Juan Pablo Ocegueda at Alebrijes de Oaxaca

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Werdman89, Dec 27, 2009.

1. stonejh127

stonejh127 Member+

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

That was my thinking. He probably is doing what is best for him, which a player should always do. He probably has a good chance to break in at Chivas vs at Tigres and Chivas have a pretty good track record of giving kids a chance. You make money at club level, not international. Hopefully if everything works out and he comes back to the US set up when he leaves Chivas for greener pastures.

3. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Umm, he's 20 and we're still converting LM' to LB's. He's at the front end of the learning curve with little to no competition.

mike4066 repped this.
  4. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He hasn't accepted a Mexican call-up or filed his one time switch. USA don't pay the bills and Chivas is giving him a chance. Gotta do what he's gotta do, unless you're willing to pay his way while he looks for a club that suits you.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  5. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously, just leave the guy alone already. What Chivas offered is probably the best for him and his family and he knows he is not gonna be getting called up by Klinsmann anytime soon.

6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    The only reason that he is even talked about at all is because he somehow found his way onto the U-20 WC team.

He was awful at the U-20 WC, and showed that he can't mark wingers with speed.

He is young, but he is a LB that runs like a 6'5 CB who has had a few knee operations. His speed is not going to improve.

7. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^I bet that you're wrong

mike4066 repped this.
  8. Martino2Buddle

Crystal Palace
    United States
    Dec 12, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that you Tab? JP was clearly out of his depth and it wasn't a coincidence when our opponents consistently went down our left flank at U20 WC. He won't even sniff our Futsal team.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  9. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, yes, he didn't play his way onto the team. He didn't earn the right to represent The U.S. He just happened to be hanging out at the field the day Tab decided to throw together a U20 WC team. I get it.

Too many, too often write off players who wind up contributing plenty to the program.

10. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll see....

11. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Juan Pablo@JuanOcegueda
    21h
    You got to do whats best for yourself at the moment and go from there...can't please everyone

Juan Pablo@JuanOcegueda
    17h

Opportunities are slim, n mayb the best one is the worst one at the same time.thanks for the support and if you don't support me god bless u

12. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Just so we're clear, I have no qualms with this decision.

Let us never forget that this is a job for the players and they do it to make money and they have a limited window to make as much money as possible playing.

This is a good business decision for him and if I were in his place I'd likely do the same thing.

13. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well this is awkward...I wasn't calling anyone out or anything, I haven't even read through the thread, I saw this announcement on twitter, I literally just was curious if he said anything about it on twitter, he did, so I posted it here for everyone haha.

14. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel the same way, I have no issue with what he's doing here. I'm sure some people will view my comments about him not being good enough for international ball as sour grapes but it's my honest assessment. I said it long before this Chivas news came about. I really wish the kid all the best, just don't view this as a big loss for our program short term or long term.

15. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ocegueda made his debut for the Chivas U-20s yesterday going the distance in a 4-0 loss to Chiapas F.C.

16. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ocegueda got into a Copa MX match for Tigres in March, which marked his pro debut. That's a nice milestone for Juan, but he's going to have to figure out what comes next. Unless I'm mistaken, he won't be eligible for the U-20 league next season, so it's first team or bust.

18. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Ocegueda has joined Alebrijes de Oaxaca, possibly on loan, based on his Twitter account and various Spanish-language sources.

19. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Definitely on loan.

20. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Quite the alebrije

22. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a huge display of alebrijes on a boulevard in the Roma neighborhood of Mexico City when I was visiting there last November. Pretty cool stuff.

23. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I first learned about them on a trip to Sayulita on the west coast of Mexico. Took a trip to Puerta Vallarta where they were in all the touristy art shops. After that, I started seeing them everywhere. Same with Huichol art. Some really interesting back story to both and it all just really spoke to me.....I guess is the way to put it.

Winoman repped this.
  24. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010
  25. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States