Josh Cohen at Maccabi Haifa

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Jul 19, 2019.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some highlights:

3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interest from Atlanta, who suddenly need a GK:

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Thought he was potentially looking at some European league.

6. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was gutted to see Guzan go down with his an Achilles tear. The video was of the injury and his reaction were hard to watch. I felt so bad for him. Sadly, his career could be over. Harsh but true.

With that hat said, Cohen would be an instant upgrade over Guzan. This would be a fantastic signing. I’ve been on record saying Cohen has played well enough for a USMNT look. Maybe a move to MLS can pave the way.

7. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Has he gotten Israeli citizenship?

Asking for a suddenly goalkeeper-deficient national team ....

Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm gonna answer twice since you put this in 2 threads.

He is an Israeli citizen (very easy for Jews to become citizens & why he was a hot commodity in Israel).

But he's still very eligible for the USMNT (and isn't eligible for Israel because he didn't live there 5 years).

9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He's considered the best keeper in the league, it seems, but it's the Israeli league. A very, very weak league. As in, their Champions (Cohen's team) didn't get past the First Qualifying Round of the Champions and was taken out by a club from Kazakhstan.

I'm not sure he's higher level than a decent MLS keeper.

10. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The Israeli league isn't very strong, about 3 Liga or League 1/Championship bottom financially, but it does produce a sprinkling of decent players for Top 5 bottom feeders and the better teams in Tier 2 leagues (Liege, Celtic, etc.).

As for Cohen, he's out of contract in June and is likely to be a back-to-back league champion, having been kept on by a coach with 5 league titles and a reputation for clearing out squads when he takes over. If, as seems likely, he decides to leave Israel he will have offers from Europe's Top 5 second divisions and UEFA ball sides from the second tier, so he's surely good enough for even a better MLS side.

11. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've had an eye on Cohen since his Sacramento Republic days and have tried the best I could to follow his progress at Maccabi Haifa. The dude can play regardless of the quality of the Israeli Premier League. Freakishly athletic. good command of his backline, quick off his line, solid distribution with his feet, and isn't shy about coming for crosses despite average height at 6'1". He is well above the average MLS GK. Is he a Andre Blake, Matt Turner, or Perdo Gallese probably not. But he's in the class of a present-day Stefan Frei, Ely Room, Sean Johnson and a William Yarbrough - who I watch every week and IMO is very underrated. Cohen reminds me is of a Luis Robles. That's the comparison I'd make.

12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    MLS is not known for great goalkeeping. When I say 'decent MLS goalkeeper' I mean the best of the lot.

13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's going to stay in Israel:

14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Really curious how he'd do in MLS and how it might reflect upon a league like Israel.

15. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rare chance to see Cohen on American TV. Cohen and Maccabi Haifa taken on Olympiakos in 1st Leg of the CL 2nd Round of Qualifying. Match is on Paramount+ 12:50 EST.

16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    What's the Israeli ranking by UEFA? Is it on par with many Eastern European leagues or leagues from the Balkans?

17. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maccabi down 1-0 in the 7th. Olympiakos player hit a rock shot off the inside bottom of Cohen's left hand post and it rebounded to an Olympiakos player to finish. On the replay Josh got his finger tips on the original shot pushing it off the post. Nothing Josh could do about either shot.

18. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Decent guess. Officially, it's ranked 22nd in Europe, but with Russia excluded for the foreseeable future (hopefully indefinitely) that bumps them up to 21st. Either way, the IPL is slightly above Sweden (yes, you read that correctly), then Bulgaria, Slovakia and Romania, and just below Czechia and Croatia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_coefficient#Men's_Association_coefficient

19. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HT 1-0 Olympiakos

Maccabi unlucky to be down at HT. They had two sweet goals disallowed - rightfully so - due to offsides. Close margins but the right calls. Game has been played a frenetic pace with lots of physicality. 5 yellows between the team. Tense match, for sure.

20. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fellow YA and Haitian international, Frantzdy Pierrot gets on the pich in the 60th minute for his debut for Maccabi Haifa. He promptly blows a great opportunity in by himself on goal. Oof. Not an easy finish but one you should finish.

felloveranddidanadu repped this.
  21. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ft 1-1

Maccabi earned a draw deep into stoppage time on a mishit cross that somehow magically found its way into the net. Maccabi definitely had the better of the play and deservedly got an equalizer. Two goals ruled out due to offside and several near misses. Olympaikos really unlucky not be going back to Athens down in the aggregate. Cohen played well when called upon but he was by far the less busy of the GK's. He's a solid GK that I wished got the recognition.

22. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I don't know why he hasn't started under Beerholder TBH.

The guy is actually, you know, playing, every weekend in fact, plus in UEFA midweek games as well. That's a level that's a bit above MLS or the Championship, to put it mildly, and no less than warming the bench in the Prem. @MHaifa1913 would be better informed, but I haven't seen anything that says he's been responsible for Haifa losing any of their UEFA games.

He's also won a championship medal or two in a very tight league, so he understands the pressure end of things. Call him up and give him a few starts. It's a no-brainer to me.

belyin, m vann and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  23. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You’re preaching to the crowd. I know. I might be a crowd of one though :)

I’ve posted a lot in this thread and have pounded the pavement for a look and see with the USMNT. I glad Cohen is continuing to get that CL experience but I was also a little bummer Atlanta couldn’t snag him. Easily accessible seeing him in MLS. The dude can play. There’s no question about it.

24. MHaifa1913

MHaifa1913 Moderator
    Staff Member

Metro
    United States
    Dec 21, 1998
    New York, NY, USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The top teams in Israel would be playoff teams in MLS. The rest of the league is bottom of MLS/USL quality. It’s easy to assume that with pro/rel, and random European competition that anyone playing well deserves a call up. But I personally believe that leagues such as Israel, Turkey, Scotland, Greece, Switzerland, and the Nordics are no better than MLS. So we shouldn’t be taking the Gyasi Zardes’s of Europe just because they play in Europe. They don’t improve the squad…just like Gyasi Zardes.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  25. belyin

belyin Member

Jun 1, 2006
    So, by this logic Cohen would be the equal of Johnson (and have Turner and Steffen really proven they are above the level of MLS playoff team?) I don't buy the "efficient market" theory that states the players always find their level in a defined hierarchy of leagues. Sure if this guy were a world beater he would be on a famous team, but plenty of good goalkeepers play for less fancied sides. (Ortega, Steffen's replacement at Man City, spent most of his career in the lower divisions before leading Arminia Bielefeld to Bundesliga promotion.) And right now, a good goalkeeper in form playing every match would be an upgrade for the USA.