Johnson & Harkes

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by todda74, May 8, 2005.

1. todda74

todda74 New Member

Nov 4, 2001
    Annapolis
    Forgive me if this has been discussed before but I haven't seen it on the boards before. Since i've moved out to the west coast yesterday was the first time i've gotten to see United on the Comcast feed. Thank god for MLSNET.COM!!!!

Anyway, is anyone else impressed with how good Harkes is on the broadcast? I'm also impressed on how good of a coach he must be, it really comes out while he's commenting on the game. Plus Johnson and Harkes seem to really click in a way that Johnson and Rongen didn't. I'm also pretty impressed with Johnson's knowledge about some of the Crew players.

If there was any justice Waldo would soon get replaced by Harkes. Though that would mean he'd probably have to leave his United job.

2. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Harkes did a fine job, but he's not nearly at Waldo's level.

3. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Watched the replay today and was impressed with Johnson and Harkes. Look forward to hearing them call more games. Anything's better than Wynalda's inane ramblings.

4. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    C0L0R C0MM3NT4T0R F0R L1F3!!!!!!11

Seriously, though, I agree about Comcast's commentators; I was just thinking earlier today how much more I enjoy their commentary than Stone/Wynalda or Bretos/Hopkins.

5. Doctor Woo

Doctor Woo Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Newport, OR
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, Bretos/Hopkins is painful. If given a choice between watching a game on Fox Sports Espanol and FSC, I'll take FSE every time despite my minimal Spanish skills. On the other hand, I really don't mind Stone/Waldo. They love the game, and that's usually enough for me.

I have also always liked Harkes, and I am pretty unhappy that FSC cut him out of the MLS Wrap. He surprised me with how comfortable he is with the camera, not an easy trick for a jock. If I can get Harksie on games instead, fair trade.

BTW, I pulled out my Vasco VCR last night. I forgot how much I miss Gordon Bradley.

6. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I like the Comcast crew as well. Although he really needs a better goal call! "Its in the net! Its in the net! Its in the net!" doesnt do it for me, hehe.

7. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    I was shocked to hear the word "brilliant" only like 3 times during the broadcast.

8. Doctor Woo

Doctor Woo Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Newport, OR
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Especially when it wasn't.

9. Dadinho

Dadinho Member

Feb 19, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not what Wynalda's wife said...

10. gnk

gnk Member+

Nov 1, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, gotta give Johnson credit for working the Wizards game Fri. night, then the DC United game Sat night, and now (Sun. afternoon) down in Miami for the WIz again.

11. ignatz

ignatz New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Washington, DC
    I would enjoy the three stooges more than I enjoy Bretos/Hopkins, particularly Bretos. Gawd, I wish he'd shut up.

12. Napoli_Ultra

Napoli_Ultra Member

Jun 9, 1999
    Lorton VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I guess something is wrong with me, but I actually like Bretos. :cool:

Anyway, I really thought the Comcast broadcast was well done. Dave Johnson is able to do all of the broadcasts because he gets a good night's sleep on his "sleep-number" bed. :D
    Harkes is a natural behind the mic.
    I was suprised there was a sideline reporter. Even though I despise the in-game coach interviews. For some reason, it didn't seem as akward or an interuption when this guy talked to Nowak.
    Also, they had good camera angles, and got to see the fans in the quiet side of RFK for once.

13. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    probably because the guy they used (Thaler) is an experienced sports reporter, and not some former player pretending to be a reporter. The former player angle admittedly works sometimes (Lynn Swann is a great sideline reporter for NFL games, and Tony Siragusa is very amusing in his sideline segments) but is often far more annoying than useful.

14. LowEnd

LowEnd New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Washington, DC
    I wasn't a fan of Harkes on MLS Wrap, but watching the replay on MLSNet.com I also agree, he's great as a color commentator. For some reason all those coaching tips seem more apropos in the course of the game as opposed to on a highlight show. Can't explain. How 'bout for MLS Cup you get both Hudson and Harkes with Johnson on play-by-play.

15. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least Bretos can be entertaining. Hopkins seems to be fighting his way through his own sentences half the time.

16. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    I'd like to see Hudson and Wynalda together; they'd be like two cats in a sack.

17. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I thought they did a good job, but they do need to work on their timing, something that will (or better) come as the season wears on.

18. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    Part of that is because Rongen isn't as good on TV as Harkesy is, and part of it is that Johnson and Harkes have more history together. The two of them hosted the weekly show "Soccer Sweep" on NewsChannel 8 back in the 1997 season.

19. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    I thought they were good too. But I guess that won't be all season once Harkes is gone with the U20s. Harkes' insights were good and not just coach-speak cliches. Nowak didn't seem to be as annoyed talking to Russ as he does when it's the ESPN yahoos.

Bretos and Hopkins used to annoy the crap out of me, but now they just amuse me. They are the biggest homers in the world, so it's funny to listen to their distorted view of reality. They do seem to be enjoying themselves though.

20. TroisièmeRobert

TroisièmeRobert New Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Route 210, yo.
    This really is the best way to listen to those two. Try and understand what they're talking about, and it annoys the living hell outta ya. But keep your own running commentary in your head, and pretend they're just a couple dudes talking behind you in the stadium, and it's hilarious. Bretos can bring out the insane in anybody.
    Loved Harkesy on Comcast, easy-going and natural commentary. Made a great game for us even better. I totally agree with whoever said upthread (eta: todda74) he seems like a great coach.

21. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Or Sampson's either.

22. BigKris

BigKris Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Falls Church, VA
    [Butthead] Huh-huh. huh-huh. All these people like Johnson. Huh-huh. [/Butthead]

23. rojojova

rojojova Member

Mar 7, 2001
    LA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's the first Beavis and Buttthead reference I've heard in 10 years.

Harksie would be a great color guy if he wanted to be.
    He could be like the John McEnroe of Soccer... ie- a funny guy with loads of big-time experience.

24. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    I'll give Bretos and Hopkins two things:
    1. They show some passion for the game and calling it. They may get annoying, but you can't say they're boring.
    2. Listening to them suck Galaxy schlong during the whole game can be so ridiculous that it actually becomes funny. Like in the game last night how Hopkins thought that the PK call against the Galaxy was embellished. :rolleyes:

On topic...Johnson and Harkes are a great combo. Just another aspect of the entire DC United package that fans are blessed with.

ITS IN THE NET!! GOOAALL DC UNITED!

25. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    "Misplaced passion" is just a euphemism for "premature orgasm."