Juan Carlos Toja [R]

Discussion in 'Colombians Abroad' started by ryu79, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hutchtx

hutchtx Member

Jul 21, 2007
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    dont think that pinto cares.... he picks who he wants cause he wants to

we have a bunch of good players in europe that he just doesnt care to bring.... i hope he does well against Boliva and BRasil next week but if he doesnt I hope he is fired and we bring in Rueda or Lara so that we have a real shot to qualify

I would like Toja to come to some friendlies to see him as an option dont really think he is starter material yet but he is def a better option at DM than Amaya

3. chazsoccer

chazsoccer Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Republic of Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the all-star montage of Juan Toja's play from the first half of the season...notice the way he runs, the patented Toja slide, spin, steal the ball move, the way he celebrates a goal...

[youtube]6aMVuL8epFc[/youtube]

Now watch this promotional video for Toja Wig nite - other players on the team put on the 'pelo de Toja' and pretend to play like he does.

[youtube]jhS4ulfL7uU[/youtube]

4. MrPaisa

MrPaisa New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Madison, NY
    I think Toja would be great on our national team and I think the guy has balls. We need that on our team.

Hey, remember Toja played with Wason, Roda and Falcao....he's not alien to our team.

5. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

You make two great points.

I have two more:

Ringo Amaya sucks:mad:

He's 6'2 and 170 lbs vs... 5'3" and 125 of Ringo.... :p

6. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    you have to know the circumstances that took him on a trial/free basis to river

agent at the time: His Father

other subject, about last post from dapip: did you hear yesterday the comments from hugo sanchez about size and weight for future mexie nats? terrific for discussion (ala chitiva)

7. hutchtx

hutchtx Member

Jul 21, 2007
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have me curious . . . even if his agent was his father, didn't someone have to agree to it? Does/did his father have that much influence? I know nothing about how "futbol" and team dynamics work in South America.

Just curious, because from what little I've heard/read about his history -- success in the U20's, played in the U20 World Cup, loaned to River Plate, played just a few games, got red carded and then was benched for a year, and then finds success in the US. . . it sounds like a (bad) movie plot. :)

8. chazsoccer

chazsoccer Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Republic of Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, curious about what Toja thought of the whole thing?

What did it look like in the stadium?

Here is a video of "Noche con pelo de Toja"

[youtube]MlcT6_6KvCo&eurl=[/youtube]

9. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    his english isnt abd but ever since his injury he hasnt really played too well or maybe its cause they moved him for denielson

10. chazsoccer

chazsoccer Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Republic of Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed that his play is down from the previous level of play. Part of the problem is his imjury, but most of it is the change in the team's shape due to multiple injuries - especially Pablo Ricchetti.

11. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    ojL river le diera la oportunidad de repatriarlo

12. hutchtx

hutchtx Member

Jul 21, 2007
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. chazsoccer

chazsoccer Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Republic of Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Juan Toja has been awarded the Team's "Fan Favorite" based on votes from FCD fans. He won with 53% of the votes.

:)

Link to article

14. hanzellmo

hanzellmo Member

Feb 25, 2007
    Bogota
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    lo lei como "hoy le dieron la oportunidad de repatriarlo" casi me da un paro :(

15. chazsoccer

chazsoccer Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Republic of Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other awards were announced today:

Midfielder (all midfielder, including Defensive mids, eligible):
    Juan Toja – 70 percent
    Arturo Alvarez – 14 percent
    Dax McCarty – 9 percent
    Pablo Ricchetti – 6 percent

Defender (includes goalkeepers):
    Clarence Goodson – 56 percent
    Drew Moor – 20 percent
    Ray Burse – 6 percent

The following players received the remaining percentage of votes: Aaron Pitchkolan, Michael Dello-Russo, Dario Sala, Chris Gbandi, David Wagenfuhr, Bobby Rhine, Adrian Serioux, and Alex Yi.

Newcomer of the Year (all players new to FCD in 2007):
    Juan Toja – 79 percent
    Pablo Ricchetti – 11 percent

Which means Juan won 3 of the 5 awards ( but he is not a midfielder or a defender - so, it is no surprise he did not win those two)

Here are all 51 goals scored by FCD this year:

:cool:

[youtube]FOJT63fyHME[/youtube]

16. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    isnt he a DM?

any way i think richetti got the screw job because he is the heart of that midfield since he been hurt and toja went to DM the team as a whole has gone real downhill

hope they are both fit and it goes back to the prehurt toja no denielson team

17. hutchtx

hutchtx Member

Jul 21, 2007
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I won't disagree with you. Toja and Ricchetti work best as a team. :) Oh, and I do not think that Denilson will be starting. Morrow has publically stated that he is happy with the midfield combo (Ricchetti, Serioux, Toja, Alvarez) that started in the last game.

P.S. The Blog has one more award yet to announce (granted, these are just FAN awards) -- team MVP. I wonder who that will be? :)

18. chazsoccer

chazsoccer Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Republic of Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :eek: I meant to say Toja is not a forward or a defender. You are correct he is a midfielder - for FCD he usually plays AM. I am very glad Ricchetti is back. I voted for Ricchetti as Midfielder favorite. And Toja as best Newcomer.

19. chazsoccer

chazsoccer Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Republic of Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What do you mean he had an opportunity to "repatriarlo" ? You mean he has an opportunity to play for River again? Or were you just joking?

20. hutchtx

hutchtx Member

Jul 21, 2007
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Edit: I reread it, Chaz. . . the poster was saying that he/she misread it the quote . . . instead of "Ojala le dieran la oportunidad" ("if only they would give him the oportunity . . "). they read it as "le dieron . . ." ("they gave him the oportunity . . .") .

21. hutchtx

hutchtx Member

Jul 21, 2007
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And finally, from the Blog:

http://worldcupway.blogspot.com/2007/10/oct-26-fans-vote-mvp-goal-of-year.html

Juan Toja received 70% of the votes to be voted as the fans' team MVP.

Having had the GREAT pleasure to watch him in person this season, I am thankful that he chose to risk "killing his career" by coming to the MLS and FC Dallas. I know you all who know him from Colombia/Santa Fe, etc. have your own impressions/judgements/opinions of his ability and how well or poorly he compares to the players who have been chosen to play for the National Team. So maybe comparing his level of play with the level of play in the MLS is or is not a good thing. However, he just AMAZES me with his drive, passion, and sincerity (none of that diving or theatrics, and he seems genuinely concerned when earning a caution -- of which, btw the way, he earned only 4 this season, even though he led the league with 83 fouls). :)

22. CtrlAlltDel

CtrlAlltDel New Member

Mar 12, 2007
    I was going through some very old backup files, and found that for some reason I had this:

Toja vs. Canada youth NT

[​IMG]

:-|

23. hutchtx

hutchtx Member

Jul 21, 2007
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How cool!!!

Thanks for posting that! :)

24. CtrlAlltDel

CtrlAlltDel New Member

Mar 12, 2007
    you're welcome eh

25. hutchtx

hutchtx Member

Jul 21, 2007
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Team awards were given out on Saturday before the playoff game against Houston. And I doubt that anyone was surprised that Toja was chosen (by the local media) as this year's team MVP.

What a fun season it has been -- getting to know what talented players Colombia and other South American countries have. I have definitely become an "aficionada de futbol latino." :)

P.S. And maybe next year, barring injuries, he can challenge for the league MVP!

[​IMG]