John Viafara, News & comments

Discussion in 'Colombia' started by lfsr1544, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Re: Viafara en Portsmouth

haha, yea we did, that's why my last sentence was "had our own fun." Up to that point it was a "geeky" spring break, but after it was over it turned for the better.

2. lfsr1544

lfsr1544 Member

May 9, 2001
    Glen Rock, NJ
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

dude, there's always the mail-order bride if you miss Colombia that much ;)

I wouldn't live in Colombia, although I would have a business and a summer cottage in Cartagena if I could. I've lived in good 'ole USA for 26 of my 32 years on Earth, and Starbucks is just too damn convenient (although when i can, i go to the Juan Valdez coffee shops to represent )!

3. Hartfield

Hartfield Red Card

Jun 15, 2005
    Bogota D.C

hahahahahahaha yep..you could say you're more american than Colombian.

4. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

Starbucks - blah...

theres a Juan Valdez in D.C. haven't been able to ge yet, but will soon.

5. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  6. lfsr1544

lfsr1544 Member

May 9, 2001
    Glen Rock, NJ
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  7. boultsy

boultsy New Member

Jul 8, 2005
    Portsmouth

Hi guys, Pompey (Portsmouth) fan here.

Stumbled across this thread after looking for some info on Viafara, hope you don't mind me crashing your thread :)

We're all a bit unsure of what his role will be for pompey, even more so because with our new manager Alain Perrin, we're unsure of the shape of our team next season, I guess we'll get an idea over the next few weeks during pre-season.

The general feel is that we'll play 433 or 442, can you give us an idea how 'fara would fit into these shapes. I think I read a comment from one of your fellow countrymen, hartfield?? that he's a defensive central type that likes to get forward when he can. He posted a couple of tasty goals also :D

What role did he play for Once Caldes (sp) and the nt, good and bad comments welcome...

cheers

PUP

Boultsy

8. boultsy

boultsy New Member

Jul 8, 2005
    Portsmouth

oh, wrt the Spanish speaker, we're not sure if it's for Viafara or some spanish forward we're getting in over the wkend. :confused:

9. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

welcome here Pompey fan, hope you stay around, and keep us updated throughout the season.

10. boultsy

boultsy New Member

Jul 8, 2005
    Portsmouth

Cheers,
    :cool:
    I'll try my best.

Viafara aims to give Pompey Latin fans

JOHN VIAFARA arrives in Portsmouth for a medical tomorrow to complete his £1.6m move from Once Caldas.

The 26-year-old Colombian midfielder will then join up with his new Pompey team-mates at the club's Eastleigh training ground.
    He believes he can help Pompey to their highest Premiership position – eclipsing the 13th spot reached in 2004.
    And he is out to make sure that comes with the backing of half of Colombia.
    Aston Villa have become the favourite English team in Colombia since Juan Pablo Angel joined them.
    Now Viafara hopes people in his native land will start supporting the Blues.
    He said: 'I hope the boys back home will begin to follow a club where there will be another player of their own giving his all. It will not be easy but I know I can win and achieve something for them.'

06 July 2005

11. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

I just hope he does well, he is known for dropping his level from time to time.....

12. Hartfield

Hartfield Red Card

Jun 15, 2005
    Bogota D.C

.. he's a defensive midfielder plays on the right.... He's more used to playing in defensive teams. Viafara also goes on the attack quite often and is pretty tough on defense...great player.

In America he didn't do to well but since he started playing in caldas and NT he has been great...I didn't know he dropped his level from time to time pibe...

Here another goal
    http://www.caposdeleje.net/media/Goles/may505gol.html

13. lfsr1544

lfsr1544 Member

May 9, 2001
    Glen Rock, NJ
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

I've seen Viafar play allot over the last couple of years. I saw him play in teh Copa America where he was aweful, but he was also exhausted as his squad Caldas, had just won the Copa Libertadores.

The guy is thought to have 3 lungs, 'because he has speed with his long legs, and a deadly shot beyond the 18 yard box. But he can also get a bit crazy with that shot as well, so be prepared to see him send some balls way over the keeper.

He is overall a solid midfielder with a dual role of defensing and attacking. Both for teh NT and club he is always placed on the flanks and is ready to run up that line. His passing is poor, but he's got a ton of guts, and will fight for every ball he losses. He's tough to take down and does commit a fair amount of fouls on the defensive end. He's got wonderful skill with the ball and can easily penetrate defenses (especially which ever left back is covering his lane).
    His role in Once Caldas, was pretty open, meaning the coach alllowed him to cover a significant part of the field, which is how he scores his goals, by eyeing the GK and just taking the wicked shots. With the NT, his role is a bit more defensive, where he's asked to take the ball away from the attacking team and then look for the '10' on the field.
    Although as I mentioned before he attacks thru the flanks, he usually is not a 'set up man'. Meaning that as he gets closer to the 18 yard box, he'll usually begin to dribble with speed and penetrate the central defender's position, and then either taking the shot or giving some pass....always opt for the shot with Viafara, as I said his passing needs some work.

Overall, it's a great buy for you guys. He's played some great games with club against the likes of Boca (ARG), Santos (BRA) and played well in the Intercontinental Cup vs. Porto last year.

Here's what he'll need help with:
    1- transitioning to EPL, meaning, everygame whether it's team placed 16 or Man U, is a final. The colombian tournament is played differently and at a different pace.

2 - Temper - he can be wishy-washy at times with his stupid temper, asking the refs for the foul or card, he'll need to mature in this aspect wuickly.

3 - Header - For a man with his height and quite a good jump, he should be more aggressive in the box in attempting to score, the EPL will definitely require him to do so.

4- Time - the coach will need to give him plenty of top game time in order to gain confidence and understand clearly what's at stake

5- Language/Culture Barrier - This is what made JPA's transition to Villa very difficult. The club will need to help him adapt to a set of different circumstances.

Good Luck Pompey....although my heart still belings to the Claret and Blue!

14. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake

you may want to ad that he has a powerfull shot on goal from the 30 meters or 35 (sometimes)

welcome here Pompey blue!

15. Hartfield

Hartfield Red Card

Jun 15, 2005
    Bogota D.C

didn't once caldas play a 4-4-2?

16. Hartfield

Hartfield Red Card

Jun 15, 2005
    Bogota D.C

I read that Pompey might be getting wanchope.....that really sucks that guy is pure BS.

By the way..why is portsmouth called pompey?

17. boultsy

boultsy New Member

Jul 8, 2005
    Portsmouth

Thanks for the replies guys, keep them coming :)

18. lfsr1544

lfsr1544 Member

May 9, 2001
    Glen Rock, NJ
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

I don't think he sucks...but I do think he's past his prime.

19. Hartfield

Hartfield Red Card

Jun 15, 2005
    Bogota D.C

yea his prime is loooooong gone. Portsmouth should of searched in Colombia for a striker we've got plenty :)

20. lfsr1544

lfsr1544 Member

May 9, 2001
    Glen Rock, NJ
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

i did say that....

and Hartfield...E Perea is/was clearly the best striker in Colombia...but he's on his way to France....after him, maybe Renteria would do well in the EPL.

21. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

Is Viafara married tho? what really made it tought for JPA was that his wife was pregnant and ran into complications with the baby. But definately the language thing, theres nothing worse than having people around you talk and not understing them....

there was an interview with JPA, I read it, I'll look for it to see if I can find it, but he said that he would comunicate with his team mates by making signs, and that he decided to let his hair grow because he didn't know how to ask for a haircut. Once when they played against ManU, (I believe that was his first away game) they sat to eat, and one of his team mates made the sign for him to eat....he said that was tough.

22. boultsy

boultsy New Member

Jul 8, 2005
    Portsmouth

well we've just had our first pre-season friendly, but nothing to report as viafara was not there :rolleyes: guess he's sorting things out back home before setting off back to the UK for the rest of the season.

Hartfield - pompey is just an abrieviation, we like to do that a lot :) Not sure where is orriginates from. There's a lot of naval histroy linked to portsmouth so it may come from there. Good question.

It looks like we're not getting wanchope now, gone to Qatar for silly money, instead we signed Collins mbusema (sp) from south africa who looks very promising, but will take a while to settle. still need that proven EPL goal machine though, a spanish guy would be good to keep viafara company.

23. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

you should try to persuade pompey's management to buy a colombian forward, Edixon is taken now, but Martin Arzuaga is pretty good, its been proven that colombians play better in 2s, look at Boca, they had 3 and that team was awesome....late 90s - 2001.....another example, River Plate of the same time period. + It would give Viafara some company....:)

Thanks for the update tho.....I think he did travel to the UK early this week.

24. lfsr1544

lfsr1544 Member

May 9, 2001
    Glen Rock, NJ
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  25. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA