Jose Mourinho is the best Manager in the World

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Roy Da Silva, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA
    [sarcasm]What? How dare you say that Monaco is not exactly a powerhouse. Next you're going to tell me that Once Caladas is not a powerhouse either.[/sarcasm]

2. PAUL SILVA

PAUL SILVA New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    You guys are deminishing his accomplishments. If he's not the best then who is? He's got Chelsea headed to a title and we all know what he did at Porto. I don't care who they play in the CL last season they would have won. This is because they were the best coached team. PERIOD.

3. Portista69

Portista69 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    London,Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Agree with u completely :cool:

4. ChopSoccerDude

Dec 3, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    He might not be the best manager in the world YET (although currently I honestly can't find a better one out there...), but he has got to be the best Portuguese coach ever. In a very short time he has won it all and is looking for new challenges in England (notice his comment about regarding the EPL Title higher than the Champions League because he has already won the CL before) .

5. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    If he's not the best, he's definitely one of the best. Chelsea has a shot at winning quite a few trophies this season: Premiership, FA Cup, Carling Cup, and the CL (shots at the Super Cup and WCC if they win). So lots of chances for glory for that London side. At the end of the season, we will know just how good he is.

6. Ricardo76

Ricardo76 New Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Lisboa
    Very true. One year ago, Carlos Queirós was also on top of the Wold! Real had just wan in Barcelona for the second time in over 20 years, leading La Liga, Copa del Rey Finalist, leading CL group, good football, etc . Anything can happen until the end of the season. Let's hope he can deliver.

7. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    mourinho has a formula hes sticking to it and so far its been working. everybody is saying this and that the guys obviously is a smart guy top of the division arguably every player on the team contributes and roman imbramvich is making alot of profit and is happy. so as along as their winning people cant stop talking ill be firstpress to say this they will win the fa cup and more trophies cause arguably they are the best hardworking team in the epl period. bravo jose! :)

8. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    First of All this myth that the EPL is the best league is just not true. (IMO)

If you look back over the last couple of years, the EPL Teams have not done well in UEFA Cup or the CL. The lone exception being Man U 1n 1999.

While they play an exciting brand of attacking football, it is not the best technically. That would have to be either La Liga or Serie A.

You could probably fit them in 3rd.

And Like A wrote in my previous post, lets see what Mourinho does this year before we crown him the best Portuguese Coach or whatever other crown you wish to give him. Have we forgotten Bela Guttman and Otto Gloria?

9. ChopSoccerDude

Dec 3, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Have we forgotten Bela Guttman and Otto Gloria? None of these Portuguese!Which Portuguese coach can claim winning 2 European Titles (UEFA Cup and Champions League) and specially won in consecutive years? Like him or not he's got the resume to prove he's the best Portugal ever had...

10. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Bella Guttman was the best coach ever to coach in Portugal, he could won for the III time if he stayed for another year, with the national team OTTO GLORIA was the best ever, he took Portugal to a III place finish in the WC 66, he also coach Benfica, Porto, and other portuguese teams with success, his mustache was also better look then Scolari :)

11. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Apparently you have.:)

[/QUOTE]None of these Portuguese!Which Portuguese coach can claim winning 2 European Titles (UEFA Cup and Champions League) and specially won in consecutive years?...[/QUOTE]
    I don't believe this thread was title "Best Portuguese Coach"

Like him or not he's got the resume to prove he's the best Portugal ever had...[/QUOTE]
    Really, when did he coached the National team? You should rephrase, best coach Porto ever had.:)

Look I am just not a fan of Mourinho, I am not knocking his accomplishments. I am just looking for him to show a bit of humility.

I am going to love when he goes through some rough times,(you know it will happen) he is going to lose it. I hope he is enjoying himself now because due to his large ego the press is going to kill him.

12. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

13. Roy Da Silva

Roy Da Silva New Member

Sep 24, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Here is a fact in 2004 between Porto and Chelsea he lost a grand total of 5 games. That is very impressive.

14. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    the guy is a workhorse he stratigizes and knows futbal more then anybody else. winning is a hard job epecially if you have talent look at real madrid alot of talent but the coaching is lacking intelligence. jm is a very smart smart rich man. peace

15. CRonaldo_07

CRonaldo_07 New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    I want mourinho to coach the national team :(

16. _DvA_

_DvA_ New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Almada, Portugal
    I Want it too ;)

17. Portoholic

Portoholic New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think he said he will coach the NT once he's in his 60's. :)
    Imagine how many titles at club level he will have amassed by then. His obsession will then be to win the Euro and World Cup.

18. ChopSoccerDude

Dec 3, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    ...and if anybody could do it w/ Portugal, he can!

19. Portoholic

Portoholic New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I just pray he never decides to coach the English NT some day. You know how some guys get when they start to make a living in England. They turn.

20. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I find that very funny, this guy has such a big ego. He thinks he will still be in demand 20 yrs later. Once the money runs out for Chelski, then we will find out what kind of coach he is.

On the other hand SAF has always had a keen knack of letting young players develop. I would like to see Mourinho do the same, then we can consider him the greatest coach ever.

While I write that, I also think about Real Madrid and all that talent. No one has been able to get them all together over the past couple of years. Have the aging stars faded or are the coaches they have hired not been able to mesh all those "Galacticos" together?

21. PAUL SILVA

PAUL SILVA New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    On Madrid...it's just a case of too many individualistic superstars. That formula rarely works. But of course, if there is one man that can step in and change that team around, it's the mighty mourinho... ;)

22. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Looks like Roy is out to make another monster thread. Although the one to watch out for is Viva' "Guess who" at that pace it will be closed in 2 weeks.

23. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Mourinho revealed that Liverpool officials wanted to meet him before he left Porto:

The Portuguese manager moved to Chelsea after winning the Champions League with Porto but has now revealed that the London club were not the only ones interested in securing his services.

Mourinho claims that Liverpool invited him to a meeting before Porto's European match with Manchester United, but that he turned them down in order to concentrate on the game.

"I was invited to meet Liverpool's representatives on the eve of Porto's Champions League game at Manchester United in March," he said.

"But I was preparing for a crucial match and wasn't prepared to leave the hotel to meet another club."

Liverpool were looking for a manager to replace Gerard Houllier at the time and eventually appointed former Valencia boss Rafael Benitez.

Mourinho moved to Chelsea during the summer after intense speculation linking him with the job as a replacement for Claudio Ranieri.

He has guided his new side through to the last 16 stage of the Champions League and to the top of the Premiership – five points ahead of Arsenal at the turn of the year.

http://www.dehavilland.co.uk/webhos...=8&filterid=345221&searchid=234672&category=3

I think he made the right decision ;)

24. Filho do Dragão

Filho do Dragão New Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Uma Nação
    He's a pretty smart and gutsy individual. I have to admire him for taking on a tough task and not taking the easy way. Anybody who wants to work for Abramovich is either a genius or crazy.

25. Roy Da Silva

Roy Da Silva New Member

Sep 24, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    He has a tough 2 games ahead of him with Liverpool and Middlesbrough. If they can come out of it with a 3 pt lead then i think Chealsea will win the title. Do you guys ever notice when he does a interview in his wicked English and they ask him if he thinks is team will win a particular game. He always answers the same way every time

" It will be tough" "I think we can do it" "I know we can do it"