Josh Wolff = Awful Penalty Taker

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by SamPierron, Apr 16, 2006.

1. Redfoot

Redfoot New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw the highlights on the FSW Report, from the angle they showed it looked like he placed it well and Thorton read it well.

2. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Yes, EJ actually did place it well if the keeper would have guessed the wrong way. But if my memory serves me, Thornton is a keeper that reacts rather than guesses. In that case Eddie needs to have done his homework and know that about the keeper he is facing. In which case he would have tried to knock the living hell out of the ball and Thornton would have never gotten close to the ball if he had put it in the outside 1/4 of either side.

3. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    He hit it with no power, terrible location, simply one of the worst PK's I've seen recently. Of course one PK doesn't mean a whole lot and he could bury his next 10. I think EJ's actually going to make a much better living drawing and not taking PK's in the long run.

4. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I musta completely missed that. Are any of these highlights online?

5. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There were highlights on FSW on Sunday night and it was a great save by Thorton on Nick's followup.

6. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    According to the quote sheet, Thornton's GK coach told him to go left so he went left.
    http://kc.wizards.mlsnet.com/MLS/ne...ntent_id=58440&vkey=pr_kcw&fext=.jsp&team=kcw

Well then, sounds like Nick is a little eager for a goal. He's had some good opportunities this year. I think we'll see his first sometime this summer.

7. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
  8. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

See right there is the problem, even if a guy tells the goalie which way you are going, you go the way you always go, you start thinking about it and trying to work against the keeper you are going to miss.

9. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Yeah... agreed. I just thought it was funny that Thornton said his GK coach told him to go left, and that Eddie said he normally goes to his left (Thornton's right).

10. Uppa 90

Uppa 90 Member

Jan 16, 2004
    K.C. MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think beating the crap out of the ball in any direction would have netted it...

11. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    My experience is that most strikers are horrible penalty takers.

They tend to overthink things. When they're playing in the game, it's reactions and instincts.