Jorge Jesus - Benfica coach

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Joe Martelo, Jul 17, 2020.

1. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    I’m surprised not much discussion about this. Jorge Jesus has officially returned to Benfica.

my contacts in Portugal tipped me off that Barcelona swooped in late to try and sign him, but Benfica remained persistent and closed the deal.

I am surprised hardly any benfiquistas are speaking about this major event on this forum. There was some mention of it in the sporting board. Interesting how the forum of benfica , the biggest club in Portugal , is dead on here, but the forum of a much smaller club Sporting is quite active. I really respect many of the sporting posters on here because of their loyalty and commitment to discussing football even though they support a team known for perpetual failure at senior level.

2. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Most Benfiquistas are so used to winning that we do not have much to talk about anymore on here since we are desensitized to being campeaos. Sportinguistas do not have much to celebrate, so each year they are more and more hopeful that this finally may be the year. For us its just expected we win, and if we do not then oh well most likely we will win next year.

Benfica fans also do not live in delusions of fake scandals. Most Sportinguistas just talk about made up scandals that do not exist to try to discredit Benfica's victories. Im sure many of us grew tired about hearing about some corner kick that Benfica should not have received in 2008 against Maritimo

Its great to have the master Jorge Jesus back. The best Portuguese coach at the moment. Shows what a big club we are that he left a powerhouse in Flamengo where he could have easily won everything again, but instead opted to rejoin one of the biggest clubs in the world despite us being in a bad state. He will get 50 miillion transfer budget so i am pretty sure he will get us back to dominating

3. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    Sporting needs to bring back BDC he was a good leader for them.

4. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Fans of any sport who arent glory hunters are absolute cunts tbh. Support a team who will win and then when that team loses, chose another team. Only way to live.

Personally, I am a die hard Real Madrid, Bayern, Juventus, and PSG fan. I used to love Man City, but now I am wholly behind Liverpool.

SCP_16 repped this.
  5. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Yea I'm a huge Yankees fan. Lifelong. Not to mention a diehard Patriots fan, but have a soft spot for the Chiefs.

6. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Glad we found some common ground. I recommend supporting the Leafs when the nhl season resumes. The superstars will be well rested and home advantage = campeao

7. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    Benfica will sign Cavani
    They are going all-in. I would prefer if they focused more on their youth, they have such great youth coming up.

8. grassman

grassman Member

May 18, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The second coming of Jesus! Next season is already in the bag, Now it's just a matter of how much shit Benfica will win and how far they will go in Europe.

9. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    The goal is to win champions league. With the new Covid -19 football economy, the gap between the big clubs of Portugal such as SLB and FCP, and the top European clubs should close a little bit.

I can see Benfica under Jorge Jesus reaching a CL final in the next 2-3 seasons, and hopefully they will win it this time after 5 previous defeats in the final since 1961/62 season .

SCP if they hold onto their youth may become a big club again but you can see Joelson is already going to leave for Arsenal.

10. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Benfica will for sure do better now in cl. Jorge Jesus is the master and seems to break records almost everywhere he goes.

- highest point total of all time for Sporting
    - numerous league wins froth Benfica. Built such a great team at benfica that even a gym teacher was able to takeover and win leagues.
    - owning all of South America in one season

Does very good wherever he goes. Could have even won a league with sporting if not for Ruiz choking.

Joe Martelo repped this.
  11. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    Jorge Jesus is reportedly looking to sign Ruben Semedo from Olympiakos.

If you recall, Semedo looked promising under Jesus at Sporting before he ran into those legal issues. Would be a great signing imo , and he would develop more under JJ.

12. grassman

grassman Member

May 18, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Presentation was today,

"I was offered 4 years but said no I want to win everything in 1 season." Accepted a 2 year contract
    "Benfica has the money now to win in Europe."
    "The objective is to win international titles"

Ruben Dias was at the press conference so I think its safe to say he stays this coming season.

13. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Lmfao. These clowns put a Europa League final plaque for his presentation?!?! That's a joke right?

"Here's a reminder that you failed in Europe twice"

What a massive accomplishment!!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

received_717419925651120.jpeg

14. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    My contacts are confident ruben Dias will say unless an offer that benfica cannot refuse comes in. With the covid-19 market, there aren’t too many clubs able or willing to pay a high sum of money for a defender from benfica.

Benfica certainly can compete for Champions league or Europa league next season with Jorge Jesus. Especially if they sign Cavani and Ruben Semedo. My contacts also believe Jorge Jesus will give Jota a bigger role and promote Goncalo Ramos and call back Diogo Goncalves.

Florentino is said to be excited to play under Jesus, who was able to get the best out of Javi Garcia, Matic, and William Carvalho (Sporting). Jesus is really good at developing young players, especially defensive midfielders.

Season 20-21 will be intriguing , conceicao vs Jesus - the master motivator against Jorge Jesus and we all know what he brings.

Also, Carlos carvalhal at braga and Tiago at guimaraes will be good to see.

season predictions for next season:

top 5

1. S.L. Benfica
    2. FC Porto (it will be close!)
    3. SC Braga
    4. Vitoria S.C. Guimaraes
    5. Rio Ave

Yes, I don’t see Sporting finishing in the top 5 but if they hold
    Onto their gems and give Amorim a chance they can make top 3 again by season 2022-2023.

15. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Ruben Semedo to Benfica. Will probaly end up being the third choice cb since Benfica will most likely sign one of Verissimo, Koch or Cuesca

Joe Martelo repped this.
  16. grassman

grassman Member

May 18, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  17. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    My contacts were correct about Semedo. Jorge Jesus will get the best out of him .

18. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    My contacts are saying Cavani is really close to joining

19. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Hahaha there still another 40 years or so of the curse Still to run b4 they win anything in Europe hahaha

20. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    Curses are a load of baloney.
    A couple of years ago, I cut a player off the team that I was coaching. His mom then claimed she put some weird Indian curse on me and said we wouldn’t win anything . What happened ? We became champions.

grassman repped this.
  21. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    The Other night I had a vague dream that Jorge Jesus was coaching Portugal and I saw portugal players holding a golden trophy, which I took as being symbolic of the World Cup. The only specific players I could recall were Joao Felix and Rafael Leao.

I also remember that in my dream, I met up with Jorge Jesus before the game For lunch, and provided him with my tactical Analysis and he listened to me and that I was on the bench during the game giving him advice .

Dreams are strange, but I spoke to a psychic that I see, she gave me good advice after my recent divorce. She interpreted my dream and says that it could mean that Jorge Jesus will coach Portugal to win a tournament, likely the World Cup in 2026 since he would have been meeting with me here in North America. She says it could mean that I would play a role in helping him with my coaching !

she also forecasts a big opportunity for me in 2021, I am hoping that means I get a job with a portuguese club and perhaps maybe that will
    Be how I end up crossing paths with Jorge Jesus?

who knows , the world is strange. I have had and experienced premonitions before and believe in some supernatural things.

JoseEmidio and grassman repped this.
  22. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    tell me how many European finals benfica have been in since the curse was placed

23. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    Football history isn’t my thing I’m more into youth players. I checked Wikipedia and I see they’ve been to 5 European cup or champions league finals and 3 Uefa cup finals since.

One of my contacts is able to answer such questions with His eyes closed without internet. I prefer to focus on grassroots and development of the game.

24. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    lost 8 finals since the curse with another 40 years to go

25. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    Jorge Jesus will win the next one, he is that good ! They are making big investments. It will be exciting for Portuguese football.