Joseph "Joe" Scally at Borussia Monchengladbach

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Peretz48, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    The story is to always go with the one that benefits our guy in our minds.

That or just make something up and attack the villain du jour in any way possible.

2. MayaDempsey

MayaDempsey Member+

Jul 29, 2014
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Just so I’m clear, the debate is what is the true meaning of playing time decisions by a coach that was recently fired?

3. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought we were talking about how tall he was

RossD, Jazzy Altidore and MayaDempsey repped this.
  4. MayaDempsey

MayaDempsey Member+

Jul 29, 2014
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    In all seriousness, he is much taller than I thought he’d be.

RossD and adi21 repped this.
  5. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    We have two competing narratives - Farke rotating squad vs Farke showcasing Lanier - but (as Brian outlined, above) only one narrative fits the facts.

Winoman repped this.
  6. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    borderland, Maas drainage basin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    training starts tomorrow, without Scally of course
    roster looks like a wreck right now (if you like disaster scenarios)
    jumpy media and supporters are already talking about relegation
    what shall I say? I l-o-v-e it!
    every beginning holds its own magic ;-) ...even if this means making two steps backwards first

Scally's frontman is gone
    could change a lot for Joe as the Scally-Hofmann-combination didn't gel very well
    replacement not signed yet, maybe the frenchmen Honorat (also Ngoumo is an option who is already there -physically- but struggling and of no bigger help defensively than H. I guess)
    but still no clue what style of play Seoane is implementing...

p.s.: also the Reyna-on-loan rumors are gaining momentum

7. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    What have I missed? Why "without Scally, of course?"

8. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe getting some extra time off due to Nations League participation?

9. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    That was the only thing I could think of, but I hadn't seen it reported.

10. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Not allowed to report until hair is color found in nature.

RossD, largegarlic, FC Tallavana and 9 others repped this.
  11. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Which never made much sense. At this stage in his career, Lanier is a well-known and thoroughly researched quantity for any club interested in bidding for him. The only questions for another FO are "is he really fit this time?" and "what's the price?"

The fitness side would have been answered by giving him 2-3 extended cameos. Starting him in the last 5 games of the season is something else: Farke wanted something that Scally wasn't giving.

12. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    like some other internationals: starts Sunday at the latest (I read)
    only goalie Omlin - escaping the total boredom of tropical beaches - came days early

freisland and TimB4Last repped this.
  13. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Hate the guy who shows up early making everyone else look bad.

14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    "I can just as easily spend hours standing around in the hot sun doing nothing in goal as I can here on the beach in St. Martin, and without all the distracting translucent-turning-red people in thongs and icky sand in my shorts!" - perfect keeper mentality

Bananenflanke repped this.
  15. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    frenchman Honorat most likely in tomorrow:

"New tasks will also await Gladbach's right-back. While under Farke both full-backs (Bensebaini and Scally/Lainer) usually provided the width to be able to play Plea and Hofmann inside, Honorat already is a width provider.
    With Honorat's commitment, it's no longer a secret that Scally or Lainer will now act with more responsibility in the remaining defense."

https://footballxplained.de/franck-honorat-borussias-neuzgang-in-der-analyse/

16. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Call Me Irresponsible! Joseph "Joe" Scally at Borussia Monchengladbach

Bananenflanke and Hobo repped this.
  17. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ordnung muss NICHT sein: Joe Scally playing fast and loose at Mönchengladbach

18. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    Stevie Lainer speaking:
    “The situation was indeed not satisfactory for me. Now the situation is different again. That's how fast it goes in football. As always, when a new coach comes, the cards are reshuffled. At the end of the day you have to face the competition, I'm basically ready for that. That's why I'm happy that it's starting again."
    "I've been at a top level physically since the winter break. It didn't go so smoothly then. But in the end I got a few more games and also played good games for me personally. That's why I'm very satisfied and happy. Now there is open competition – I will accept it.”

19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Started in friendly:

Borussia: Nicolas – Scally (46. Walde), Friedrich (64. Chiarodia), Itakura (46. Jantschke), Netz (46. Ullrich) – Reitz (46. Fraulo), Neuhaus (46. Weigl) – Ngoumou (46. Herrmann), Plea (46. Honorat), Hack (46. Borges Sanches, 79. Reitz) – Čvančara (46. Ranos) // Bank: Neutgens

They won 2-1.

Pl@ymaker, Winoman, abw and 1 other person repped this.
  20. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

21. Bananenflanke

Bananenflanke Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Faroe Islands
    first half (with Scally) of the Saarbrücken-match is here in full length:
    well it's nothing more than a prep match...

BILD has prove of Scally stamping Sauerkraut (or something like that) at Tegernsee training camp (where some of Putin's oligarchs own a mansion)
    https://www.bild.de/sport/fussball/...ueber-seinen-frisur-unfall-84804218.bild.html
    they also continue a loose rumor of Augsburg's supposed interest in Lainer (officially he is just sick with no additional explanations)
    but -in BILD's typical hyperintellectual fashion- most of the story is about Joe's hair, of course

musical training camp interlude:
    https://archive.org/details/78_in-e...chestra-jack-fulton-oscar-hammer_gbia0289172b

turns out Rheinische Post (RP) doesn't differ from BILD that much (although they certainly think they do) as they also open with the hellishly thrilling hair-topic
    https://rp-online.de/sport/fussball...will-mehr-in-die-offensive-gehen_aid-94364945
    but also:
    Gerardo Seoane is his third coach in his third year, and he also learned from the then U23 coach Heiko Vogel when he started in early 2021. "Seoane talks to us a lot, tells us what we can do better," Scally reported on the Swiss's ability to communicate. "He pushes us and knows what we're capable of." Last season there was the impression that the potential wasn't exhausted. Also with Scally. His approach for the coming season: he wants to play more holistically. [I hate this word]
    "In the first season I attacked a lot more, in the second I defended everything. One or the other assist was possible, I want to work on that again," he said.
    In Tomas Cvancara he now has a real target player for his crosses: "It's a new quality, I'll try to get as many balls into the box as possible."

given the fact that his new (contrary to his last) roommate Rocco Reitz does not snore in these crucial days I'm pretty sure we'll witness a hell of a season from Joe (ok, obviously reading these two incredibly contentful articles was contagious)

at least Weigl confirmed today that Seoane's plan is "playing more aggressively after winning the ball" (well that's not very challenging since we didn't play aggressively at all last season)
    I nevertheless interpret this as an usually short high pressing followed by a deeper defence (CB Friedrich f.e is slow) if not winning the ball immediately... and then counter-attacks, the style which made Gladbach famous in the seventies... and Seoane likes high speed action on the wings... so crossballs, Joe! more exhausting crossballs!

TimB4Last, freisland, Pl@ymaker and 2 others repped this.
  22. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    "BILD has prove of Scally stamping Sauerkraut (or something like that) at Tegernsee training camp (where some of Putin's oligarchs own a mansion)"

"Tegernsee - hosting pure evil since at least 1934"

Bananenflanke repped this.
  23. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, I was hosted at Tergernsee once. Pure evil was absent that day and a warm summer sun plus a lovely drink consisting of 2 parts still white wine and 1 part champagne with fresh peaches and strawberries chopped into it put me to sleep on the shore.

mace, felloveranddidanadu and Winoman repped this.
  24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Just don't partake of the area spa services...

25. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    does that story have a happy ending?

Winoman repped this.