Julian Green (Bayern Munich): In-N-Out: Julian Green on loan at Hamburger SV

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by smithfan, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Guardiola a bubis man? shiiii, most American are a "bubis" man, most latinos are in to the "pompis" thang.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  3. Deeneaus

Deeneaus Member+

Aug 29, 2007
    America/Deutschland
    Club:
    Arminia Bielefeld
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Lmao!

Context of the article. It's from a "legendary" reporter named Raimund Hinko (quotes only because I don't know him) who gets some spiffy insider info and often publishes his musings in this article section. Seems to be well-established and knowledgeable, so I wouldn't take his comments with a grain of salt.

Translation of the article:

"During Bayern's first training session with Guardiola, I glanced a small, dark-skinned player who immediately caught my attention because I'd never seen him before. After the training session ended, I saw the player get into a bright red Audi after his shower.

That player was 18 year old Julian Green, from the U19 team, who was born in Tampa and has been a German since he was two. Julian has already played an international match with the U.S. U-18 team as a right winger and Jürgen Klinsmann made sure that Green received an invitation to train in California. Green wants to go because he hasn't heard anything from the DFB (German Soccer Fed) since he played at the U16 and U17 level.

At Bayern, Green is being cultivated and placed in a position to succeed. It's interesting that the person that discovered Green is Jan Pienta. He's already steered Thomas Müller, Bastian Schweinsteiger, Phillip Lahm, Andreas Ottl, just to name a few, towards Bayern. He's also had a hand in training Holger Badstuber, Mats Hummels, Zvjezdan Misimovic, and Thomas Hitzelsperger. That's anything but a bad omen.

Add Julian Green to that list as well. Green is represented by the sports agency "acta 7" and his agent is Roman Grill, the agent of Bayern's capitan Phillip Lahm, who knows a thing or two about how a career should go. Green will have to find his own way, but the path is gleaming.

Pep spoke with Bayern II's trainer Erik ten Hag, who took over from Mehmet Scholl. Pep will recommend that Green be moved from the U19 team to Bayern II. In Bayern's first match under Guardiola against Wildenau, Green came on in the second half and shined with three goals. I wouldn't be surprised if Guardiola didn't have the lighting quick player in mind later on."

I was a little unclear on the camp reference in Cali, as I don't follow that side too much lately. Or maybe it's a shoddy translation. Sorry, should that be the case!

INKRO, Zak1FCK, TheBrand and 1 other person repped this.
  4. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Julian Green seems to be a little guy, no more than a buck fifty. Anyone know exactly how tall he is?. He looks to be built like another young Beasley.

5. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same height as Beasley, 5'8 :)

6. NOLA

NOLA Member

Jan 10, 2009
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cap him now!!!

Seriously. Would it hurt anything to give him minutes against Jamaica?

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  7. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    professional players/coaches don't pressure each other about this stuff. It is unprofessional. Fans might.

8. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    they are giants compared to Messi.

9. KickballWizard

Jun 11, 2013
    What list?

10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
  12. Lothar

Lothar Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Tuscaloosa
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at the game in Weiden and was pleasantly surprised to see Green with the team. He is fast, quick, a good dribbler, aggressive, and tactically sound. He played on the left, scored three goals, and could have had another but headed it straight at the goalie. Wildenau held Bayern to 3 or 4 goals in the first half, but when Green, Weihrauch, Ribery, and Kroos came on, they sliced up Wildenau in merciless fashion. Pep is experimenting with a Ribery/Kroos central axis, and is said to want to trade Robben. If so, there might be space on the wings for Green at some point soon. If he does start getting minutes with the first team, I would not be surprised if he gets a call from Klinsi, who went with youth during the 2006 WC; I think Lahm and Schweinsteiger were only 20 or 21. Of course, Green would be younger than that--I believe he only turns 19 next June.

13. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    He sounds like Beasley but with better technique. Would you say that is a rough estimate?

14. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That would be my guess too although I only have game reports to based it.

15. Lothar

Lothar Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Tuscaloosa
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. He may be built a bit more solidly, and he also seems strong with both feet (don't know if he is a natural lefty or righty), but there are certainly similarities.

16. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Let's hope so!

Anyone remember back at the 2002 Word Cup when Jack and Ty kept mentioning how Beaz was the lightest player at the entire tournament?

17. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really going to get a shot with Bayern's first team? Way too soon for that. And if he does Germany will be calling.

18. jnavi1

jnavi1 Member

Sep 16, 2012
    We should stop considering whether he will get first team minutes on one of the top 5 best teams in the world and start considering whether he can even play first team soccer in any league. He is only a prospect.

19. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Green is likely to be with the U-23's for the majority of the year, if not the entire year... Green starting in the Regionalliga at barely 18 yrs old is a big step up in itself, especially after spending only one season with the U-19's at 17.

What we can take away from all of the preseason stuff is that Pep and Bayern clearly see Green as one of their better youth talents, so there's substance to the hype. If there wasn't or if Pep didn't think Green was the real deal none of this would be happening for him at his age, just a few months removed from playing with the U-19's.

I think we can see that Pep views Green as a future contributor. Now don't jump the gun, no one is saying Green is going to be regularly involved with the senior team or get more than a few token games with the senior team this year, if at all. But Pep very well could give Green a chance in select cup games and at the end of the season if Bayern clinch the title early. That's normal protocol for the top youth talents though, so the same holds true for the likes of Hojberg and Can.

But the fact that we even have a kid who is considered one of the top youth talents for one of, if not the best club in the world, that's something to talk about. Arguably we've never had someone this highly thought of before, with actual substance behind it. So excuse us for getting more than a little excited here.

20. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    is it a "fact that we even have" this kid?

did i miss something in this thread?

21. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is a fact at this moment, as he plays for the US youth teams. So yes, unless or until he switches I will refer to him as US player, why shouldn't I? Also given how much pull his father has I don't see that changing either.

22. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    If Green is in some way an improvement on Beasley, we are talking about a player who would be one of the best ever to wear the colors.

23. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Change that to a "could". Regardless, he's one to watch closely over the coming years. Best of luck to him- more than anything I hope he stays healthy.

24. bullit82

bullit82 Member

Forest Green Rovers
    United States
    Jan 24, 2011
    Arizona
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jakepc42, Testudo and sacpasse87 repped this.
  25. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Yeah, that really hurt his career.

Sandon Mibut repped this.