Juve v. America -- 20K attendance

Discussion in 'New York City FC' started by Metrogo, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    What does that say for the NYC market for soccer. Good? Bad? doesn't say much? I'd like to read people's thoughts on that.

2. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't say much. And it doesn't help answer the question for potential investors (I'm thinking Wilpons) if there would be support for a middle of the table NYC team in MLS. I say middle of the table not as an insult, but because over time there will be good years, off years and mediocre years.

3. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    with all the games being played, especially the one today...it was a good attendance in my opinion. I expected it to me around 20,000 and I don't think it was marketed very aggressively. I knew C America fans who didn't know they were playing.

4. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    21k spectators in a rainy day isn't bad.

5. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    It wasn't a "rainy day" it rained for 20 mins

6. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    So far, I think I agree with red card. I don't think it's a bad sign,but hardly one that will make people want to part with their (investment) money either.

7. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The marketing and build up for this game was so much less than the last game - i think thats why attendance was lower here.

8. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I've noticed through the years that Italian teams just don't seem to draw people to the game as much as say English, Spanish or even some Latin American teams do. It has always kind of surprised me with such a big Italian community in the NYC area.

9. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    And yet, somehow, the metrostars/RB front office has always been in love with the Italian-American community.

10. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This will get me in trouble lol but as an Italian American who grew up in a pretty large italian area - most of the people in my area were Italian American and only came out of the woodwork once every 4 years. They would honk horns, cheer their italian heritage for the Azurri and when it came down to talk about the club game, they were not as interested.

Yes, there are your die-hard fans, and I am sure they were there, but Im just sharing my experience.

For the record - rooting for the US in that area, I heard a lot of shit talk by people, which is why I can not root for Azurri.

11. LyotoM

LyotoM Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    the older ones probably still follow the big clubs tho...

12. redmetrobullstars

Nov 13, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. You wont get in trouble. Screw the azzuri I'm "Italian" (for the record, when asked, I will neve say Italian, my response is "I'm American") and I gate the azzuri. I was born here, my grandparents immigrated here, yes I still speak italian, but I still ahte them.

Remember in 2006 when Italy won the WC, my cousin calls me and says "can you believe it!! We won!" only for my response to be, "what do you mean?" USA got knocked out in the group stages." like the "Italians" you mentioned, my cousins have no clue about club football, and they're all Yankee fans, because apparently that's the "Italian" thing to do...is support the yankees.

13. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL - yea it is - probably because of Dimagio or something.

In my area- when they won, all these teenagers took to the street, we won, we won, they never have stepped foot in Italy.

I always rooted for the US, and i always had my stuff on, and they would tell me "USA SUCKS - GO ITALY" im like you, my grandparents came here and im damn proud of my heritage, but my grandfather came to America for a reason and made sure we all loved our country.

Even with the pride I have for my italian background, the kids in that area of Queens I grew up in, made me despise the national team. Even the year when Juve and Milan played in the CL final. those same streets where all that Italian pride was expressed, were empty.

Im US first, but like when the Euro is on, I go with my Polish Roots.

14. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are totally off topic - does this mean anything to MLS

I dont - I think all potential investors know enough about the league to know the challenges they face.

15. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    My ex Italian in laws from boston -- boston for chrissake -- used to always say "oh, we loved the yankee clippah!"

Then again, no old Jew I've ever known wasn't big Hank Greenberg fans.

16. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Over the last two weeks it was marketed very agressively, at least thru Spanish media.

17. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Country over club.

The noise of the crowd gave me the impression that Juve were stronger screaming force, but only by a little bit. The chants of "aguilas" were pretty loud as well.

18. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Things that I took away from this game:

1. Soccer is easy at CitiField - the location is great and its easy as hell to get out of there QUICK!
    2. Views are very good and close to the action considering it's a baseball stadium
    3. Fans were allowed to be fans and the staff was very pleasant and accomodating.
    4. Grass is very easily transferred onto the diamond and only covers a small portion of the field.
    5. This has win win all over it.

Remember this is a baseball stadium with all its faults, this is an ideal spot for a game.

Now if you wanted increased attendance, forget about Club America and bring in Puebla. Now that would have had the stadium jam packed.

19. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chris I get country over club - but this is more of a case of - huge soccer fan for world cup only, and then for the next 3 years not give a rats ass about it.

Not even that, 3 months after the 2006 World Cup, France and Italy played in a Euro qualifier - no one was out in that area.

Its more than just country over club - they probably dont even know what that means lol

As for Citi field - if the Mets can find a way to make it work - so be it

20. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Nick I know, I was just messing around. I know exactly the type of people you are talking about. It's not about the sport at all but more about "i'm better than you"

Hell no, they don't even have a clue. And they only know about the WC because its just so immensely popular.

I really hope so, because CitiField is so comfortable. It's a nice play to watch even baseball. lol lol

21. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    About what I predicted for the first game, though Greek & Ecuadorian nationalism proved me wrong. I'm not surprised at all that Club America and Juventus (both teams have become annual summer visitors) got this number. Midweek games usually don't do well. And Juve come every year. The Club America aspect might have pushed it over, but I don't expect it. And honestly, we shouldn't expect it for the Cosmos.

22. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Considering that it was going to rain and it was midweek, the turnout is more than respectable.

23. CapPixel

CapPixel Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Vicenza
    Club:
    Vicenza Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Azzurri, two z's. ;)
    CapPixel, keeping italian heritages alive. ;)

24. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

LOL - again then - I am very proud of my Italian roots - just cant root for the AZZurri :)

Look at my Italian Club for goodness sake

25. CapPixel

CapPixel Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Vicenza
    Club:
    Vicenza Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    ;) I was just joking.
    You live and (I suppose) were born in the USA, there's no big reasons at all you should root for the Italian NT, maybe only sympathize.