John Mayer

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by peledre, Aug 13, 2002.

1. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most of my friends just think he's a dave matthews clone, but I happen to love the guy, his music, and his guitar playing abilities. If you haven't seen or heard him b4, check out Jay Leno tonight (the 13th). He'll be the musical guest.

What does everyone else think about him?

2. mikelley037

mikelley037 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    i think hes just like DM and i dont like him that much. one of my friends likes him a lot and he made me listen to the cd. hes pretty good at the guitar but i dont really like him. i can see how people do though.

3. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not only is he a Dave Matthews clone, he's a bad one at that. Dave Matthews can at least surprise you with some complex chords and his drummer is awesome. When I first heard John Mayer on the radio, I thought to myself...man Dave Matthews is getting weaker all the time.

4. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    John Mayer may not be the creative player that DM is, but he does find some pretty unconventional chords. His lyric writing is about 20 times what DM's is though.

5. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    Its pretty much gey yuppie music.

6. sdeshw

sdeshw New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Kenton, OH
    Jack Johnson

Just to throw another potential clone in the mix, what do you all think about Jack Johnson?

7. Big Petke

Big Petke New Member

Feb 7, 1999
    Rockaway, NJ
    I happen to love Jack Johnson...I think he is much better than John Mayer. Alot of the songs may sound similar, but the lyrics are better and he just creates such a laid-back atmosphere its amazing.

8. sdeshw

sdeshw New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Kenton, OH
    I would tend to agree, I was only throwing clone out there for descriptive purposes.

When I listen I am reminded of my not so distant past before, real life and graduation, just hanging out in the basement of our college house listening to great music and drinking beers. Good times, good times.

9. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    great guitar work.

too bad his voice is WAY too poppy.

Elliott Smith over him any day.

10. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Re: Jack Johnson

Ali was quicker, but Johnson was tougher. And that's saying a lot.

:p

11. Big Petke

Big Petke New Member

Feb 7, 1999
    Rockaway, NJ
    Exactly what me and my friends do now... and what a life that is.

BTW, he just announced new tour dates on his website, so go check him out live. I'm hoping to find a ride from school to get to the show at the Electric Factory.

12. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    I already have tickets to his upcoming show in Houston. I agree with what has been mentioned above, his songs sound a lot like Dave Matthews. But as a Dave Matthews fan I don't have a problem with that.

You guys though are so much better at comparing how good of a lyracist he is, or the quality of his guitar playing. For me, I could care less. Do I enjoy putting his CD in and listening, or singing myself? If yes, I buy it. Not too intellectual of an approach. But that explains why I have too many pop CD's than I would ever like to admit.

13. trickyfool

trickyfool New Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Orlando, FL
    I'm not a big fan, but many people (mostly girls) are big fans so I've grown to appreciate his music and his guitar abilities. Anyways, I met the guy after a show a few months ago. He is really likable, almost to the point of making it impossible to not like his songs. Almost.

Of course I got autographs, but he wrote them out to Emily, Prya, and Nicole :D

14. Courtney

Courtney Member

May 14, 2000
    Massachusetts
    At first I hated him (Mayer), but he's grown on me a little (except now that first friggin song is so overplayed it makes me wanna scream), the fact that he's cute does help some. And while he does sounds kinda DMB-esque, I am NOT a DMB fan in the slightest. That's why I hated him at first, "geez, if you're gonna be a wannabe you should at least wannabe someone GOOD." I see no point in buying a zillion of a band's cd for the same ideas and sounds over and over and over. I bought under the table and dreaming when it first came out, for $7 at the Charlottesville Circuit City. Everything since that, minus a few songs off of Crash, just sounds recycled to me.

15. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Saw him a couple of months ago at Centenial Park in ATL. He was pretty good, but he does kinda remind one of Dave Mattews. But DM sounds like someone from the 70s- I just don't know who. All post 70s music is someone's rehash if you just look hard enough.

16. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    i really dont see the correlation between john mayer and dave matthews...but whatever, i guess to me they are very different. i am a big john mayer fan but have come to hate dave matthews and his music in the past 6 years, before that, not so bad...

17. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Jack Johnson

LMAO!! Ali floated like a butterfly and stung like a bee.....Jack Johnson (though wonderfully portrayed by James Earl Jones in "The Great White Hope") just beat up John L Corbett. No contest IMO!

Ali is the King!!! :D

18. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously, I heard one Mayer song and I didn't think it was half bad. Had I had it crammed down my throat though, I might have thought otherwise. So I understand the backlash.

19. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think people just think their voices are similar, because their musical styles and the sound and feel of their songs (Dave Matthews and John Mayer) are nothing alike.

20. JAnderson14

JAnderson14 New Member

Oct 5, 2000
    Crofton, MD
    He's boring. I can see the difference between him and Dave Matthews, but at the end of the day both bore me to tears. Neither one is bad...just bland.

21. Crew14

Crew14 Member

Apr 11, 2000
    Brunswick
    Re: Re: John Mayer

Nobody's lyrics are 20x what Dave's are.

C14

22. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: John Mayer

I'm a huge fan of dave, but when you're lyrics don't even form sentences, or even groups of words, and don't convey a whole lot of emotion anymore, you are really starting to drop off.

Each one of Mayer's songs conveys deep feelings of love, personal anguish, frustration, and happiness. I can't even understand what DM is saying anymore, much less interpret his lyrics.

Your Body is a Wonderland, by John Mayer, is one example of how profound his lyrics can be.

All of his lyrics are relatable to real life, real problems, and solutions. And they actually make sense, something that most other artists' don't when you just listen to the song once or twice.

23. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Jack Johnson

I must have missed this bout, but wow am I surprised. John Corbett? Really? He seemed like such an easygoing, laidback guy as 'Chris in the Morning', though I haven't yet seen 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding', so maybe he did something there to deserve getting smacked.