JP Angel on the Playoffs: It’s a strange situation...

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by RedBulls, Oct 23, 2007.

1. RedBulls

RedBulls New Member

Feb 19, 2007
  2. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don Garber has got to love that quote. Of course Mr. Angel is completely right.

3. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it's just uneard of in The Rest of the World for the league's champion to be decided by something other than the final standings in the overall table. :rolleyes:

Maybe he should refresh himself about the cuadrangulares and the gran final in Colombia.

4. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess he also missed that because his team didn't do well in the regular season his team will not be one of the top four MLS teams that will be playing in the Superliga, didn't win the Open Cup or the Supporters Shield. That was the regular season.

He may have also missed that there is a nice big Cup and a place in the CCC for the teams that wins the second season with teams that finished higher than his team in the regular season having home field advantage.

The regular season does matter---a LOT.

5. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was really missing these anti-playoff threads. It's been 4 months, I think.

6. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    angel doesnt understand sport just soccer tell him stick to his day job.. NY didnt win the shield and thy wont win the Cup ...... :)

7. Revs007

Revs007 Member

Nov 11, 2000
    Boston
    No anti playoff threads because:

1) There is nothing that can be done.
    2) Galaxy didn't make the playoffs :D

8. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i agree, i also think the single table format is meaniningless. look at the NFL and MLB they are divided fractionally and all the teams dont play each other if they do its not evenly (except division games) and you stil have heated races... MLS is fixing som kinks to the playoffs structure and the bi conference format is the best for this league, cause the teams are regional stuctured, also the league is 12 yrs old and taking time on expansion. also remeber this is a american (north american) league really dont need the european advising on how champions are determined.:)

9. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well... if you forget about all the cups you can qualify for... the regular season seems silly when the playoffs start. MLS needs to do a better job of the overall education of what all the things MLS teams can qualify for during the REGULAR season and not the playoffs. Many people who are new to MLS obviously will think the regular season is a joke if they don't know everything they can qualify for.

10. jfugate

jfugate Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Chi-town
    Playoffs make a heck of a lot of sense when you have teams that potentially never or rarely play each other, such as in the NFL or MLB. You need some way of determining who is actually the best team in those leagues, because there's no way for every team to play every other team.

With MLS, it makes less sense, because every team plays every other team. I don't really have a problem with it, though. With the addition of the extra tournaments during the year, it would be great to turn the playoffs into almost a separate mini-season/tournament that gets a team entrance into something prestigious. Give different rewards for both Supporter's Shield and MLS Cup so they are both extremely meaningful to the team that wins them.

11. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    I agree. Qualification for any tournament should be based solely on how you performed last year.

12. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

right and wrong,,,,, depends on the time of the yr.... two euro leagues and thier format never really determine a real Champion because the way thier regular season ends(no playoffs afterwards to detrmine champion) the rgular season ends and thats it no playoffs they start a news season.... and those teams that "qualified" from "last yr" are not always gonna have the same players going into the tournement, cause the tornement is based on last yrs results.... that will never work here because its already confusing and there is no connection between the league season andthe next step...

13. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Why would Garber expect lockstep agreement on a topic where this same comment has been thrown out pretty much every year by people of all sorts?

b. How is someone's personal opinion right? I disagree with Angel, but that doesn't make me right.

14. pooh

pooh Member

Mar 6, 2003
    Inviting two thirds of the teams to the 'big dance' is wrong on its face

15. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm not sure which face you're talking about, but it's only 8/13 = 60%! :rolleyes:

16. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I agree in principle on that, games until the final day made a difference with eight teams. A six-team playoff would have rendered the last 2-3 weeks as moot. The SuperLiga slots were pretty much sewn up a month ago. The Shield was done before the final week.

There are tradeoffs to each system. There is no right and wrong.

17. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    exactly. any system (that MLS uses) could be considered "strange."

especially for a guy who played seven seasons in England where "playoffs" are reserved for the lower leagues.

i don't think JP Angel will care that the MLS playoffs seem "strange" now, if his team somehow manages to win games on 11/8 and 11/18.

18. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Of course, the rest of us would think that strange.

19. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And it would also be strange if the regular season only counted for qualification for two tournaments that only rewarded teams with between five and six games maximum and were dubious in some regard because not everyone was in season when they took place and they don't guarantee all that much money to the teams.

Plus, he comes from a country with an interesting playoff setup.

20. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    of course.

very strange.

although, i'm guessing NY has one of the most experienced (if not best) playoff coaches in league history.

I sure someone has the numbers handy, but but it would be interesting to see how the MLS playoff records for the eight coaches stack up.

21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Preki, Tom Soehn, Juan Carlos Osorio, and Curt Onalfo are undefeated in the playoffs.

22. jfranz

jfranz New Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Clearly just another example of Wikipedia's unreliability. This has got to be wrong. Everyone knows that single-table/balanced-schedule/no-playoffs is the SUBLIME UNIVERSAL STANDARD. MLS - and only MLS - is a perversion of this perfected model, intended to please the ignorant and generic American sports fan. :rolleyes:

23. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    as coaches, yes.

but they're also winless (as coaches) in MLS playoff games.

if anyone has the MLS playoff coaching records for Arena, Nicol, Morrow and Kinnear, it could be an interesting comparison.
    (actually, Morrow has no playoff games coached, as he took over at FCD when Clarke was fired on November 7, 2006 -- according to wikipedia).

either way, the "conference" finals are going to have (at least) two "rookie" coaches featured. experience on the sidelines could be a significant factor in the Cup semifinals.

24. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    I'm not sure how relevant a coach's record in the best of 3 format is to success in a 180 minute, home and home aggregate match up.

25. stinky

stinky Member

May 14, 2000
    Long Beach, NY

relevant or not, it would be interesting. ;)