Juan Agudelo in "search" of a Club

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by jond, Jul 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    The good news is that in just 11 games he has 5 goals and an assist.

The bad news is he's played just 11 games. He missed a month of time earlier in the season, during which he was traded, that cost him 6 games and he hasn't played since the end of June, a stretch that's cost him 6 more, and counting.

As others have said, he's looked good and played well when he's played this year. But, sadly, he's missed more games than he's played.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  2. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agudelo should take a hint from his elder statesman and chase the money.

3. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

Aberdeen?!?!?!?!? Screens never refused pixels. He'd be better off at Dagenham if he went to and SPL bottom-feeder. Pure bullshit.

4. sakibomb523

sakibomb523 Member+

Oct 13, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    still remember when Aberdeen fans thought Stuart Holden would be a bench player for their side.

5. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meanwhile, Stoke remain in talks to sign 20-year-old New England Revolution striker Juan Agudelo.
    Stoke chief executive Tony Scholes returned to England yesterday after negotiations in Philadelphia and Kansas involving both the player and officials from the MLS, which has a say on the transfer of players from its member clubs.
    Stoke's hierarchy remain hopeful of concluding a deal for the American international despite rival interest from at least one other Premier League club.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  6. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Juan just tweeted that 'big news' is coming up in an hour (now half an hour).

7. stonejh127

stonejh127 Member+

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    o shit! The newest yank stokie.

8. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His announcement is that he's switching to Geico...

Juan Agudelo aka Master Trole 2013

[​IMG]

9. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Funny how Life turns out huh

11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Damn. Looks like we're back to loading up on Yanks in England. Our guys really gotta diversify. Head to Italy or Spain.

12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NBC has it in their contract that EPL gets right of first refusal. Loss of Dempsey is gonna hurt!

13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Oh yeah. Most def there

14. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we have more Yanks in Germany than any other European country. We have 11 in the Bundesliga and 3 in the second Bundesliga

15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How exactly is that supposed to happen??? I mean, are you suggesting JK should tell the next transfer that he's going to drop him from the Nats unless he goes to Italy or Spain? I don't understand what you're saying here.

16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    It was a joke. All of our guys, mostly MLS transfers, are to the PL. It wouldn't hurt if another league showed some interest in our guys.

17. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't Italy and Spain both have restrictions on non-EU players? Thus I think it's harder for Americans to garner interest.

18. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan

Italy does, but it's somewhat easy to get around

19. GalacticoX4

GalacticoX4 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Well good for him. Glad to know it. My stupid cable channels got screwed up so i lost nbc sports for a while plus i'm on the west coast so we don't get a ton of New England games. Hell they stopped playing Chivas games often on english language tv even.

i think part of it is they are in the U.S. and people ask them about players so they respond politely. Like when they ask Mourniho if he'd ever manage in MLS. I also know journalist make up stories. Then the next day they write another story debunking their own secretly fabricated story.

20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Has the mysterious "other club" that's shown interest in Agudelo been revealed? Or is their reluctance to be named indicative of their low chances to land him?

21. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    He was not on the roster (as expected given his injury) last night against TFC. In my opinion, that team really needs a healthy Agudelo, or Agudelo-type, to add something a little different to the attack...

22. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is he injured currently or being held out for a possible move?

23. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Well, that's what I was trying to figure out when I checked the report. Assuming the club was being truthful, he has not been training at full speed. I guess that could mean anything:

A right knee sprain will keep Juan Agudelo out of the Revolution’s lineup for the seventh straight game this weekend, but the 20-year-old forward is inching closer to a return. Agudelo spent the week working on agility exercises off to the side during New England’s training sessions, and Heaps is anticipating the U.S. National Team striker will provide a spark entering the stretch run.​
    “We’re hoping to have him soon and he’s getting closer,” Heaps said of Agudelo. “It’s going to be a good time for him to join us to add a little bit more energy to our group.”​

http://www.revolutionsoccer.net/new...-wins-revolution-returns-home-host-toronto-fc

24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yes................................

Spain has a limited number of roster slots for non-EU players. And of course they tend to go for the South Americans. [and I believe a limited number of first-team positions period.]

Italy used to have a restriction on the number of non-EU players that can be acquired in each transfer window. I don't know if that's still how it works.

So in these countries a young American like Agudelo is really in competition with young Argentines, Brazilians, Japanese, Africans (depending on the countries stance with the Cotonou agreement), etc. for a limited number of positions. Is Agudelo better than an Argentine or Brazilian equivalent? I don't know........................

In theory, a club in the UK could sign 5 Americans and 5 Argentines in the off-season..............as long as they all qualified for a work permit. So it's a different type of problem.

25. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I know this one! They are equivalent.