Justin Mapp: more useful to the nats as a left or right mid?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by OWN(yewu)ED, May 13, 2007.

1. stevethiel

stevethiel New Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Michigan
    Statistics aren't everything. He has been a very dangerous player and IMO has been one of the best offensive players in MLS. His teammates, other than rolfe, have been pretty craptastic causing his so-called "slump".

2. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you've actually seen Justin Mapp play this year with Chicago, you'd know that it's not his fault that his statistics aren't better. Mapp has been one of the most dangerous offensive players in the league, but his teammates have been doing him no favors in the attacking third.

The one thing Mapp could stand to improve on his MLS form thus far is to lift his head up and crack some shots more often from outside the box. He needs to not be afraid to shoot.

3. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Am might be the place for him. I dont think he has the defensive mind to play on the wing at the international level

4. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Justin Mapp was in the lineup, what should the midfield/attack look like?
    This is what I think.

--------(Twellman*)-------Donovan-----
    --Convey---Bradley---Feilhaber---Mapp--

----------OR----------

------------(Twellman*)------------
    --------------Donovan--------------
    --Convey--------------------Mapp--
    ----------Clark----Mastroeni---------

This is assuming Bobby is fit. Otherwise Beasley
    *The second/target forward spot goes to the most on form striker. Right now, my vote is Twellman.

5. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Mapp is better on the right then a natural right foot Dempsey

6. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the last few friendlies, Mapp played better than Deuce did. Don't get me wrong, I like Deuce, but I think, right now, Mapp is playing better. Now, if Dempsey can get more time and better results with Fulham, it's him by a long-shot.

That and I'd take Convey over Dempsey, so I slotted him in on the right. If Convey is hurt, than I'd actually reconsider my previous post and put Mapp on the left with Dempsey on the right.

7. kronz21

kronz21 Member

Mar 17, 2006
    cleveland
    ist mapp both footed? or am i mistaken? plus since mapp is so good with the ball he can cut inside and use his dribbling ability alitte more, of course if he's both footed he can do that from the left side as well.

8. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think he has a place on the USMNT. Not good enough.

9. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well he is predominantly left-footed. He's crossing is not up to par with his right foot, but you're correct in saying his dribbling/cutting makes him dangerous to play on the right. I still think he can learn to cross with his right if he really sets off to practice it.