Journeys with George

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Dolemite, Nov 6, 2002.

1. Dolemite

Dolemite Member+

Apr 2, 2001
    East Bay, Ca
    did anyone else see this last night on HBO??? it's a documentary on dubba's campaign for the white house, made by one of the members of his press corp. i really liked it. a great look at the more human side of a campaign. it's definatly worth watching

2. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I caught about 45 minutes of it and was pleased to see myself in it in one scene.

Back to the topic, I thought it was funny when they were on the train and they were trying to figure out if it was a man or woman that was mooning them.

Overall it was pretty good and showed another side of the President. It gave some great insight into the man and shows just how people underestimate him too much.

3. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I haven't watched it yet but plan to. Interestingly, the young woman who made the movie is Alexandra Pelosi, daughter of California Democratic congresswoman Nancy Pelosi.

4. Dolemite

Dolemite Member+

Apr 2, 2001
    East Bay, Ca
    Re: Re: Journeys with George

yeah well there isn't any real political spin on it...... i mean i enjoyed it and i'm a liberal.

5. YanksFC

YanksFC Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Re: Re: Re: Journeys with George

Yeah, I hate to admit it (I'm a registered Democrat), but I enjoyed it as well. GW certainly has a way with people. He's certainly more charismatic on a person-to-person basis than he is speaking to a group of people. While I disagree with most of his policies, I think he seems like a likeable person.

There was one part of the documentary, however, that was sort of awkward -- where he kisses Alexandra on the cheek. That sort of creeped me out for some reason.

I have to give credit to Alexandra for not putting her own personal spin on the documentary. Although she depicted other journalists who clearly were not fans of GW's policies, she herself portrayed him in a very positive light.

6. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Re: Re: Re: Journeys with George

I didn't mean to imply that there was any political spin in the film. I was just pointing out that the filmmaker is the daughter of a powerful Democrat. I've seen Alexandra Pelosi interviewed on TV and while she is a flaming liberal, by all accounts she did a very good job with the film and did not do a "Roger and Me" type hit piece like Roger Moore.

7. Max Power

Max Power New Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu
    Were you the guy at the N.H. airport who just pointed his finger in W's face and stared at him? ;)

8. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sadly no, that was not I. I was in the scene when he was walking down a street during a St. Patty's Day parade. I was suckered into helping out on his campaign stop. I got to stay with the Press Corp while they did their feeds.

9. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana

Since when did the ex-James Bond begin making political documentaries?

10. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Re: 007

Oops! I meant that fat bloated pig, Michael Moore.

11. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Journeys with George

The former paster of my former church is an NYPD chaplin. He said that when Bush came to NY after 9/11, he noticed that he spent alot of time tralking to people in small groups. He seemed to really be able to communicate in a way that he cannot when giving a speech on t.v. or to other politicians.

12. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    Did you see his press conference Q and A today?

He was surprisingly good.

I think when they asked him about the Rep victories. They tried to say it was because of him. He said it was because the winners ran good race, and gave the impression that they could be trusted.

I think he also gives that impression. I think when he advised them he told them to go out of their way to give that impression.

13. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this like the time Curious George found the Man in the Yellow Hat's tequilla?

Curious George's
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 down, 23 to go!

14. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    I beg of you, keep underestimating him!!!!

15. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Or "misunderestimating" him, as the man himself would say.

16. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look, the guy is the head of a pretty good presidency, but it not just him doing it. The presidency is more than one man, and all of the people that make it up are doing a pretty decent job. However, the man himself may have went to Yale and scored 1350 on his SATs (or whatever it was), but he is lacking a lot of common sense. There are two smarts; book smarts and street smarts. He seems to be missing some street smarts, and I am not convinced he has all that much in the way of book smarts.

17. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    "street smarts?"

When I think of street smarts I think of the real thing. In that respect does any president have street smarts?

I real street guy confronts any president past or president just one v one with no one else around. They will walk away with all his money, and be a partner in any business he has.

None of these guys can deal with life on the real street. Most of the posters here couldn't deal with either.

Richie

18. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, based on your interpretation, no president of yet has street smarts. When you think of street smarts you think of surviving on the streets using knowledge learned on the streets, and while this isn't wrong, it is a little extreme. Street smarts are the lessons of life, what you have learned outside of the classroom. That is what I meant by street smarts.

19. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched about 10 minutes of this thing, and Bush looked retarded. Literally retarded, as in, they wouldn't execute him even in Texas. Now, that was only 10 minutes (it included the scene where Pelosi bemoans her hair falling out, and also the scene where Bush tries to talk her into voting for him in the Cali primary.)

20. Metros#1

Metros#1 New Member

May 14, 2001
    NJ
    It must be eating you inside such a "retarded" person went to became the president of US and just now helped his party buck the history by making solid gains in mid-term election. :)

As an independent who did not go for W last time, I was impressed by W in this film. I was always impressed by his (or in large part, his father's) team. but now I can see he does have that one-v-one (or one-v-small-group) ability to get things done in Washington D.C., something even super smooth Willie had problems from time to time in the past. How he use that ability remains to be seen in next two years, which will help me decide what to do in 2004.

21. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Gimme a B, gimme an I, gimme an A, gimme an S....

22. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    "something even super smooth Willie had problems from time to time in the past"

On Clinton when he first became president he had taken the unpopular side of some issues. Then someone got to him a political strategist, I forget his name and he changed Clintons whole way of picking the side of issues.

As a person he has not core, no convictions of his own.

So he was a perfect guy for the new strategy. Which was whatever the polls said, he was for. If he was for a low poll issue. He would change his position on the issue to agree with the polls. That alone can make someone a popular president. He is on the side of any popular issue.

Because of this he became and really was a middle of the road president. That is why he was re elected. If it wasn't for the other things he could have ran again in this next president election cooming up, and won again.
    ----------

Now why did the Republicans in congress hate him? This has been stated by Oren Hatch more then once but not infront of a big forum.

When Clinton made a deal with the Republican congress on issues. He would be approached by the democrates in congress, and they would talk Billy out of that deal. They said if he did reneg they would have a better chance to regain the congress.

Clinton listened to that advice and backed out of more then one deal with the Republicans.

Republicans in congress hated him for that. (One time in particular was when the gov had to be shut down remember that? That should never had happened that was the one of the deals Clinton made then didn't do) Clinton at times would even sandbag the republicans on deal, and not even tell them until they heard him at a press conference.

23. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watched it yesterday afternoon-not very good. It lacked any real tension or insight that might give the film an edge. After a while it got rather boring; Pelosi's valentine to Bush.

One of the few points in the film that I did think was worth noting, was the point the guy from Finanical Times made, re: the attitude/feelings the Bush pool had towards W and the Gore pool had towards their subject. He noted that all he heard was how much the press pool disliked Gore and hinted how might color the coverage. Perhaps that was the better movie: how the "liberal press" ate one of its own. Talk about a 180 degree difference-"you know, I think Gore's smart and knows the issues, probably will vote for him, but man as a person, I just can't stand the fu@#er!"

24. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    I think Gore and this past congressional election election harped on one thing a little too much.

That was class struggle trying to pitt the middle class nice democrates, against those dirty 1 % rich republican bastards that are getting the entire tax cut.

That hate never happened, it did not work. Neither

Sound bites do work, but hearing the same thing over and over and over again in answer to every economy question is annoying to the listener. It might even make the voter think, the politians think their idiots and really don't know the answer to the economy.

Neither did the fear tactic. Try to get old people to think that a Republican in office will end their social security.

Or they will end the mothers right to chose aka Abortion aka killing of the defenseless unborn little baby.

Those 2 issues are not going to change.

Or we will be in trouble if the rep makes judges.

-----------------

On Social security as I understand it older people who have SS will keep SS it will not end or be lowered.

A young person will be given a choice SS or returement saving accounts. If that means your next of kin can receive what is left in your retirement account I am all for that after you die.

Both my father and my mother contributed into SS their whole life. Dad died just before 65. Mom dies within a year after her 63 birthday.

All that money they put in was lost to the family who put it in.

25. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do a google on DLC and Clinton, and see how wrong you are.