Jose Adolfo Valencia

Discussion in 'Portland Timbers' started by netsfan549, Dec 1, 2011.

1. netsfan549

netsfan549 Member

Aug 31, 2007
    How come I haven't seen anything about him? I was watching him play for the U20 World Cup this guy is a beast!! I'm glad he's coming to MLS

2. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "How come" as in speculation or "How come" as in not on BS?

Second goal.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duON5Ong9Tg&t=38s"]Colombia vs Mexico (2-1) Torneo Esperanzas de Toulon 2011 - Semifinal - YouTube[/ame]

3. Chupacerveza

Chupacerveza Member

Dec 12, 2010
    The 'Berg
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The guy looks pretty good, but I hope that we continue to look for help from within the league for a solid distributor for our forwards. That might be bit much to expect from a 20 yr old. And our forwards appear to require good service to be effective as they are clearly not born playmakers.

4. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    Love this signing in principle -- young guy with big upside who hopefully can step in and start right away. He looks like a beast. We'll see how he does on the field.

Next step: shore up the situation in the back back situation (I think we need an upgrade at right back and a beastly starting centerback), and maybe one more starting winger who has a proven record of putting the ball in the back of the net. Then work on building depth all over the field.

5. EstebanLugo

EstebanLugo Member

Mar 18, 2007
    N of your DB
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Respuesta: Re: Jose Adolfo Valencia

In case anybody doesn't know, he's the son of former Metrostars goalscorer Adolfo "el tren" Valencia, hence his nickname "el trencito".

6. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Respuesta: Re: Jose Adolfo Valencia

Thanks!

When Merritt Paulson, Timbers owner, teased us with a tweet he said the player has a pedigree. No doubt this applies to el Trencito, the son of the man who scored in the US-Colombia match in WC 1994, not the OG naturally because El Tren played for the NY/NJ Metrostars.

7. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone have any real updates on El Trencito's injury situation? Everything I'm reading coming from the front office sounds really disconcerting--the way they talk it's like they found out his leg might fall off or something.

8. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wednesday will maybe be some news. Merritt tweets.

10. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But this is weird thing--that they keep saying things like "We need to do very detailed medicals before signing a player..." But as far I can tell he's definitely been signed. Any chance that I missed that his signing was contingent on passing these further medical tests? Looking forward to hearing what's up on Wednesday.

11. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course they have contract clauses allowing an out after medical exams. It is too costly to send your own doctors abroad to check up on a fella.

MP spoke to Extra Time podcast and said he looks at Trencito as a long term project, so if they've found something wrong now, it doesn't mean they will certainly dump him. But he did confirm they're in talks with his former club which means they're probably renegotiating the contract details.

12. onusx

onusx Member

Aug 6, 2003
    portland
    drug rumors?

13. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So here's the scoop on El Trencito Valencia: ********ed up knee. He'll be out 6-12 months, and I'm gonna venture to guess it'll be more likely the latter. The terms of his loan contract have been amended. He won't take up a international roster spot and won't count as a Young DP either. Sounds like the club still see him as the future.

http://www.portlandtimbers.com/news/2012/02/jose-adolfo-valencia-undergo-knee-surgery