Juventus FC x Sporting CP - Champions League Group Stage

Discussion in 'Sporting CP' started by ---Z---, Oct 15, 2017.

1. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Didn't understand these subs. No Doumbia or Podence?

2. OndaVerde

OndaVerde Member+

Sporting
    Portugal
    Feb 18, 2016
    Eu vou lá estar
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Game changed after the subs, we went from smelling blood to laying back

vilafria repped this.
  3. OndaVerde

OndaVerde Member+

Sporting
    Portugal
    Feb 18, 2016
    Eu vou lá estar
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    What a ********ing pain in the dick, we had a good result in hand with 2/3 at home remaining. Europa will likely have to be our target if this result stands

4. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    2-1 Juve.

Coentrao subbed off for Jonathan, Coentrao looked pissed off as he was subbed off. And 2 minutes later Jonathan forgets how to defend and Juve score.

JJ gonna get roasted. This one is his fault.

vilafria repped this.
  5. OndaVerde

OndaVerde Member+

Sporting
    Portugal
    Feb 18, 2016
    Eu vou lá estar
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Palhinha is a mess, terrible fouls

6. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Oh now Doumbia comes in with 2 minutes left.

7. OndaVerde

OndaVerde Member+

Sporting
    Portugal
    Feb 18, 2016
    Eu vou lá estar
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    He played for the tie when we didn’t need to. It’s totally on him. Gelson wasn’t great, but he wasn’t horrible either. He was still making a difference offensively. We would’ve tied if we just continued on, worst case. Best case is we score and win. Didn’t get the moves at all

8. OndaVerde

OndaVerde Member+

Sporting
    Portugal
    Feb 18, 2016
    Eu vou lá estar
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    How does Doumbia not get a foot on that

9. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    2-1 final. Thanks JJ another moral victory.

Subbing Doumbia on that late is insulting to the player. And the Coentrao sub cost us the game.

vilafria repped this.
  10. OndaVerde

OndaVerde Member+

Sporting
    Portugal
    Feb 18, 2016
    Eu vou lá estar
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Don’t even think we can chaulk this one as a moral victory. JJ cagou a cama, simple.

vilafria repped this.
  11. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    No one shooting from outside the box is a real deficit for the team. Maybe they had orders from JJ not to do it. A real shame losing this opportunity to get points.

12. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    On the other hand, can't believe how biased the refereeing was. A clear handball in the Italian box not seen ????

13. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Coates fouled before

14. OndaVerde

OndaVerde Member+

Sporting
    Portugal
    Feb 18, 2016
    Eu vou lá estar
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Missed a portion of the game, so missed the potential PK and disallowed goal. Will have to check the highlights.

I was excited to have Jonathan here to backup Coentrão but this kid has been Zeegelaar-esque. I’d like to see a statistic to see how many goals we’ve let in from his side of the field

15. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Seriously, I think he's doing it on purpose to get sent back to Argentina.

OndaVerde repped this.
  16. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Our strategy with Dost up from isn't working this year. He seems barely involved and Gelson just launches bad crosses at him. I think Dost needs the bench for a few weeks. Let Doumbia take over as the starter in the league.

SCP_16 repped this.
  17. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    All of them :ROFLMAO:

Seriously though, I'm pretty sure almost all the goals we allowed in the league were when Jonathan played for the injured Coentrao.

18. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    3 of the 5 goals we've allowed in champions league were directly because of him

19. OndaVerde

OndaVerde Member+

Sporting
    Portugal
    Feb 18, 2016
    Eu vou lá estar
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon

All of them. lol. It would seem that way. I’m pretty sure Coentrão has only been on the field for 2 goals. One against Moreirense in the league and the own goal against Barcelona in champions league.

20. OndaVerde

OndaVerde Member+

Sporting
    Portugal
    Feb 18, 2016
    Eu vou lá estar
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    One goal against Feirense he’s caught in between men which causes Mathieu to have to come out of position. So that’s another one started from his side.

That would account for 4 of 9 goals across the two major competitions. 3 of those goals came with Coentrão on the field (Coates OG, Pjanic FK and Moreirense deflection), and 1 came with Bruno Cesar on the field (against Estoril). So that’s 4 out of 5 that he’s been on the field for. The 1 goal that didn’t come directly as a result of him was a corner kick. So 4 out of 4 live ball goals lmao

21. AlexJones19

AlexJones19 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Fuming. Ive been a strong supporter of JJ and have been of the belief that he will come good. But tonight was genuinely gutting. We played so well and the joy I felt when we went 1-0 up was completely justified by the way we were playing, but bringing Jonathan on was madness and Doumbia should have been on much earlier

Gutted about the result tonight, that was such a great opportunity for us to progress in Europe. At least we’ll make th europa league I suppose

22. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Coentrao wasnt injured when he was subbed off?

23. OndaVerde

OndaVerde Member+

Sporting
    Portugal
    Feb 18, 2016
    Eu vou lá estar
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    No, he hustled to try and save the ball from going out for a goal kick and tumbled into the placards along the endline. Then he milked it a bit to get his breath back. JJ was trigger happy with Jonathan while Coentrao was down. He could've and should've finished this game. But I guess it's kind of the boy who cried wolf thing going on lol

24. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    No wonder Coentrao looked infuriated when he came off, and that sub directly impacted the match.

25. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
    I missed the end of the game but as the 2nd half progressed I had a feeling this would happen. Another "moral victory" like that great game against Real Madrid last year.
    The fact of the matter is that when Juve did get past our MF they were always very threatening - so a goal was likely. What hurt us was that for all our ball possession and all the steals in their MF our creative players could not build chances. Bost's strength is in the air but Juve covered him effectively and the crosses weren't good enough. I think given our dominance in the 2nd half we should have swapped Bost for the faster Doumbia to better explore the counters and to stretch their back line more. Bost was too static a target specially given our poor crosses.
    Juve gave Gelson space but marked Bruno very tightly. Bruno had little time/space on the ball and could not get free to unleash his long range bombs.
    The sub of Coentrao was weird. I assumed he was injured but JJ said after the match that "he knew Coentrao must be tired" (you saw Coentrao's reaction) and that "Acuna wasn't helping much". Coentrao was playing well - JJ goofed.