Jorge Carrascal

Discussion in 'Colombians Abroad' started by Froboy69, May 3, 2016.

1. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    You're ignoring what I'm saying to defend a player you like. A criticism against a player you like is not a criticism against you.

He has a problem that's been going on for years that has nothing to do with the players around him. The dude does not try to get open. He only runs when he has the ball. (These are things you obviously will never see in a highlight video. And I NEVER rely on a highlight video to make a judgement of a player. I watch the actual games.)

His major problem is a result of either being too passive, too lazy, too poorly conditioned, or too unintelligent to recognize how to adapt to the game at hand. I have my theories on which of those factors are at play.

And I do not dislike the player. Once again, look through this thread from the start. I was the only one following him when he was playing in the Ukraine. I'm quite disapointed with the lack of evolution in his game over the past 5 years as I've had very high hopes for him.

locoxriver repped this.
  2. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I also watched the match and he have a lot of to improve...and im not ignoring what you say or defending him....

But i cant agree with all that rush words for a 30 minutes display wheere he only contributed with danger and elaborating some chances ...

Also there is a fashion to scape goat him.

I also watched the real games and i watched this one, so i cant agree with all you say.

3. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I want all our players to be the Colombian Ronaldo and Messi.

this kid just has the worst parts of James, Cardona and Quintero without the talent.

hope he turns shit around but he has probably the best coach in South America. If he can’t fix him nothing does

4. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Sugar is gonna spit out his coffee when he reads this:

River Plate is such a strong shop window. It's remarkable - it makes you wonder how Quintero ended up in China considering what he accomplished there...

HomietheClown repped this.
  5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I hope and pray Atalanta picks up this kid and uses him like the used Papu Gomez.

Injuries and just no stamina for playing whole matches hurt JuanFer more than anything, There was a long stretch there he was only really a sub.

pepinointer repped this.
  6. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    Who's scapegoating him? I didn't even mention the score of the match. River's success doesn't matter to me; Carrascal and other Colombian's success does.

I'm not surprised clubs are interested him. He played very well in the 2nd half of 2020, and that included late-stage Libertadores match. The rumors of Italian interest popped up a year earlier when he had a great first round at the preolimpico.

If it happens now as opposed to when he was in form, I think it'd be a bit strange. But, then again, the European clubs prefer to buy in the summer winow.

In a way, the Italian game might convene him much more than Argentina's does. With the pace slowed down and more space given to attackers, he'd probably do better.

That said, his lack of urgency may really rub European coaches the wrong way...

7. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Quintero probably wanted crazy wages that’s why he is in China.

8. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    JuanFer had an advanced age for Europe... hardly ever do you see European teams buying 27/28 year olds from South America. Actually, I can't even recall a single case, especially for someone who essentially had already flopped in Europe.

Maybe if they gave him away for $2M there would have been offers, but for $6-10M there isn't any resale value. With Carrascal (despite being a much lesser player) you have the opportunity of flipping the investment and coming out with a profit if he has one good season in Italy or Spain.

Plus, Quintero himself was the one that pushed for the China move... apparently he was already close friends with the owner of the club long before the transfer happened, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's the one who in a way forced initiated negotiations.

9. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    teofilo gutierrez signed for Sporting when he was like 29 or something

10. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah, and that transfer was done for like $3M if I remember correctly.....

11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Did not watch the match but heard he had a Golazo that was negated due to a hand ball.

It was the right call but a very unfortunate bounce.

12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Saw the whole match on my DVR from last night.

There's some good and bad and ugly from his play. But mostly pretty good in my eyes. Yes some of his passes are sloppy and his decisions are questionable. And I can see people saying he just looks a bit out of it sometimes with his body language.

But I will say what I said a few posts before. He is in better shape than Cardona.
    If James or JuanFer are not available this fall for Rueda and this guy continues to get playing time and gains confidence I would not mind him being called up at all instead of Edwin.
    But that is just my humble opinion.

13. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    It was a very Carrascal performance. It definitely wasn't his worst game, but I thought he was River's worst player on the pitch. It sucks that the gol didn't count; it could've turned things around for him.

I think there should always be at least one creative guy on the roster. Cardona was in no shape to be called for the Copa.

Could it have been Carrascal there instead? Maybe. I'll take Campaz and Santiago Moreno over him any day. All 3 kind of have the same profile; talented and pacey kids who most coaches would put as wingers in the modern game, but have solid vision to play 10.

I'd even consider Jarlan before Carrascal at the moment.

14. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Considering he is playing for River in a better League though I think that may give him an edge. Plus getting minutes in the Libertadores.

15. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    If he was starting, definitely. But he's only ever been a starter for about three months at the end of 2020 and into 2021.

Campaz and Moreno started and played nearly every minute in their team's Libertadores and Sudamericana runs. Campaz was undoubtedly Tolima's best player, while Moreno was only 2nd to Vergara.

Carrascal absolutely deserved a first call up with the form he had a few months ago. He does not deserve a first call up right now.

16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #266 HomietheClown, Jul 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    Well, the callup is not right now. It is in September.
    Campaz I think can be called up with him.

And as you alluded to in the Moreno thread him going to Portland may not help him get called any time soon.

Vergara in Mexico though may have a chance if he plays well though.

17. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    Wait, you're talking about who'll actually be called??

Nah, Carrascal has no shot. Unless River makes it to the final and Carrascal dominates, there's no way Rueda is calling Carrascal.

Valoyes and Carbonero have been far more consistent in the same league and play more strictly as wingers, which is the system Rueda is mainly using.

Moreover, we've seen the depth chart through call ups. Chara, Campaz, Andrade, and Cristian Arango were all considered as the replacement 10s...Moreno was part of the microciclo.

There's been no whiff of Carrascal whatsoever, and he has the benefit of playing on the same team as Borre, who Rueda must've scouted.

You can certainly make a case that Carrascal should be called for the good of the NT in the long run. He's done NOTHING to illustrate that he's in RUEDA'S plans and he's not doing anything these days that would change Rueda's mind.

18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I am talking about who I would want to be called , who can play the Cardona position, what can happen in two months and the players available.

I would call up Carrascal and if he improves I would rather he be called than Cardona.

If he plays with confidence and improves for River in the next couple of months that is what I would do.

I am not in Rueda's mind and I do not know who is even on his radar so you can be right on that. I just personally think Carrascal fits into the mold more of what Cardona provides more than the others who are more like true wingers.

19. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    What can happen in two months...

If we're going that route, if Yaser Asprilla scores and assists in every game for Envigado in the next two months I would call him and groom the next international star.

I want Kevin Agudelo to be a full time starter in that same position in Serie A, so that he can be called.

Moreover, I want James to be in form with a cured calf and China's COVID protocols to be dropped so that Quintero will be there, too.

I want a lot of things to go perfectly in the next two months so that we win every upcoming qualifier.

I don't think anybody wouldn't want Carrascal to play to the potential we all know he has. He can easily be an NT player IF things go right.

With that out of the way, I'll go back to reality and say that Carrascal is not and hasn't been in the form to merit a first call up over other players whether you look at him as a 10 or a winger.

20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    That is your take.

My take is that #10s in James and JuanFer were supposed to be a part of Rueda's squad and they both could not be a part of it.
    He called someone who has similar #10 skills like Cardona to be a replacement. I think Carrascal is a better alternative at the creative #10 position than Cardona.
    Assuming he gets confidence, Gallardo shows confidence in him I would want to see him called instead of Cardona if James and JuanFer are not on the team in September. If Both of those guys are available I would see no need to call up Carrascal. Heck even if it is just James available which is never a given in reality.

21. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    That thinking is what results in us seeing Yimmi Chara playing significant minutes in a Copa America.

James, Quintero, and Cardona are not reliable to stay in shape year-round. Whoever the next 10 is/are going to be, they need to start getting groomed now.

If you think that's Carrascal, cool. I wouldn't start integrating a player who's just as unreliable to be in form as James, Quintero, and Cardona are, especially when that inconsistency, on the other hand, has nothing to do with injuries and fitness...

22. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #272 HomietheClown, Jul 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    What results in us seeing Chara is he trusted him and he knows his tactics and is role.

There's not much time to groom. There's only time to work with what you have available. There's no friendlies to experiment in.
    James, JuanFer and Cardona are what we obviously have to rely upon.

I think it can also be Carrascal if he continues to improve the next couple of months in both the Argentine League matches and the Libertadores. If Gallardo shows confidence in him then there is a chance he can improve.

What Rueda does and who he goes with is totally up to him and can be another route of course.
    I am just personally saying I think Carrascal is more logical at that creative spot given the circumstances and other options.

23. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I have a bad feeling Carrascal (right now) will have this whole forum throwing things at our tv if called up...

The talent is there but I have a great lingering fear that this kid would lose his head when we need him most - just like he did to Gallardo...

24. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    never been a fan of this guy

25. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That was probably his best performance in the last year. Not that he was magnificent (not even close), but at least he played decent vs. Argentinos... all the other games he makes you want to cut your head off