Juan Agudelo in "search" of a Club

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by jond, Jul 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alocksley

alocksley Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Word is they are offloading Jones, and Crouch is no longer a 90 minute player. Jerome and Walters are the real competition here. Depending on who's in form at a given time, and with cup ties to consider, Agudelo could see minutes at Stoke. The challenge is to make the most of them.

2. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    I think he's available to sign now on his free if he wants right? But otherwise, yah, great point I hadn't thought about.

3. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the manager wants him; he'll play.

Hughes didn't sign those guys. And I think, besides Crouch and Walters, most of those guys have been subpar for multiple seasons.

4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't understand this. Free transfer or transfer fee, Stoke still has to convince Juan to go there.

5. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hughes has personally been scouting Juan for three years and obviously is pretty interested in him. I doubt he'd go after him to this extent just to plant his ass on the bench. Juan would likely be either a sub option or go out on loan for a season. Hughes right now appears to be wanting to add younger talent who are more technical and creative than what Stoke had under TP. Juan fits that and I think his versatility would help as well as he can play on the wing.

MLS Transfers@MLSTransfers
    51m

Interest in Agudelo currently: Stoke, Celtic, Sunderland and now add Aberdeen to this list. More than likely trying to raise JA's price

6. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both Jones and Crouch are veteran PL strikers and then there's Walters and Cameron who can play up front too. I'm not sure what Crystal Palace's striker situation is but that might be a more appealing option. If he does sign with Stoke, I'd hope they loan him out to another league or a Championship club where he can get consistent PT.

7. jakepc42

jakepc42 Member+

Mar 26, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then you run the risk of having to fight for his signature. I would imagine there will be a couple suitors and i would think Celtic would have the pockets to compete with Stoke.

8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Celtic or Stoke. Not bad for Juan

9. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clubs can negotiate directly with Juan Agudelo right now. You can sign a pre-contract with a club as long as you are within 6 months of being a free agent, which he is. So if Stoke convinces Agudelo to sign, they have nothing to worry about.

So yeah, their will be a fight for his signature, but unless Agudelo is really dead set on leaving MLS this transfer window, the fight shouldn't be one that inflates his transfer fee. But hey, we'll see.

10. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heard he's refused to sign an extension so there's intent to leave MLS. Is he ready for EPL? IMO no. He needs work, still raw but has enough talent to contribute to Stoke City down the road, just not this season.

11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Not exactly ready but Stoke isn't loaded with attacking talent, so if he works at it, he can get some appearances for them. Just have to adapt quickly and mesh with their team. Hopefully this can get done before the season starts.

12. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can see some sub appearances yes but he's of course not first choice/starter material at the moment.

13. Sergei_Shtaniuk

Sergei_Shtaniuk Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    They all been pretty inconsistent.

Crouch was player of the year in 2011-12, but dropped off last year as the service from midfield vanished. Probably too old and slow to play as a lone striker anymore.

Jones was brilliant between June and October 2010, and March and May 2011, doing sod all in between. He then spent 18 months as backup to Crouch, won his place back in November 2012, and performed really well. Pulis then dropped him for no reason in January, and he never got a look in. Personally, I think hes by far our best striker, and hes been very poorly treated.

Jerome is a good sub, stretches teams with his pace, but has never performed when hes started a game, which make his recent crying about Pulis and favourites a bit rich.

Walters was good for 6 months two years ago. He a decent backup forward, and he works hard, but hes just not good enough

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  14. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love to see McAguelo and don the famous green and white hooped kit. Ahhhh, the possibilities! An American outfield player is needed on the good side of town. I grew tired of those other guys bagging Yanks over the years. Oh well, now they are irrelevant to our title chase. McAgudelo would be a fine addition. Plus, we need to someone to fill Hooper's shoes.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Plus CL ;)

m vann repped this.
  16. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Out of those sides I would order them as follows in terms of where I'd like to see Juan:

1. Celtic (CL club with a proven track record of developing young talent under Lennon)
    2. Sunderland (PDC would loan him out and nurture his development until ready for 1st team)
    3. Stoke (not sure of pressure of expectations, Hughes may expect too much too soon)
    4. Aberdeen (not a chance in hell, would be better off playing for the Revs)

Though I'd rather Juan go to the Eredivisie or Danish Superliga for his first European stop.

17. NatsTeamFan

NatsTeamFan Member

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    I'm not sure that Agudelo isn't ready for the PL. Honestly, the guys has looked really, really good when he can actually stay on the field. Injuries leave me with absolutely no idea where this guys current level is, honestly, I'd be more concerned with injuries at Stoke, as fragile as he is, and as physical as the EPL tends to be.

18. INKRO

INKRO Member+

Jul 28, 2011
    He probably isn't tbh, but Stoke is apparently really hankering for him for some reason. Still not sure if it's a good fit.

19. jakepc42

jakepc42 Member+

Mar 26, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he stays healthy he can fit in a multitude of styles. That is, after all why he's been so hyped.

20. GalacticoX4

GalacticoX4 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    is he even playing well i mls? I haven't seen him his year really.

21. stonejh127

stonejh127 Member+

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeh he has been doin well, knocked in some goals got a few assists despite a number of injuries and the unexpected move from chivas to New England.

22. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Yeah, he's looked good, I've thought. He could be the difference between New England making the playoffs and just missing out this season. Injury has limited him though.

23. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Signing at Crystal Palace also means you get to live in London as opposed to Stoke-on-Trent, which is about the population of Birmingham, AL.

I'm sure Stoke is nice and quaint and friendly, but it ain't London. If I were young and rich I know where I'd rather live.

24. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's pretty inevitable that Juan moves across the pond sometime soon.

I also think it's also important for US Soccer fans to notice and appreciate our depth right now at some positions. I mean, a "fringe" USMNT player (yes I know injuries/age etc) is receiving interest from clubs like Celtic and Stoke.

25. stonejh127

stonejh127 Member+

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What US player isn't recieving interest from Stoke. lol.

INKRO and Sandon Mibut repped this.