Jordan Morris at Swansea (fricking on fricking loan)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Jan 5, 2016.

1. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They were 16, which is how old Morris would’ve been if he’d moved to Europe 10 years ago.

It’s a weird argument. I don’t think Morris was a big prospect at 16. I don’t think he has a Euro passport which would allow him to go over there at a young age.

I think Morris is one of the few US cases where playing in MLS in your mid 20s was clearly just as beneficial as playing in most Euro leagues. He’s improved every year, and now hopefully will improve even more with this Swansea move

Mahtzo1, tomásbernal and gogorath repped this.
  2. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    If the loan goes well and a deal can be reached I think he’ll want to stay at Swansea full time. I doubt he’s interested in using Swansea as a jumping board to what most fans would consider a more attractive club in Europe.

3. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's on a big chunk of change with Seattle, over a million right? I wonder if Swansea would ever offer him more than that.

FC Tallavana repped this.
  4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I could have sworn someone posted recently he was more around 700 K.

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  5. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the 2019 guide https://mlsplayers.org/resources/salary-guide; base is $500k, guaranteed is $619k -- a lot less than i thought obviously. For some reason the number $1mil stuck in my head with regards to Morris. With USMNT appearances and endorsements he's probably close to or surpassing that number though. Average salary in the Championship is pretty high though, right? Especially for an upper tier team like Swansea. They might be getting a hell of a bargain if they're just covering 6 months worth of the $619k!

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  6. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe this year he bumps up to $850k and the final year is just north of $1M annual.

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who could get European passports.

8. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He didn't exactly fail with Wolfsburg before MLS. He had a career over here if that had been his choice. I think we underestimate how important the existence and success of MLS has been to a lot of US and Canadian players. I think Morris is included in this group. MLS isn't a sign of weakness, it's a sign of strength of commitment to the game.

russ and Mahtzo1 repped this.
  9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Not saying his MLS stats didn't help but his 2002 form is probably what sealed the deal or at least helped through a spotlight on his MLS form.

10. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here he comes! 83rd minute.

12. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Swans saw out a 3-1 lead. Morris did alright in limited opportunity & in a non offensive situation. Had a nice chest down for his 1st touch. A couple half opportunities to extend the lead, i.e.: winning a ball off a corner to a teammate who forced a save & another corner. Also tried to first touch a ball and then run behind the d but couldn't get there first. That was about it in the 10 minutes.

13. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
  14. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing much here.

15. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    If this is true,, you domt seem like much of a usmnt fan.... i have often suspected as much.

This statement does seem pretty odd given the amounting posting you do in this forum. Maybe you are just a troll???

16. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm a national team fan (men's and women's), but it's not the be-all end-all for me. I post about soccer I watch, pretty simple concept. Some teams and players I'm more attached to than others. Seattle has been one of my favorite clubs to watch since they entered MLS, hence my particular interest in Morris.

So, no, not a troll. I leave that role to Bigsoccer's bs artists.

Mahtzo1 and bshredder repped this.
  17. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Ok...so... in true YA fashion.. what Swans players are we supposed to hate on?

TarHeels17, russ, mschofield and 5 others repped this.
  18. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1068 ChrisSSBB, Jan 30, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
    You know the drill...

19. Android Cat

Android Cat Member+

Sep 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got a feeling that, barring injuries, Jordan is just going to get garbage minutes all loan long.

Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  20. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Swansea has 20 league matches to play over the next 97 days, including the March international break. I think you're being too pessimistic, just from a fixture congestion point of view.

I think you're being way too pessimistic from a talent point of view. As someone who shit on Morris for years for being too one-dimensional and extraordinarily one-footed, he may be Swansea's best player.

WheezingUSASupport and USSoccerNova repped this.
  21. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    welsh message board of jordan’s debut:

yyyyyyyydwyyyydwwwwwwyddddwwyyy

22. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah but they are playing very well right now and may not need to change it up with a new attacker.

23. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that good or bad?

Winoman repped this.
  24. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep in mind that this isn't a regular loan situation. It's a loan with an option to buy, and Swansea seems really excited to get Morris in. They want him to work out for them so they can improve their squad for next season in the EPL (that's their hope and calculus I imagine).

They gave him a short run in the first game he was reasonably expected to be ready for. He might not jump right into a starting spot if the team is playing well, but if he does well in the minutes he gets (he will get plenty of minutes) then he could break into the 11 anyway. When a player comes into a top team playing well they rarely displace a starter immediately.

25. Android Cat

Android Cat Member+

Sep 16, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh huh, and my comment was devoid of any and all mention of Morris' talent.

Not everyone that gets loaned out possesses a divine right to play heaps of minutes. If Swansea's current personnel (barring Morris) continue to get the job done while incurring no major injury/suspension issues, then yes - I could see Morris keeping the bench warm a lot. But, if Morris is good enough to push a current Swansea player out of his position, well then. Not to mention, not all coaches are created equal from a "competence" point of view, so...