Joseph "Joe" Scally at Borussia Monchengladbach

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Peretz48, Nov 13, 2019.

1. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pitch looks brutal! Old timey mud football in store. The Saarbrucken grounds keepers weep.. Oops, match was cancelled.

Casper repped this.
  2. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Match called off due to rain :(

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  3. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Damn American interventionism.

4. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scally starting on the bench against Darmstadt today. Compatriot P-Funk starts on the field.

glutton4Bolts repped this.
  5. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
  6. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    sports360 is Volker Struth's agency. He mainly reps German players. I've stopped trying to guess why players switch agents, because unless Mendes gets involved, it rarely results in a significant change in strategy.

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Its a weird thing.
    Scally and Reyna are reportedly good friends.
    Reyna leaves Wasserman and then Scally does too. Odd.

Probably just a change in strategy.

Wasserman has a lot of big, big clients.
    But when you look at their "top 50" clients in transfermarkt, not so many of them are in the Bundesliga. A few.

So if you want an agency with a Bundesliga focus, Wasserman may not be the top choice. Many, many English speaking clients (Britain and the US).

But who the hell knows? Sometimes I think this agency stuff is overanalyzed.

zlatan_but_a_car repped this.
  8. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    True coincidences are extremely rare, and when money is involved, still rarer.

9. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    I feel like there would be more to speculate about if his contract was up before 2027. But as such, he doesn't have leverage to look for a move, he's not negotiating a renewal, and the relationship between club and player seems pretty solid.

Maybe he wants to look for German brand deals? Most likely it's internal business... might be about language / connections like Clint speculated, or maybe his deal with Wasserman ended and Sport360 just offered to only take 5.5% instead of 6% of his next signing bonus. IDK.

10. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Sorry if I wasn’t clear enough. In my mind there is a 0% chance that Reyna’s leaving Wasserman and then Scally’s leaving relatively shortly thereafter is a coincidence.

The interesting question is why the change, and the answer seems a bit clearer in Reyna’s case (despite how that worked out).

11. sandcastle

sandcastle Member

NASL Cosmos
    United States
    May 26, 2020
    About a month ago, Diego29 was on the Straight Red Card YouTube channel to discuss Gio's agency switch. He stated that Dortmund started to explore loaning Gio to another BL team to get him playing time. Wasserman was essentially sitting on their hands waiting for something to happen, which triggered the Reyna's to seek representation that know club managers and could work the phones.

How likely is that Wasserman was behind that odd Matt Turner event where he used the middle of Nottingham pitch for an interview delayed until the middle of the practice week and hyped to other media outlets? Today's news worthy event leads to a reality TV show that Turners are participating in that starts airing on Amazon Prime on Feb 23, Married to the Game.
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/25415979/premier-league-wags-amazon-prime-jorginho-mahrez/

This may create a simple choice. If you have non-soccer aspirations, choose Wasserman. If you want to be a professional European soccer player, choose an agent with active relationships in this industry. If Wasserman puts in minimal time with Gio, how many lesser players that could/should want to Europe at 16 or 18 receive poor to minimal advice on finding a club?

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  12. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean I don’t think it’s accurate to say Wasserman doesn’t have active relationships in the industry given their client list.

https://www.transfermarkt.us/wasserman/beraterfirma/berater/440

Gio and Scally weren’t happy with their representation for whatever reason and switched, but that sort of thing happens all the time with agents.

sandcastle and zlatan_but_a_car repped this.
  13. sandcastle

sandcastle Member

NASL Cosmos
    United States
    May 26, 2020
    How much of their size is due to being the default agency for most new US professionals. Was Gio's agent that same as his dad?

US college sports have become similar to European football with a dizzying 'transfer' market for coaches and key players. US-based agents are very involved in this as there's a similar domino effect after the 1st piece moves. Gio and Scally went to Europe young, which could result in multiple contracts negotiated by a well compensated agent; an incentive for European agents to poach Americans. They've played for numerous coaches with some quoted in the Reyna loan articles. Wouldn't the players be better off with agents that work the phones and predict where the movement of coaches and players will end up?

The ESPN profile piece and media campaign for Turner seems to have little benefit for Nottingham. Their owner partners with Mendes on a Portugal club and has brought in Mendes coach to change their strategy and style. I don't think US players put too much time into thinking about their agents, but if Wasserman were oblivious to Nottingham's relationships, it could lead to players questioning if they agents can help their career.

This board has many posts that players need their agent to get to a better club situation. Perhaps, the weakness of this process has been the player's agent pool. Scally may be the best example of a player move as he went in the winter and integrated into II team. By the following season, he was giving interviews in German, starting for his club, and switching sides during matches. Moving to a German agency may be due he is now capable plus he's seem to quicker to adapt to achieve his professional objectives.

14. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have plenty of clients who are not American however.

I would also add that 29 isn’t someone who I consider to be a reliable source of information. I would be shocked if they weren’t working the phones and making zero effort.

I do imagine that it’s possible you can get less personal attention at a larger agency versus a smaller one. But it also remains to be seen if Gio’s move to Nottingham was even a good one.

As for Turner endorsements and other media opportunities are precisely the sorts of thing agents do.

For whatever reason Scally and Gio (who are best friends) were unhappy with their representation. I don’t know if there is anything more to read into than that.

sandcastle repped this.
  15. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Scally starts! Gladbach (T-13th) visiting RB Leipzig (5th)

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Out when they go down 2-0:

Pl@ymaker and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Goats lost at home so they're probably ok. If they go down (doubt it), they'd be one of the biggest scalps ever claimed by our Yanks Abroad.

18. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    #1893 TimB4Last, Feb 24, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2024
    "Today's kick-off has been delayed by ten minutes to 15:40 CET at the request of the police and after discussions with both clubs. This is due to issues with our visitors' travel to the ground."

Scally starts! Lanier is also starting and my schematic shows Lanier at RB, Scally at LB. Jordan Pefok also starts! Gladbach (15th) hosting Bochum (11th).

[​IMG]

mace, glutton4Bolts, DCU1984 and 2 others repped this.
  19. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Scally starts! Gladbach 12th) hosting FC Cologne (16th, of 18, facing the drop).

20. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pl@ymaker and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  21. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  22. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like it ended as a 2-1 loss.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  23. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    It did, from a 90'+3' winner. As a result, at least one of the finalists will be from the lower divisions (2x 2.liga clubs and Leverkusen join 3.liga Saarbrucken in the semis). Truly a wild Pokal this year!

BostonRed repped this.
  24. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Scally starts! Gladbach (12th) visiting Heidenheim (11th). Jordan Pefok also starts, Maloney is still out injured. Lanier is also starting, which must mean that Scally is playing LB.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  25. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Scally starts! Gladbach (T-12th) hosting Freiburg (T-8th).