Journey To South Africa 2010 [The Reggae Boyz Chronicles]

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by I-Got-The-BLUES, Jul 30, 2008.

1. ja2ny

ja2ny Member

Aug 5, 2008
    long Island,N.Y.
    yo de balla mash up the Mexican dem. Ah salad and shift pon de flank. yeh mon we beat the best team in the region.:cool:

2. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia

I like Jamal Campbell Ryce's workrate this game. He was everywhere and cause Mexico problems on the right flank. Its a pity that fraud Simoes never used him in those3 games earlier. Its clear that he was Man of the match.:cool:

3. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia

yes iyah!

4. I-Got-The-BLUES

May 1, 2006
    Orlando, Florida.
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Mi nuh get too hype up yet....mek we beat Honduras a wi yard, an me'll start feel it.
    But wicked win fi wi....very proud a we Boyz

5. I-Got-The-BLUES

May 1, 2006
    Orlando, Florida.
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  6. ja2ny

ja2ny Member

Aug 5, 2008
    long Island,N.Y.
    'Tappa' sums up win in a 'few words', focuses on Honduras test
    Sean Williams
    Monday, October 13, 2008

[​IMG]Jamaica's interim head coach Theodore Whitmore gives instructions to his players during the Reggae Boyz's World Cup qualifying game against Mexico at the National Stadium on Saturday night. Jamaica won 1-0. (Photo: Bryan Cummings)
    As usual, Theodore Whitmore is a man of few words.
    On Saturday after Jamaica's Reggae Boyz's stunning 1-0 win over mighty Mexico at the National Stadium courtesy of Ricardo Fuller's 14th-minute strike, Whitmore was his economical self with words, offering only snippets as he responded to journalists questions.

While the nation was overjoyed with the death-defying win which breathed new life in the flagging Boyz's CONCACAF World Cup qualifying crusade, Whitmore's mind was obviously fast-forwarded to the game against Honduras on Wednesday which the Boyz must win to stay in contention.
    They must also win against Canada on November 19 to keep the dream alive.
    "I am not going to say much because as they say 'the half is still to be told'.I am going to say the other half on Wednesday night after the game," said Jamaica's two-goal hero at the France World Cup Finals in 1998.
    Looking back at Saturday's campaign-rescuing win which was punctuated by an electrifying 'Office' atmosphere and a lordly rendition by the players, Whitmore noted that the key to victory was the selection of "the best players" and a careful study of the powerful opponent.
    "We analysed how the Mexico team plays. we tied up the midfield and then played the ball wide," he said.
    "As any coach would do, I selected the best players to represent the country. And another thing, I selected players to win games for me," he added.
    Even as the Boyz looked attractive and confident in their overall play, Whitmore noted the delivery was not without its share of flaws, but he did not elaborate.
    "There were areas that we could do better in, but as I said, in a couple of days we have another game against Honduras, so we have a lot of work to do," he noted as he addressed a post-match press briefing on Saturday.
    Stern-faced midfielder, Rudolph Austin, will miss the midweek fixture due to yellow-card build-up.
    Saturday's win was the third for Whitmore, as he was the man in charge when the Boyz defeated El Salvador (3-0) and Guatemala (2-0) at the National Stadium in friendlies in November last year.
    Meanwhile, Mexico's Swedish coach, Sven-Goran Ericksson, was full of praise for the Jamaican effort.
    "I want to congratulate Jamaica because they won a very tight game. I think they played well and used what they are good at to their advantage.they used corner kicks, free-kicks, crosses, counter-attacks, but I believe they were a bit lucky with the goal, but that's life in football," noted the former England manager.

"I think we played part of the game very well, but we didn't move the ball quickly and that's the only way to beat Jamaica because physically we cannot compete with them," he added.
    The Boyz, on four points, must now beat Honduras and Canada if they harbour the faintest of hopes of advancing from Group B of the play-offs to the final Group of Six to be contested next year.
    With their 3-1 win over Canada on Saturday, Honduras join Mexico at the top of the standings with nine points. Canada only have a point to show and have been eliminated from the race.

7. ja2ny

ja2ny Member

Aug 5, 2008
    long Island,N.Y.
    'Johnny' Barnes praises spirit and fight of Boyz
    DANIA BOGLE, Observer staff reporter bogled@jamaicaobserver.com
    Monday, October 13, 2008

[​IMG]Reggae Boyz head coach designate, John Barnes (left) consults with interim head coach Theodore Whitmore at the Digicel Premier League game between Meadhaven and Portmore United at the Constant Spring playing field yesterday. Portmore won 1-0. (Photo: Garfield Robinson)
    NEW Jamaica national senior team coach John Barnes said the team's performance in the 1-0 win over Mexico in the 2010 World Cup qualifier on Saturday at the National Stadium was demonstrative of the spirit and fight the Reggae Boyz have been accused of lacking in the past.
    Barnes, who arrived in the island on Thursday as an observer in the games against Mexico and Honduras before taking up his post on November 1 in time for the qualifier against Canada at home some two-and-half weeks later, said he felt relief at the end.
    "(Because) they were playing against one of the top teams in the world and they were putting up a good fight and working hard and had discipline and commitment and desire and all the qualities I suppose people would say Jamaican football has lacked in the past," he told the Observer during a post-match interview yesterday.
    The Jamaicans, with one point from three of their games up to that point and needing a victory to keep even a sliver of hope of qualifying for the next stage of qualifying for the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa, did just that thanks to Ricardo Fuller's 14th strike which gave the Reggae Boyz the 1-0 victory over the Central Americans.
    "I doubt anyone would argue that they lacked ability or talent, but the togetherness and the spirit that they showed I think is a very good sign. a lot of possession and to defend well. I suppose in the old days they wouldn't have had the defensive discipline to come through that lead, but fortunately they did," said Barnes, who was made a Member of the British empire (MBE) in 1997.
    The Jamaicans are now on four points from two games and face Honduras also at the National Stadium on Wednesday and Barnes said there is still a long way to go.
    The former England international and television commentator said criticism of former technical director Rene Simoes' player choices are easy now, but hindsight is always 20/20.
    Simoes was fired on September 11 after less than a year in the job following Jamaica's 0-2 loss to Honduras in Central America.
    "It's easy to look back in hindsight and say 'if we had these', but we don't know what could have happened but we know what did happen so as to what could have happened... it's pointless to look at what could have happened because it's gone but I know that we're still in with an opportunity and so I'm happy for that," said Barnes.
    Barnes will also be in charge of the national football squad's preparation for the Digicel Caribbean Cup between December 1 and 15, the CONCACAF Gold Cup in June next year, as well as the Final Round World Cup Qualifiers in 2009, should Jamaica advance following which his contract will be reviewed.
    Barnes played professional football for Watford, Liverpool, Newcastle United and Charlton Athletic in the English Premier league and League Championship. He made 409 appearances for Liverpool scoring 108 goals and was voted Football Writers' Association Player of the Year in 1988 and 1990.

8. ja2ny

ja2ny Member

Aug 5, 2008
    long Island,N.Y.
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Reggae Boyz ready for battle [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ainsley Walters, STAR Writer [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][​IMG] [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Omar Daley ... set to replace suspended Rudolph Austin in midfield. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]CROWDED in the grandstand at the National Stadium, they spoke in hushed tones with concerned looks on their faces, almost intense. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]They cheered encouraging plays but were equally quick to shout advice when displeased. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Change the ball. Yeahhh." came the approval after Jamal Campbell-Ryce coolly collected the ordered pass, swung from left to right wing. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"A who dat?" was the reaction after a shot shook goalkeeper Donovan Ricketts' right upright. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Training at the National Stadium yesterday evening drew more than 200 spectators, who were all in their seats before the stated 7:00 start time. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Omar Cummings' ninth minute shot at Ricketts' goal, which had the lanky 'keeper beaten, but was interrupted by the post, drew gasps from the crowd, as if it was fired at the goalie in this evening's must-win semi-final round World Cup qualifier against Honduras. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]However, it was the Boyz in [COLOR=blue! important][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][COLOR=blue! important][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]vests[/FONT][/FONT][/color][/color], obviously coach Theodore Whitmore's starting line-up, who first found the back of the net in the full-field scrimmage.
    Omar Daley, Whitmore's replacement for suspended Rudolph Austin, hit a firm grounder past Shawn Sawyers from the left side of the box, drawing applause from the crowd. Whitmore last night wasted no time in showing his hand early at training, handing out the Boyz' customary training vests to all but one outfield player from Saturday's starting line-up when Jamaica scored a 1-0 win over [COLOR=blue! important][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][COLOR=blue! important][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Mexico[/FONT][/FONT][/color][/color]
    [​IMG]
    'Shirts' won
    The suspended Austin played with the 'Shirts' team while Bradford City's Daley came into the attacking midfield role alongside Ricardo Gardner
    However, [COLOR=blue! important][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][COLOR=blue! important][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Shirts[/FONT][/FONT][/color][/color] won the scrimmage as Cummings, the [COLOR=blue! important][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][COLOR=blue! important][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Colorado[/FONT][/FONT][/color][/color] Rapids MLS striker, cut inside and fired a goal past Ricketts in the 36th minute and recalled midfielder Jermaine Hue made it 2-1 with a 20-yard free-kick, beating the starting goalie at his near post.
    Whitmore had enough of the scrimmage after 40 minutes and sent the rest of the team to stretch while his strikers, Campbell-Ryce, Luton Shelton and Ricardo Fuller practised penalties under his watchful eye.
    The Boyz all looked sharp and ready for this evening's encounter, a must-win if they are to stay alive in Group 2 of CONCACAF semi-final qualifying. Kick-off time is also set for 7 o'clock.
    Must-win home games
    Saturday's 1-0 defeat of Mexico was the first of three must-win home games for the Boyz, who moved to third and four points in the four-team group behind Honduras and Mexico on nine points each.
    No-hopers [COLOR=blue! important][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][COLOR=blue! important][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Canada[/FONT][/FONT][/color][/color] remain stuck on one point, earned against Jamaica, and will face the wrath of Mexico, who are still smarting from what has been described as an 'embarrassing' defeat in Jamaica.
    Whitmore again, as he did against the Mexicans, last night reeled off his homework on the Hondurans.
    "Honduras are a very big and strong team, physical," he said. "We have to match them physically but we want to keep possession of the ball and keep them on the back foot at all times," he added.
    Whitmore said Honduras were given free rein in [COLOR=blue! important][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][COLOR=blue! important][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]San [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][COLOR=blue! important][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pedro[/FONT][/color][/FONT][/color][/color] Sula but will be reeled in tonight.
    "In Honduras, we gave them a lot of room and did not match them physically. We allowed them to do what they wanted. This is a much different team and we are playing at home in a crucial situation, needing three points," he pointed out.
    Worst-case scenario
    The worst-case scenario for Jamaica would be edging Honduras out of second place, if even on goal difference, as Mexico are expected to wipe out Canada tonight and book their place in the final round on 12 points.
    Should Jamaica beat Honduras and move to seven points, their last match, against Canada in November, would also be a must-win.
    A Honduran draw against Mexico would put them on 10 points with goal difference left to decide who advance.
    Honduras enter tonight's match with a plus-six goal difference and Jamaica minus-four, meaning a big win could benefit the Boyz later down the road.
    However, Whitmore said he is not into demanding many goals from his team.
    "I don't want to [COLOR=blue! important][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][COLOR=blue! important][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]stress[/FONT][/FONT][/color][/color] them on scoring a lot of goals. We will create many chances and half chances. We just want to put them away," he said. [​IMG]
    Ricardo Fuller (left) of Jamaica getting the better of Mexico's Torrado Gerrardo last Saturday at the National Stadium. Fuller scored to give Jamaica a 1-0 victory over Mexico in the CONCACAF Group B World Cup qualifying match. - ian allen [/FONT]

9. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia
    Jamaica 1-0 Honduras - Luton Shelton 17 mins gone.:cool:

10. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    go man go!
    beat those fools!

11. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia
    Ricardo Fuller misses an open goal that wouldve put the boyz up 2-0.:(

12. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia
    Jamaica 1 - 0 Honduras FT. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    gj Jamaica!

14. Warlord

Warlord New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    District of Columbia
    Congrats to the boyz. 7 pts and now the pressure is on Honduras to win the final game. dem tink sey wi done but wi nuh done yet.!:D

15. I-Got-The-BLUES

May 1, 2006
    Orlando, Florida.
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Tings nice!!!!!! :D

16. AZTECA

AZTECA New Member

Jun 24, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Huge props to Jamaica, you shut all of those loud mouth writers from Honduras.

17. ja2ny

ja2ny Member

Aug 5, 2008
    long Island,N.Y.
    Oh yea? Can you say foot in mouth syndrome?;)

18. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    that would be jacked up if Jamaica puts Hounduras out of the Hex.

19. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    or mexico

Lets go Jamaica!!!! you guys are able to score 7 goals on canada!
    show what you are made off!
    lets go reggae boyzzzz!

20. Surinamese-man

Aug 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Surinam
    Wa Gwan.My congratulations to the all the Jamaicans and Trinidadians.My home country Suriname doesn't mean any business anymore and i hope that we can win from Haiti at the very last with all the power we have with oner before we definitely gone.

Most Surinamese people and all other Caribbeans will now backup Jamaica and Trinidad.It's our Caribbean tradition to do so because of the unity of the Caribbean CARICOM nations.

Good luck,i know you guys can do it!!!!

21. GUANACO1

GUANACO1 Member

May 18, 2007
    Los Angeles

I hope Jamaica advances as well .. It will be an easier game for EL Salvador if we play Jamaica not Honduras. If Jamaica goes to next round.it will look like this >>>>

1. USA*
    2. Mexico*
    3. EL Salvador*
    4. COsta RIca
    5. Jamaica
    6 Trinidad & TObago

* - qualify to WC 2010

22. GUANACO1

GUANACO1 Member

May 18, 2007
    Los Angeles

You guys were at home right?

COngrats anyways

23. Kingston-King

Kingston-King Member

Aug 31, 2008
    Jamaica
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Gwan bro.You guys couldn't make it,but atleast you guys have shown balls.And those Haitians,make dem suffer,dem talk crap about how big they are because of their CFU title.
    Start focus on the Digicel Cup,maybe you guys can do better there.I believe Suriname is now in one group with Barbados-Netherlands Antilles and Cuba.

24. ja2ny

ja2ny Member

Aug 5, 2008
    long Island,N.Y.

I assure you el salvador will finnish last in this setup.;)

25. ja2ny

ja2ny Member

Aug 5, 2008
    long Island,N.Y.

You guys were home when Marlon King had that hat trick in San Salvador right? 3-0? ;)