Jonathon Woodgate

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Doctor Stamen, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    I'm interested to know if Woodgate is gaining a cult following amongst the Real fans because of his hapless career at the club to date ?. Do you love him like the Man Utd fans loved Diego Forlan, or do you see him as a waste of space who dirties the club's shirt ?.

2. Madridi

Madridi Member

Sep 15, 2005
    The 971
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I like him despite the fact that he hasn't done well in his few starts, I think he is a great asset to the team and this Wednsdays game he will prove what he is capable of doing. I defenetly think he's better than R.Bravo and/or Pavon so no I dont see him as a "waste of space who dirties the club's shirt" but I do like that expression though ;)

3. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    A random fact for you. Did you know that Leeds Utd, a former club of Jonothan's, used to play in white shirts/blue shorts, but their legenadry manager in the 1970's, Don Revie changed it to all white, so Leeds looked more like Real Madrid, and thus be more intimidating ?.

4. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    We've had worse defenders. Pavon is worse. Ivan Campo.. lord, was he bad.

5. mauritz

mauritz New Member

Jun 9, 2005
    Jönköping, Sweden
    hehe, word up! :cool:

6. Tom_Bombadil

Tom_Bombadil New Member

Jul 31, 2005
    I knew it, and that speaks of the greatness of our club and of the beauty of football.

7. nuff_said

nuff_said Member

Jul 25, 2005
    BigSoccer - RM Forum
    I'll give my opinion on Woody after the Rosenborg match.. So far, I like him

despite 2 own goals... Like guti said, woody could be the top scorer of RM.

8. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    haha i think we really expect so much of him that there almost is a cult following. Its been pretty bad so far, but he's gonna be good guys, he really is.

9. galactico(12)

galactico(12) New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    he's a decent defender once he gets his confidence up. But i dont think he's 'all that' anyway. There are lots of better defenders RM could have bought for £15 Million.

10. Revelian

Revelian Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Midgar
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I reckon the fact that Woodgate has actually made an effort to speak the language stands him in good stead with the fans. However, he can't ******** up forever. Eventually, he will have to be judged the same as the other Real players.

Revelian

11. galactico(12)

galactico(12) New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    the funny thing is, that RM refused to buy "fabulous" fabio (canavaro) for 15Million, and instead bought woodgate, claiming that "canavaro is prone to injury". :D

doesnt look too crippled at juve does he? :p

12. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005
    Same with Gabi Milito who has been nothing short of spectacular for Zaragoza.

13. Madridi

Madridi Member

Sep 15, 2005
    The 971
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I too will tell u what I really think of Woodgate after the game on Wednsday... Lets just say if he doesn't score an own goal he's good for me :p ...

14. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    Woodgate is a more naturally talented defender than a lot of players who've gone through the Premiership since he first broke through 6 or 7 years ago. He's just horrendously unlucky. If he ever gets back to peak fitness and his majestic form of old I think he'll be a serious contender for a place in the England side (in what is their most competitive position).

15. dmar

dmar Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Woodgate was supposed to be a very promising centreback. I wouldn't like to give up on him too soon. If we get frustrated and sell him prematurely we risk seeing him finally recover his old level at some other team after having spent so much moeny and effort in him.

Woody has been 17 months without playing. Since being a CB is sort of a a precision job, specially when you are of the technical sort of CB, like Woodgate is said to have been, it will be some time until he recovers his level of play. We know it can be done, other players (like Camacho) have been there and came back.

So, I am willing to be very patient with this guy.

16. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    On a humanitarian level it's nice to see you're being patient. I admit, as a non-Real fan his career over there has thus far been hilarious. I don't think he's that popular here in Britain after his alleged involvement in the assault case in Leeds.

He is still more popular than former Leeds player Lee Bowyer though, whom every British fan hates. There will be street parties if injury forces him to quit the game.

17. galactico(12)

galactico(12) New Member

Sep 14, 2005

agreed. Off the pitch woodgate and bowyer are utter racist B****ARDS! :mad:

I was very unhappy to see RM buy woodgate... (and his performances so far havnt justified taking this risk).

18. Tom_Bombadil

Tom_Bombadil New Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Can someone of you guys clarify me that incident he was allegedly involved on?
    I have heard something but I don't know the facts.

19. galactico(12)

galactico(12) New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    well basically, woodgate, lee bowyer, another leeds player, and a fourth freind who wasnt a football player were all charged with a racist attack on an asian guy outside a club.

it was blatently obvious that they were guity.. their stories didnt match up; the evidence was stacked against them etc... and then on the final day, the non-footballer (miraculously :rolleyes: ) admitted to all the charges, and the three footballers escaped the prison sentences!! Absolutely ridiculous. :mad: (i guess that guy who took the blame will come out of prison to find a nice new range rover or something hey?!! :D )

20. Pazarius

Pazarius New Member

Jan 10, 2004
    England
    The facts are that Woodgate, Bowyer & a couple of their mates chased an Asian student through Leeds one evening, and the student was then badly beaten. Of course everyone claimed that they weren't present/didn't participate when he was actually beaten.

The court convicted Woodgate of affray (a relatively minor offence, he just got 100 hours community service) and Bowyer got off entirely. One of their mates was convicted of GBH (Grievous bodily harm) and got six years in prison.

It's Bowyer who has the long history of racism and thuggery (trashing a McDonalds because he was being served by a 'paki', fighting his own team-mates etc). I don't remember Woodgate being involved in any other incidents like this. He certainly hasn't put a foot wrong off the pitch since the trial. At this stage I would give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he has learned his lesson.

21. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Since that incident, Woodgate kept a very low profile, except for an incident where he broke his jaw during horseplay with some of his mates. There was nothing racist involved in that, it was just a plain act of stupidity. However, I thinkhe has cleaned up his act, a year spent alone training by ones self will instill a hard discipline in anybody I think. I really really want him to be successful here.

22. jafo1972

jafo1972 Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Whatever happened to the legal term "Innocent until proven guilty"? People can change and mature. I really hope he comes through and contributes big time for Real Madrid this year and beyond.

23. judge10

judge10 New Member

May 12, 2005
    I wonder what Bernabeu has to say about racism, eh Bernabeu? ;) Or how about the mentally ill?

Friend to all Mr. Bernabeu (not Santiago :) )

24. Tom_Bombadil

Tom_Bombadil New Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Er, did I miss something?

25. judge10

judge10 New Member

May 12, 2005
    Ah Bernabeu and I go way back - not the most PC guy you'll ever meet. :)