PBP: Juventus FC v FC Barcelona v | UEFA CL - Group Stage MD2 | 28 October 2020

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by BocaFan, Oct 28, 2020.

1. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Anyone know why Araujo was subbed at halftime? Tactics or injury? Didn't think he was bad.

2. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    That was just stupid from Fati...

Gilmango and ShortyMac repped this.
  3. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Messi's last goal from open play was 2-0 vs Napoli on 8/8. Last three goals have been penalties.

4. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    A brilliant performance from Barca, and Koeman got everything right as well.

5. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Could've smoked Juve but hopefully lessons are learned from this on what not to do when you are in a prime position to score.

ShortyMac repped this.
  6. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Shit game . Ironically , we got an away win In Italy . Go figure .

I am guessing Koeman will keep tweaking until he finds something that works .

Gilmango repped this.
  7. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't call it brilliant. Lucky as hell. Huge deflection, VAR and offside calls, PK. Poor in the final third.

8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Definitely sucked in terms of finishing but worth noting that we didn't allow a single shot on target or even a good chance for Juve unless I'm forgetting one(?) and that's with FdJ and Araujo playing CB.

9. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'm going with brilliant, I've been in a good mood since yesterday and no one is going to spoil that. :p

evil_allan repped this.
  10. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hoping it was just to see how FdJ could fit in at CB as he is the 4th CB till Umtiti gets healthy (or we bring up someone from Barca B). Bit distressing that we let Cuenca and Todibo both go away for just salary relief and not much else, with Umtiti so frequently injured, leaving us with two starters, one of whom is old, and Araujo, at CB. Fortunately Araujo is good.

FdJ played some CB for Ajax, due to injuries I think, but hasn't played there for Barca. So it's valuable to see how he can slot in as he may well be needed there.

11. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    Pedri was great...our finishing has been off, especially Messi’s.

12. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    What a game from Pedri. Like I’ve been saying for a while now, we seem to have another 17-year-old gem on our hands. Cuadrado will have nightmares about Pedri tonight.

I’m glad with what I’m seeing from Araujo because our CB situation was a big point of concern for me going into this season. Hope his sub was just a precautionary measure.

As for Griezmann, well, what else needs to be said? The guy is a complete shade of the player he was at AM. Can’t figure out what the hell is wrong with him. We need to cash in on him while he’s still worth something imo.

ShortyMac repped this.
  13. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Maybe he needs to have a strong, aggressive minded manager on his back plus teammates who are super determined to push him ?

He seems to treat these games like a pro -celebrity game - not really serious

14. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    This game proved that Pedri must play! It was wrong not to start Fati despite that stupid thing he did at the end that I don't even wanna describe. Kid is a gem. Griezmann at this point should be benched for Coutinho in at last some matches. If you keep playing a struggling a player, he has no motivation to improve. He's gotta know that he's not guaranteed a starting spot or a spot at all for that matter if he doesn't perform. Messi was fantastic... he missed that big chance which is not characteristic of him but the chances he creates. He's still the best in the world and I'm glad we have him.

15. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Griezmann's confidence is shot.

Jpows repped this.
  16. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    We won't be able to start these players every game. Some rotation will be inevitable. By now Koeman probably realizes Fati needs to start. But we can't run him into the ground.

17. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    17 year olds don't need to be rotated. They need experience playing and they can handle all the minutes. If anything even Messi should be rested for a few games here and there. But not Fati and Pedri.

18. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    The good news is that the schedule won't have Madrid-followed-by-Juventus every week.
    Plenty of opportunities for rotation.

ShortyMac repped this.
  19. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    #69 JoCryuff98, Oct 29, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    Juventus played some boring ass football. Whereas we played our best football after a long time.

20. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    the teenagers (Fati, Pedri and Dest) don't need to be rotated physically, but they do need to be managed carefully and patiently. it's a fine balance. they need lots of minutes, but you also can't put too much pressure on them too early. Bojan is an obvious example. you can also look at Iniesta, who was a bench player for about six years before becoming a regular starter. koeman knows this, so don't be surprised to see the three of them coming in and out of the team for now.

21. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as I'm excited to beat Juve in Turin they were missing several starters, they scored 3x from open play (all aided by offsides but still), our finishing was crap, players still try to over pass in the box, or over defer to trying to get it to Messi at all costs.

The thing I liked most was the work rate we often exhibited when we turned the ball over on offense, where we harassed them in packs and won the ball back, or forced a bad pass, in their half. Other good takeaways involve players looking good (like Pedri), or getting some confidence back (like Dembele), showing valuable versatility (like FdJ at CB, albeit that only came after Araujo experienced discomfort in his right thigh) but over all not our best game but some promise for the future. And path to winning the Group is promising after just 2 games.

celito repped this.
  22. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    Don't put pressure on Fati but start him every LL and CL match IMO. He needs matches under his belt.