Jozy and the Footycats: Altidore at Sunderland

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dr. Gamera, Jul 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Injuries... He wasn't always this immobile, knee injuries did him in.

2. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I liked to watch him years ago. He was a very scary player to go up against and he always scored a couple of amazing goals a season. He is still only 26.

3. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
  4. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
  5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    That's a great thing if they succeed but horrible if they fail

6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Can't wait for the damn season to start and seeing Jozy score the 1st goal of the season.

7. MadRHatter

MadRHatter Member

May 6, 2012
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I've read on a particular Sunderland forum, there's almost unanimous excitement.

8. GalacticoX4

GalacticoX4 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    this is a good Sunderland board. http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=791209 I occasionally poked my head in to see what they were saying. mostly positive outlook so far. But time will tell.

9. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan

A few are a bit hesitant based on QPR turning over their club, but more point out how QPR didn't really have a plan (M'Bia not knowing who QPR was when he signed). Most love that they aren't just signing retreads though.

10. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Most seem cautiously excited/optimistic. The whole turnover thing must feel good when they were so close to relegation. They really only sold one contributing player, Mignolet the GK. Arguably Bramble as well. Otherwise they've let go a lot of players that weren't playing and signed a lot of new young players.

11. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been reading this forum since he signed. They are very down on Wickham and Graham, so hopefully Jozy makes a good first impression.

12. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Paolo Di Canio humiliated Phil Bardsley – by leaving him to train with the kids when Sunderland left for a training camp in Italy. - GetFootballNews

13. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Who is Bardley? Does he matter?

14. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  15. t3oni

t3oni Member

May 9, 2013
    odemwingie to Sunderland....i think they are sigining to many players now, i dont see sense in this singing they alredy got like 5 strikers already, except they want graham, Ji gone

16. austieaust1

austieaust1 Member

Nov 20, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't think I've seen this posted yet but fwiw Friday on BBC's World Football Phone-In (http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/wf ), so called European Football Expert, (Paul Sarahs; https://twitter.com/Wanchope_Dickov) weighed in on Jozy's move to Sunderland.

At several points throughout the show he discusses the move; starting with a comparison of Jozy and Wilfried Bony and predicts that Jozy will be a flop in the EPL and on the bench come November 1......

Although i disagree with his predictions, it's worth the listen if you want to get an alternative opinion.

McGarnagle repped this.
  17. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Odemwingie can play four different positions: left wing, right wing, centre forward and secondary striker. A useful player to have, PDC is hardly over signing. I'm sure two of Graham, Ji and Wickham will be out before the end of the window too.

18. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me guess: he didn't score at Hull, he scored fewer goals than Bony last season, and goals in the Dutch league don't count.

yellowbismark repped this.
  19. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He said he covered a lot of Jozy's games but he doesn't go into specifics as to why he'll flop, just that teams in Holland are set up to get the #9 goals, he didn't score anywhere else and Klinsmann doesn't rate him because Herculez Gomez started games over him. He spent a minute or two gushing about Bony's specific attributes that will make him a success in England.(such as his strength and powerful shot...hmm):confused:

20. t3oni

t3oni Member

May 9, 2013

IMO i think Jozy has a way powerful shot, judging from some of his goals. i think differently tho, i think Bony will flop, flop in the sense that he wont score as many expect him to score, he is a good player but like jozy, they were too powerful for dutch defense and could bully there way in, but jozy was way more clinical in his finishing, did one-twos on several occasions, well timed movements to score...and so on. Bony was more like give me the ball, push defense away and shot, i'm sure he wont be able to do that in the EPL. Bony maybe 5 goals, Jozy atleast 10.

21. austieaust1

austieaust1 Member

Nov 20, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's basically it. He doesn't "rate" him. Brought up Jozy's drought for the Nats and doesn't think he got what it takes to score 10 goals in the EPL based on watching him at AZ about 20 times over the past 2 years. Thanks, McG for elaborating.

22. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No problem, and I don't think Jozy is a flawless player that is sure to be a success in England, I would just like to hear a fair assessment from the guy.

23. austieaust1

austieaust1 Member

Nov 20, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Jozy is no sure thing but I'd love to see him succeed in England and silence the doubters.

24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Bony is set up to fail as he is too high profile - the expectations will be different. Also, I think Jozy's game is actually a bit better suited for the EPL - or as well suited perhaps. The type of play he has learned/become comfortable with over the past couple of years - some of his hold up play with AZ, the assist to Demps that was really smart/confident play and his previous stint in England all suggest to me that he will go in with his eyes wide-open, aware of how difficult it will be but also where and how the success will come. It will be interesting to watch.

25. JohhnyCaps

JohhnyCaps Member

Jul 20, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think Jozy's success will be more reliant on how well Di Canio turns-over the Cats squad in this transfer window... i.e. will the mifield be quality enough to get him and fletcher the ball consistently... will sassegnon be kept or traded, who else can they bring in, etc.

freisland repped this.