and so was Baia and Jorge Costa, etc.

13. joejoe3515

joejoe3515 Member

May 2, 2005
    Seriously, i Believe that They should have Benfica vs. Juventus at Toronto becasue it would draw more crowds. Then have Juventus vs. Inter at Giants because more italians are in New York.

14. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada
    If Benfica plays Juventus in Toronto it will sell out that is for sure.

15. ECMoney

ECMoney Member

May 9, 2003
    Toronto
    Juve vs Benfica or Juve vs Inter will both sell out in Toronto or New York, no difference.

16. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada
    Benfica Vs Juventus would have more than Vs Inter.

It is a matter of demographics. Portuguese and Italian would pack the dome, only Italians you would get maybe 25 thousand.

17. TastySimon

TastySimon New Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Toronto
    I agree...many non Benfica and non Juventus fans would go just for the Portugal vs Italy matchup.

18. ECMoney

ECMoney Member

May 9, 2003
    Toronto
    Wrong Wrong Wrong!
    Listen, if Benfica were to come and play Juve in Toronto it would definitely sell out. They would get their 50,000 and it would sell but Juve vs Inter would sell out just as easily if not quicker. This is why:

It's not just two Italian teams, a team like Juve or Inter for example has international superstars where Benfica or Porto doesn't. Porto has McCarthy, but hardly an international superstar. So Brazilians in Toronto would be more interested to watch Juve vs Inter because they would see Adriano and Emerson. Czech's would go to watch Nedved. French would see Trezeguet, etc, etc. They would attract ALOT more people. Since Toronto has a very big Italian and Portuguese communities the Benfica vs Juve game would sell too but the bigger clubs would ALWAYS attract more people for that reason above.

I remember a few years ago Parma came to Toronto to play the CSL all stars. The game was played at Varsity and the game was sold out, hosted about 22,000-25,000 and there were alot of Bulgarians there to see Hristo Stoichkov as at the time he was on Parma. There were also Argentinian flags there for a few guys on the team.

19. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    sorry you severly under-estimate how many SICK Benfiquistas there are in Toronto.

20. Peruano018

Peruano018 New Member

Jun 9, 2005
    TORONTO
    We dont underestimate the amount of portuguese fans in Toronto. I have a few very close friends who are Benfiquistas and they would love nothing more than seeing their team play Juve. But i must say a game between Juve and Inter would draw the 50 K for sure. Two world renouned teams like them no question at all. Also as mentioned above they have World Superstars.

But i got no problems wit them playin Benfica

21. TastySimon

TastySimon New Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Toronto
    I cant see many Chechs, Francs, or Brazillians coming over from the states to see 1 or 2 star players. I'm sure there are hordes of Benfica fans in the states that would come over to watch them play.

22. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    I agree. Benfica alone draws very well wherever they go.

23. ECMoney

ECMoney Member

May 9, 2003
    Toronto
    Toronto media is reporting that Juve will play Benfica if Chelsea can't be convinced to stay a few extra days. They also said that Juve will be playing Liverpool in NY.

24. benficafan100

benficafan100 New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    Oshawa Ontario
    Why does everyone keep saying Inter,Inter,Inter,Inter like come on you cant just say if it was Inter vs Juve it would sell out for sure thats BS you are not God you cant predict the future or whatever you cant just say if two Italian teams were to play against eachother they are immediatly going to sell out right away.You cant make that judgement,it seem's like the Italians that did post in this are trying to make Benfica a badly supported club,but the funny thing is we have probably more fans then Inter and many other "big name"clubs out their.Benfica has tons of fans in Canada,USA,Portugal and all throughtout the world.You just cant say "o their not going to sell out quicker but if it was Inter and Juve for sure it would sell out fast"thats BS you dont know that.I just wanted to give my look into this game and thread but yeah im done

25. ECMoney

ECMoney Member

May 9, 2003
    Toronto
    Cmon guy, who are you kidding. How old are you?
    What if Man United came to Toronto vs Barcelona?
    How many Portuguese would go JUST BECAUSE one player is Portuguese? And how many Brazilians would go JUST BECAUSE one player is Brazilian. Now let me rephrase that, WHEN JUVE COME to Toronto....you will see some Czechs there, you will see some French there, you will see Brazilians there (if they play Inter) and you will see Argentian's there, etc. If you think I am wrong, obviously you are young and unexperienced because I can tell you off the top of my head a few times when a team came and just because one or two players where on that team their nationally supported them.

Stoichkov when he played for Parma, Parma came to Toronto and TONS of Bulgarians where there. I even remember asking my friend where all these Bulgarians came from.

Inter Milan came in the early 90's, and TONS of Germans came for Voeller and Matteus.