Joy Division or New Order

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by hangthadj, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Ted Cikowski

Ted Cikowski Red Card

May 31, 2000
    Nw Order are more influential than Joy Division. Sure maybe indie rockers might cite Joy Division but everyone else cites New Order as an influence. Joy Division were good but New Order was great. Plus you got great lyrics from bernard Sumner like "every second counts when I am with you, I think you are a pig - you should be in a zoo", when did Ian Curtis ever come up with something like that?

But now New Order is a joke. 'Get Ready' was a decent album but let's look at this...

- New Order used to be opposed to lip synching and now they lip synch.

- New Order never used to mime on videos and now they do

- They never used to believe in guest artist but now they do....they had Billy Corgan on their last album and they themselves are appearing on Gwen Stefani's solo album. LAME.

Plus it's sad seeing old wrinkley New Order still writing songs about broken relationships. I wish they would just stop but their new album is out in sprin 2005.

New Order has lost it's rebel mentality that they had in the 80's.

Still 'Brotherhood' and 'Technique' are great listens.

2. YanksFC

YanksFC Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    That makes two of us, hang. I was bored.

3. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

'Brotherhood' in my mind is the most underated album in theiir catalog. It may actually be my favorite of theirs. 'Every Second Counts' is definately a classic tune, and the laughter at the beinning of the track adds even a bit more to it.

I had no idea about the lip synching, and thats truly a shame since I had never seen them live before.

'Get Ready' while not the strongest in their catalog still finds its way into my cd player quite a bit more often than most releases of the past few years.

I can't understand why they would be opposed to guest appearences and have no problem with them doing it. To me I don't really see the differnce between them giving out songs for remixes, or remixing other songs themselves. But maybe thats a whole different discussion.

As far as the new album, I've heard its a bit of a return to the dance type feel of 'Technique.' I for one am definately looking forward to it.

4. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    But it could also be argued that New Order led to the proliferation of Euro-trash dance imitators that were the musical plague of the 80s.

My favorite New Order song is "Ceremony" which is a Joy Division song anyway.

5. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Galaxie 500 actually oes a pretty decent cover of that tune as well.

6. Ted Cikowski

Ted Cikowski Red Card

May 31, 2000
    I like Brotherhood and Technique the best. Every single song on Brotherhood is great, especially 'Weirdo' and 'Way of Life'.

I don't think they lip synch live in concert but they lip synched the last time they were on 'Top of the Pops' which is ironic since they were the first band to refuse to lip synch on that show. They also lip synched a performance in 1993 on the set of the show 'Baywatch'. Yes New Order appeared o the show Baywatch with David Hasselhoff. They lip synch alot of live TV appearances...which they never used to do.

ok the song 60 miles an hour is great, the rest is ok, the music is still good but what's up with SUmners lyrics? He's gone from really bad and funny to just really bad.

"the day was very clear, the sun was beating down on me / I got thirsty for a beer, so I had to go to sea"

pure dreck.

They always appeared on obscure artists albums i the 80's like Quando Quango and Paul Haig and others. Now they appear on Gwen Stefani's album and Bernard Sumner was on a Chemical Brothers album and Primal Scream. That's ok I guess but they never had people appear on their albums like Billy Corgan on 'Get Ready' and they even had one of the Red Hot Chili Peppers play live with them. Puke. I just can't see that happening in 1987.

I'm sure the album will be terrible. I just kind of think that New Order, The Cure and Morrissey have said everything they've had to say. Not to mention that U2 and REM should have retired a long long time ago. I just read that Erasure has a new album coming out - what's wrong with these idiots?

Oddly enough Depeche Mode is still making music that I consider relevant. They are getting more experimental as they get older and don't make cheesy synth pop any longer.