Joseph "Joe" Scally at Borussia Monchengladbach

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Peretz48, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Nastrabrahmus

Nastrabrahmus Member+

Mar 29, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    I’d really love to be positive in a thread after watching a match but lately I’m choosing the wrong ones. Poor again from Scally today. Not at fault for the goal, but he just wasn’t able effective in this RWB role

2. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the comments about how the game went for him. He has been poor enough lately to worry about spending some time on the bench.

3. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    “But Scally was not benched.”

“That was the curious incident.”

Four players were subbed out at HT last week, down 3-0, three (including Scally) eventually receiving the dreaded (but apparently we’ll-deserved) 6 from Kicker, the fourth a 5.5.

A practiced observer might have predicted bench city for all four. And sure enough, today …

Friedrich - DNP
    N’goumou - Subbed in at 64’
    Plea - Subbed in at 64’

… but low and behold …

Scally - started and played 80’

Scally is not undroppable, but wow, what’s he gotta do to get benched?

Don’t answer that.

Bananenflanke and MayaDempsey repped this.
  4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    If Gladbach goes down it'll be one of the biggest scalps claimed by our YsA.

5. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    borderland, Maas drainage basin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    interesting, had exactly the same chain of thought when I saw the line up (which I didn't expect)

over here I usually tend to defend younger players who get criticized: and when some people are grousing that Scally often looks disoriented and without vigor in 1on1s I like to point out that Hütter a-n-d Farke a-n-d Seoane after all trusted him at least most of the time

but to be honest: Scally has a barren run for quite some time now (not that unusual for young players who get that much playing time)
    started already last season (don't think Lainer came in only for shopwindow-reasons)
    and the match yesterday (not bad from the team) certainly wasn't the turnaround

the good thing: Seoane presumably has a "we can manage him"-attitude (there is a remark regarding Netz f.e.) and more endurance/serenity with younger players than other coaches...
    for players like Scally, Reitz, Borges (and I hope Chiarodia) he most likely is the best coach available...

quirky fact: Gladbach has just 2 points but a lot of supporters think that the team is making steps in the right direction... let's hope they are right and Scally is benefitting from it

[sorry for the answer ;-)]

TimB4Last and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  6. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    borderland, Maas drainage basin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    what hasn't been sufficiently honored: Scally created a new, ambitious dance move against Leipzig
    watch here (at top): https://www.torfabrik.de/

acc. to BILD Lainer is probably signing a new contract in the next weeks

statements from U23 coach Polanski and head coach Seoane indicate that they potentially see Jacob Italiano (originally an offensive winger) as an option for RB
    the Australian joined Borussia very young in '18 already, was seen as a huge talent but never got started (partly due to some injuries)... is he able to swiftly challenge Scally? find it hard to believe (he's 22 already and barely has any experience on top level)... but what do I know...

7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    schrutebuck repped this.
  8. Allende72

Allende72 Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Nov 17, 2008
    Wilmington, NC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jazzy Altidore, Winoman and TimB4Last repped this.
  9. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    There aren't a lot of RBs in the world at Scallys age with his resume but still, he hasn't been pulling up any trees for awhile now. I'm surprised to read AC Milan is interested at this time.

Bananenflanke and Winoman repped this.
  10. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Two Americans at a club = more american rumors

tomásbernal repped this.
  11. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Still waiting his turn, Gladbach hosting Mainz today. :thumbsdown:

[​IMG]

12. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really thought Lainer's run of starts at the end of last season would have lit a fire under Scally's backside but he has been nowhere near as dynamic as he looked when he initially debuted. I know that FB is more of a supporting cast position but he has steadily become more and more of a role-player rather than a difference-maker. Perhaps some of it has to do with the change in coach/formation but at the same time I just see a ton of boring/safe touches and very little daring since about mid-season last year. I wonder how he is doing mentally. Has he lost his confidence? Still so young, but he was literally given the RB job this season again and appears to have already lost it.

13. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well... based on the new 3-5-2 formation they are running Gladbach have a natural RW playing RWB now in Honorat and he has been the talk of the 1st half. Serving a lot of dangerous crosses into the box... one of which was put home for a goal. So he has two assists in 6 games. Scally has zero in six. Honorat hasn't been asked to do too much WRT defending so I am not sure what it will look like against better competition. But when Gladbach are going to dominate possession it certainly seems like Honorat is a more natural offensive choice for the RWB position. Despite bossing the 1st half it is 1-1. The 19-year-old Gruda w/ quite a strike for Mainz (xG .02).

14. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Scally joining the fun in the 79th minute trailing 2-1.

15. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scally with the golazo 2-2 at 88’!

16. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    [​IMG]

mace, RunthePoint and BostonRed repped this.
  17. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://x.com/usmntonly/status/1710390052222595454?s=20

Nearly drew a penalty at the end there too. Was right at the line. Though if it was initially awarded, I bet it'd have been overturned bcuz Scally dragged his foot into the defender. Probably worked out that it was just a free kick.

Dervos repped this.
  18. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Awesome goal. He was so shocked he didn't know how to celebrate. :) All defenders really should practice goal celebrations like they do PKs.

19. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL. I feel like a negative jinx now. I even turned off the game when Jordan departed. Can't wait to watch the sub appearance. Some seriously needed positivity for Scally going into the Intl Break. Nice.

20. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    We'll try not to ask you too often to turn the game off - just when we really need a big goal.

MayaDempsey, chad and Dervos repped this.
  21. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    "In fact, Scally is the perfect hybrid modern full-back. At 6ft he is a size and build that wouldn’t have been considered normal for a full-back 15 years ago, but he still has the nimbleness of a more traditional occupant of the position. He has considerable attacking flair and an adventurous side yet is highly combative, winning more than 64% of his challenges last season. Only six players in the Bundesliga triumphed in more individual duels."

23. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I will go on record as saying I do not believe Scally will ever be the perfect anything. (Not really sold on his overall attacking/dribbling skills from the wide position in general. Not saying he's terrible, but I think he's pretty far from "super awesome" not to mention "perfect.")

24. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Well - you might have to clarify your scale for perfect and super awesome. I do think he’s young and can continue to grow in the position. I haven’t seen enough to have much of an opinion yet.

lmorin repped this.
  25. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I strongly assert my right to vague standards! I have not seen a ton of Scally either, but I have watched him a bit in the past year, both for club and country, and he does not show to me the kind of attacking instinct and holding/playmaking skills that a "perfect" or even "super-awesome" "hybrid FB" shows.

The Guardian article isn't super-exact about what they consider the "hybrid FB" but to me it is has been the kind of player who can play FB effectively and slide into an outside CB role in a 3 when the opposite side FB gets forward. JOB when he played LB for Ajax with Chivu was, to me, a "super-awesome hybrid FB" or at least "a pretty darn awesome hybrid FB" - a guy with midfielder's touch and vision, able to "QB" from the back line as a deeplying playermaker and also play as a LB/LM with great technique and defend well/smartly. What JOB lacked (aside from durability) was speed and maybe a bit of tackling ability relative to a guy like Scally, which made him somewhat less than perfect, but still really good.

I've yet to see Joe demonstrate the attacking vision that I associate with a "hybrid FB" - either as a deep-lying playmaker, an overlapping winger or even an inverted overlapping FB. He obviously has time to grow into all those roles and by no means is he bad, but when I think of defenders who are big assets in attack he's not high on my list yet.

dark knight repped this.