Julie Foudy May Run For President

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Thomas Flannigan, Oct 9, 2003.

1. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Anthony here is a source

Anthony here is a source. The article says, "Neither was Foudy's comment that the women's players didn't want MLS "riding on our coattails." (Newsday, October 12th, Johnette Howard,
    http://www.newsday.com/sports/socce...,1101688,print.story?coll=ny-soccer-headlines )

Pretty damning article on the management of WUSA. Foudy definitely has some responsibility in this mess.

2. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least we'd have a HOT president!

3. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Julie Foudy HOT? (BARF ALERT)

Are you serious? Maybe compared to Hillary Clinton, but she is definitely not hot. Yuck.

4. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    The man speaks the truth!!!

5. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Re: Julie Foudy HOT? (BARF ALERT)

Classic. Material for a shrink's career-making case study in these two lines.

6. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Anthony here is a source

OK, but the source only repeats what was claimed here. There never has been someone who says "On X Date, I was there when Julie Foudy said."

7. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Re: Re: Anthony here is a source

She seems pretty credible to me: http://www.newsday.com/sports/colum...0,6348252.columnist?coll=ny-sports-columnists

Johnette Howard
    SPORTS COLUMNIST

Johnette Howard has been a general sports columnist at Newsday since 1999. Her 2000 work was nominated for the Pulitzer Prize in commentary. Previously she worked as a Senior Writer at Sports Illustrated and as a weekly columnist and feature writer for the Washington Post. Her work has been collected in five anthologies, including Best American Sports Writing of the 20th Century.

8. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Anthony here is a source

I did not say she was not credible. I said my proble, is that no one who was there when the quote was made has ever said "Julie Foudy said". The original quote was that an "unnamed member of the team said."

It is only people writing from that source that claim it was Foudy, sometimes because it simply sounded like something she would say.

Now, there is a 1 in 20 chance she said it. Prehaps even better, as Foudy is outspoken and often seems to speak before she thinks. But no one has ever reported the comment in the first person.

9. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Anthony here is a source

Point taken. Has anyone ever asked Foudy if she said this. I am sure she would deny it but it would be interesting because she usually speaks her mind which I believe has caused so much backlash.

10. Elroy

Elroy New Member

Jul 26, 2001
    It's the economy, stupid!

The Newsday article summed it up for me. This (the WUSA) was about sports, not Jean D'Arc. For true believers to be successful, they must sometimes defer to a hard headed business person.

I hope that some form of WUSA will be available this spring. One that will recognize that it's first job is to provide entertainment and survive.

As to Ms. Foudy, I wish her every success. I only hope that she doesn't go back to med school, b/c then she could really cut someone's balls off.

11. defensewins

defensewins Member

Nov 15, 1999
    I suspect this is either a quote of urban legend, hearsay, or a botched interepretation of this:

"Unlike the WNBA, which has succeeded on the coattails of the NBA, there is no men's league backing the WUSA.

"We want to do this on our own," Foudy said. "With that is great risk, but also great opportunities. Hopefully, when we pull this off, it will give other sports and other investors the courage to make this step and keep going."

http://www.thesunlink.com/sports/2001/april/0411101589.html
    Note, this is about wusa riding the coattails of the MLS, not the other way around....Until I see a quote from Foudy from an interview, I think it is so much bs..............if she said it, let's have the source.

I will say, otherwise the author did an excellent job concerning why the league failed. Great article.

12. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Are the dittoheads and conservanazis so afraid of their tenuous hold on the levers of money, power, and influence that they would want to fling verbal mud on a soccer player ... a SOCCER PLAYER???? ... to further their aims?

13. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You may have found the missing link.

14. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Dittoheads and conservanazis (Huh?)

A SOCCER PLAYER???? That is why we are having this debate because a SOCCER PLAYER who had a hand in blowing $100 million in 3 years with nothing to show for it wants to run for U.S. Congress.

She is not qualified.

15. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Where in either of the two articles does Foudy say that she wants to run for office?

The closest I found was from the first article:
    http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/6970905.htm

Sounds like someone looking for a job as a lobbyist more than anything.

As for qualifications, just remember this:

[​IMG]

16. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, you really lose credibility if this is how you start your arguement.

17. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    How about a failed baseball owner (trading Sammy Sosa, no less) who gets an entire country into a war?

OK, mods. Time to move this thing to the politics forum.

18. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's see, a small businessman (he owned a rather sucessful restaurant) who got involved in politics because he was sick of government red tape when he tried to expand his business.

He ran for mayor, won, and did a reasonably good job so that he ran for Congress and won.

Sounds like good credentials to me.

19. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Oh, yeah. Being a recording artist which became the butt of a very interesting joke (see: Groundhog Day).

20. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Successful businessman and politician is in the real world.

Being the butt of a joke in a movie is fiction.

You were saying?

21. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Waking up every morning for the rest of your life to "I Got You Babe" is a nightmare. So is this president.

Foudy would clean house.

22. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    first I want to see Hilary Clinton in the Oval offices, she could be the vice president,
    any liberal will be fine with me.

23. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    That's actually my point, Anthony. Bono got into politics without the usual qualifications - I think I heard that, when he ran for Mayor of Palm Springs he had never even voted, yet by most counts did a good job, even though he was a walking punchline.

So, with Foudy, we have a graduate from one of the nation's top schools, whose job has taken her around the world and has served on committees and foundations for causes that she is passionate about. Why wouldn't she be qualified?

24. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Because she promptly bankrupt the business.

25. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And, Dave, I have no problem with Foudy running for office.