News: Johnson out as Fox's lead soccer announcer

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by JohnW, Sep 14, 2014.

1. JohnW

JohnW Member

Apr 27, 2001
    St. Paul
    Mods: Feel free to delete or move if this doesn't rise to the level of N&A.

si.com with the story:

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2014/09/14/gus-johnson-steps-down-foxs-top-soccer-announcer

Quote:
    "Gus Johnson has stepped down as Fox’s No. 1 soccer broadcaster.

Johnson told Sports Illustrated on Sunday that he called Fox Sports president Eric Shanks last week and explained that with a full schedule of college football and college basketball, he could not give soccer the attention it deserved and that viewers demanded of a lead broadcaster. Shanks agreed to pull Johnson off the assignment."

Sorry to hear about his mother passing, but he was the worst soccer announcer. Worse than even Dave O'Brien for me.

2. kba4life

kba4life Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Claremont, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Joe Buck....come on down! Shoot me.

3. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good. im sure hes a great guy, and hes good for the sports he does, but to just decide to apply his talent to soccer is as ridiculous as the argument that kobe would be a world class left back ;)

5. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goodnight from Moscow. Stay tuned for COPS or your late local news. *cue FOX NFL music*

6. FLRef

FLRef Member

Dec 11, 2010
    Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing worse than the fact that I just read that in his voice is the realization that it could actually happen.

keller4president repped this.
  7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    They could just hire Ian Darke after the 2016 Euros. Not like they really need a lead announcer until then. The only tournament that Fox currently has that is of any importance to the 2018 World Cup is the 2015 Gold Cup. They can just have whoever do that. If the WCQ schedule is similar to the 2014, there would only be two WCQ's before the 2016 Euros, so if they hire Darke after the 2016 Euros, he'd only miss two US WCQ games. Who knows, maybe even another broadcast company will have the WCQ rights.

GiallorossiYank repped this.
  8. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I've spent many a keystroke bashing Gus over the last couple years.

This makes me happy.

dredgfan, exref and MasterShake29 repped this.
  9. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bring back Jack Edwards!

10. trafficjam304

trafficjam304 Member

May 28, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love Jack Edwards, his over the top delivery would be in stark contrast to the English commentators. Would be interesting. I did enjoy the 2002 world cup calls, but maybe the results had something to do with that.

11. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    They should hire Jim Rome and Stephen A Smith

Fanatical Monk repped this.
  12. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Someone reasonably understated + Kyle Martino for me. Make it happen, Fox!

zeitgeis repped this.
  13. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    On the Gringo Wall of Shame
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once he's done salivating over the Bruins that is ;)

14. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I'm not mistaken, to quote yourself, "Jack...we're no longer arriving. We're here."

That was the best post I've ever seen on BigSoccer. Thanks for that.

Would personally love to see Ian Darke.

Bluecat82 repped this.
  15. LuckofLichaj

LuckofLichaj Member+

Mar 9, 2012
    Macca + a decent PBP guy would be great. Darke and Macca had chemistry but I can't stand Darke.

16. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds fine to me. Or JP Dellacamera. I know he's still announcing.

Sorry to hear why he left, but it was a win for him and for Soccer in the US.

18. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Missed a few

The company (Fox), which owns the rights to the next two Men’s and Women’s World Cups as well as the UEFA Champions League and starting next year, MLS and the US National Team, shockingly announced that Gus Johnson had stepped down from the post

19. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Maybe I'm giving comment sections and message boards too much credit, but I wonder if he read all the negative feedback and decided he wasn't the right fit for the job. If it was a realization thing and he made that choice on his own, then I have massive respect for the guy because that's not something I would do.

20. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Macca does do that English-ex-player-from-the-90s thing where he downplays even serious fouls as non-events. That being said, I agree that he would be pretty good.

Pair him with Arlo, who is the type to overplay situations and use hyperbole a little too often, and you may get a decent match, with two different viewpoints of the same situation.

LuckofLichaj repped this.
  21. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry to hear about his Mom, but this is good news for hardcore fans, who were sick of a guy who knew far less than them, doing the gig.

22. manq360

manq360 Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ian Darke annoyed me so much during the WC, that I actually had to mute my TV. He goes on and on and usually sounds like he is total in awe of the other team...no matter who we were playing.

LuckofLichaj repped this.
  23. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    To be fair.

The US played some pretty good teams at the World Cup.

Private Entrance repped this.
  24. tbonepat11

tbonepat11 Member+

Jun 21, 2001
    Sorry to hear about his mother. I was worried about his ability and was never a fan of his EXPLOSION that maxed out the mic randomly.

Fox will hire someone soon because they need them for the Champion's League. They won't phone that in because there is a really really big audience for that. I am not sure how it works with commentators and whether they have non-compete clauses in their contracts. All the big guys are working at either NBC or ESPN right now. If they can buy out someones contract then they should just go after anyone they want. Who will turn down that gig? "Hey, you want the next 2 world cups?"

What I hope they do is just contract out each game and do a really big search for THE guy who will be the voice of US soccer for the next 8 years if they can't get the person they want right now. Don't just hire in house and fill the spot.

Also, I think they should separate Champion's League booth guys and the World Cup since we are so far removed from the next World Cup. No need to just lump it together.

Private Entrance repped this.
  25. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Doesn't Fox have English language US rights to the Centenario Copa America in 2016? If so, they will want to have someone in place well before.