Juan Agudelo in "search" of a Club

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by jond, Jul 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, NE clearly comes out as winners here, right?

2. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't find a better situation than coming crawling back to NE?

Good job, Juan.

Is Juan maximizing his talent and potential? Obviously not. That's the real issue here, mismanagement and incompetence on both his part and his agent's part.

At his age is when his counterparts overseas are moving up the ladder and taking the next step. Juan's development and movement up the ladder has hit a brick wall, been lit on fire, ran over by an 18 wheeler, then pooped on by a flock of geese.

DiscoWarrior11 and justinpaul10 repped this.
  3. usry723

usry723 Member+

Aug 14, 2008
    Georgia, USA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guess it was about the money. Who woulda guessed?

4. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's always about money. There really isn't a market for American players overseas. Agudelo did get a contract, it's just that the silly Appeal board ( Doneil Henry gets a WP) would not allow him to play. Other offers were economically stimulating as the one he is about to get in MLS, probably.

5. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I miss the old vengeful MLS that lowballed the crap out of people who bypassed MLS or left MLS on a free.

Lee Nguyen was originally offered the league minimum contract after his Randers stint.

taylor repped this.
  6. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not playing any type of first team soccer for like 10 months should be.

7. bmbersoccer5

bmbersoccer5 Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Cincinnati
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No

8. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    like whom?

MLSFan123 and Martin Fischer repped this.
  9. shockbldxz

shockbldxz Member

Jul 15, 2014
    USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I imagine Juan will want to bolt for Europe once his Cypress passport goes through...how difficult will it be for him to escape the shackles of MLS midseason?

10. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    MLS is probably offering Juan a 4-year contract since they have more leverage in this case. If Juan doesn't like it, then don't sign it.

11. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What other resolution was there at this point? We should be happy he still wants to play soccer.

Martin Fischer repped this.
  12. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Assuming that he signs, I think we'll know pretty soon whether it's a win. If he gets on board for most of the pre-season, gets into top shape and works hard, he's a huge value. Hopefully, that's what happens.

13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    "Juan, weren't you saying 'England or bust'?"
    "You misunderstood me, it was 'New England or bust'!"

Jsean repped this.
  14. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Yup. This is a pretty big fail.

The EPL is the richest league in the world. The Eredivisie is also in top ten. MLS is probably around the 15-20th in average pay and 25th-30th in quality of play. Not getting the Stoke gig is understandable. Not finding anything in between 1 and 15 is just sad.

Winoman repped this.
  15. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure since New England has his rights they won't offer him a contract lower than the one they offered originally.

16. Jgco

Jgco Member

Jul 14, 2011
    #ROFL.

Jsean repped this.
  17. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Just curious, but why shouldn't it? He left for a reason. Usually when you do something else it is to try for something better. When you don't succeed at something there is always disappointment...and that's okay.

Jsean repped this.
  18. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because he can still play professional soccer for a good wage, make the USMNT and get a good European gig if he performs well. It's all to play for.

19. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    I agree. But there's certainly a sense of disappointment for fans and the player that his European Vacaction didn't turn out better.

Jsean repped this.
  20. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, I wish Real Madrid had replaced Ronaldo with him. But it's better than some European options.

For me, it's disappointing that he ever left. He wasn't ready for that kind of attempt.

First, players with better resumes, if less potential than him, namely Maurice Edu and Brek Shea, never got a serious run-out at Stoke (not saying they deserved to BTW). So, even in the unlikely event Agudelo got a work permit, the story was likely to be the same, lots of time not playing.

Second, Agudelo had been notoriously inconsistent in MLS, never even putting together a good whole season (even Brek Shea managed that). He was unlikely to succeed and while Stoke was willing to pay a low fee to take a chance, it wasn't a good gamble for Agudelo.

Of course, I am speaking as a USMNT fan and it's Agudelo's life and he has earned the right to make this decision.

21. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Well, he had an offer from 1860 last summer. His problem was that he was supposedly asking for play guarantees (I assume to secure a NT spot and not rot on the bench). Of course, few clubs are going to sign up for that for many players.

Jsean repped this.
  22. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No offense, but I am not disappointed that he didn't go to 1860 (nothing to do with Wood issues as I am done with that).

23. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Oh c'mon now, we have to start making the same excuses for Juan that were made for Bradley. He's got a woman and kid to think about now blah blah

Jsean repped this.
  24. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Well, playing is better than not playing. Okotie came, upped his game and is now getting offers from other [better] clubs, so it is not like playing at 1860 hurt him. It's not like just because one player has issues at a club that it is pervasive. But if Agudelo has an ego that he cannot check, then maybe it was good he didn't go.

Jsean repped this.
  25. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, this is bad for Juan, clearly a setback.

But in MLS terms...the Revs should be smokin' this year if they can replace AJ Soares. That shouldn't be hard, because I rate him as an above average MLS starter. If Diego Fagundez gets back to his 2013 form, they'll be Shield favorites without doubt. And a hell of alot of fun to watch.

Bruce S repped this.