Julian Green at SpVgg Greuther Fürth

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Chance, Aug 20, 2015.

1. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Even prior to hearing this rumor, 6 straight games without a start -- most of them as an unused sub -- would have me wondering whether Green is on the way out.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  2. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    He simply can’t keep p in the Bliga. Physically or mentally. No shame in that despite the desperate delusions of some US Nat fans. He is a good to very good B2 player however. He signed an extension. Right? I just don’t see a ton of options for him other than B2 next year. If I am right about the contract, think I am, who is gonna pay for him?

ttrevett repped this.
  3. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, he seems to like being within a quick train ride to Munich.

freisland repped this.
  4. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honest question, have you ever gotten a sense from Julian that he sees a future in MLS and the States? Secondly, do you see an MLS side offering him anywhere near what he makes in Germany?

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Well, Kicker had him for a long time as one of the worst players in the second division. Before promotion, though, he was a bit above average.

Last season he had by far his best, scoring nine and assisting two, playing in 30 out of 34 league games So he can be an asset in the 2.BuLi and I expect him to remain there.

6. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Because Furth caught lightning in a bottle in getting promoted and if they do get back it'll be for another overmatched team's relegation battle. This is good as it gets for as long as he stays with Furth and, realistically, in Germany.

Joining MLS means moving from one country's D2 to another country's D1. If the levels of play are comparable the prestige generally increases. In this case, that would be multiplied by moving to a league that is unquestionably on the up internationally. Move to the "right" team and he could find himself in the playoff places, maybe even back in the MNT squad.

A similar motivation led Mario Gotze to join PSV, which is working very well for both parties.

7. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Generally you are almost always spot on. This makes sense on paper except for one thing. I have watched a lot of Green.
    He simply isn’t that good (high level good). Even in MLS, todays MLS, he will need a lot of variables to go his way to really succeed.
    It’s becoming slightly more acceptable, even in insane US board land, but give me a decent upside U20 player every day of the week over Green in MLS. I would love to have him on my team, but only if he is real cheap. Green is a fantasy player, and for way to many those die hard.
    The guy simply does not have the tools.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  8. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #4008 The Irish Rover, Jan 12, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
    I try. I try. :speechless::speechless:

As for money, Fafa Picault was not a success in BL2 but has done pretty well since crossing the Pond. He's now on $500k a year, which is about the average - maybe even the median - in BL2 and more than only 5-6 players at a far-from-wealthy team like Furth were paid in 2020-21. That group probably doesn't include Julian.

Salarysport had him on $365k last season (https://salarysport.com/football/bundesliga-2/spvgg-greuther-fürth/) which is too low IMO but I seriously doubt that even his recent extension gives him more than $550k as a baseline.

With his league record a really god agent could probably get him $600k in MLS and, at 26, he could expect an extension and a pay rise if he performs really well.

Ray Shoesmith repped this.
  9. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    It’s a good argument. Let’s just say if I am an MLS GM I look at a lot of other options for that kind of money. Jst my take but it’s from seeing a lot of his B2 play last year. Even there he couldn’t really force the issue. He wasn’t a difference maker in the vein I would want for 600K. He had OK stats but others pshed the game. That’s where I am leery. I would take a Fafa type in MLS because he can impact and push the game up front on his day. If I signGreeen it’s because I have a couple of other high quality MLS mids, and an attack that can stretch the game. Then Julian has a chance to be a very good player in the league, but without those he will be an average MLS player. It’s a tough call for me. Again, as I said above, their are a lot of variable involved if I were looking to sign Julian in MLS. If he came he needs to be viewed as a very competent support player. Anything other than that and folks are gonna be disappointed IMO.
    Here’s hoping MLS gets 300-400 million in broadcasting rights. If a few million get pt into the cap a Julian signing for 500-600K becomes less risky IMO.

superdave and The Irish Rover repped this.
  10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    From the interviews I gather Julian is very close to his mom and she's not moving out of her house, so I expect him to remain in Germany, in a team close enough to where she lives that he can see her often.

11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    matabala repped this.
  12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the bench:

13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman and mace repped this.
  14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the bench:

15. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the bench:

16. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Subbed on in the 83rd to preserve a big 2-1 win over Hertha. Although technically it was more of a big loss for Hertha. Fürth are still screwed.

The Irish Rover and freisland repped this.
  17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    So far Green is kept to garbage minutes they have a shot.

It's not that Green is terrible (which he is), but that without him they keep three covering the defense, which they need to do since their CBs are slow.

18. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Man, if GF can somehow climb into playoff game 3rd from bottom- and win- it will be one of the most miraculous ‘Great Escapes’ in any league in history.

They were soooo deep in the hole earlier this season.

What seemed impossible 2 months ago is ‘only’ a 10 point gap now.

ShortyMac repped this.
  19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the bench:

20. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

21. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I thought he noticeabely raised the level of their game.

22. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #4022 The Irish Rover, Feb 21, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
    "Beware the Ides of March!"

The points gap is obviously very Important, but I would caution against paying excessive attention to the today's points gap. In Top 5 D1s there's often a team that's thoroughly mediocre but has been steadily ensconced in mid-table all season come February, and then "does a Bremen" and loses 10 of their last 12 games.

Very unlikely, but it could happen

23. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the bench:

Down 1-0 at the half.

24. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Green subbed on in the 82nd minute for Timothy Tillman. They were trailing 2-1.

They had trouble generating chances. Green had one sweet line-breaking pass that split two midfielder and two defenders, only for his striker teammate to whiff on his first touch.

mace and freisland repped this.
  25. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4025 BostonRed, Mar 13, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2022
    Winoman repped this.