John Hiatt suggestions

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by emp2b3, Jul 11, 2005.

1. emp2b3

emp2b3 Member

Apr 24, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    I know that I have seen his name mentioned here as a good singer/songwriter. While searching on NPR for a band's name who they interviewed yesterday (if anyone was listening help me out-it was a band that had critical acclaim but not much commerical success and they talked about the cons of accepting money from a record label) I ran across a link to an interview of his. It has four songs that you can listen to and says they he has 21 albums out now. Where should I start? I really like the four songs that I have heard. Thanks.
    link for the page: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4723790

2. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    1. Stolen Moments

2. Bring The Family

3. Ya'll Caught (best of package from the presober years...)

4. Slow Turning

5. Little Village (semi supergroup including Hiatt)

6. Perfectly Good Guitar

#s 1 and 2 would rate as "essential," 3 & 4 "desirable" 5. is in there for "Do You Want My Job" and "Dont Think About Her When You're Trying to Drive" and 6. for "Buffalo River Home"

3. Glenwood Lane United

Apr 28, 2001
    Hanover Park, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you like acoustic, folky type music, get Crossing Muddy Waters. The whole album is just Hiatt and a guitar.

Hiatt Comes Alive at Bukokan is worth getting, too.

I'd also highly recommend 1, 2, and 4 from the previous list.

4. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Pick up "The Best of John Hiatt...The A&M Years" and you're covered. I just saw him last week with The North Missisippi AllStars and he rocked it out. His new album sounds pretty good, I'll pick it up this weekend and report back.

5. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Well-- its a superb collection and no arguing; but I can put together another as good or almost of songs from those albums which are not on it, so I'd argue that "you're covered" not so good. You'd miss "Stolen Moments," "Icy Blue Heart," "Have a Little Faith In Me," "Your Dad Did," "The Rest of the Dream," "Listening to Old Voices,""Sometime Other than Now," just a whole bunch of good stuff.

I generally hate collections though-- seems like you always wind up having to buy the whole albums later... I do endorse the "Y'All Caught" one because it seems to me to have done an exceptional job of pulling the intelligible stuff out of a very murky early career...

6. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I agree, I've seen him twice in the last year and a half and when I saw him at this small club in Alexandria, VA he was selling a dual CD compilation set with over 60 songs on it. You can't buy it in the stores (although I haven't checked out his website) and it was about $30 but worth every penny.

I've said it before on this forum, John Hiatt has got to be one of the greatest songwriters in American history.

7. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Don't suppose you could post the stack on it? I know, sixty songs is a lot, but you could shorthand'em...

I don't think Hiatt's a threat to Hank Williams or anything, but he's got to be in the top twenty...

8. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Sure, I'll check it out when I get home tonight.

9. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to see Hiatt get props,,,,I have a couple of his CD's, perfectly good guitar i think should be further up on the list. the title song is great and mocks the so called Rockers,,,buffalo river home, blue telescope great songs
    the Budokon CD is very good too

10. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hiatt is talent, for sure. I like the whole catalogue, especially some of the rougher older stuff, before he smoothed out his voice, and was more akin to Springsteen and Mellencamp, though certainly a better writer than Mellencamp and a more interesting lyricist, IMO, than The Boss.

11. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Sorry, it was 40 not 60. The John Hiatt Anthology
    Here goes.....

DISC 1

Sure As I'm Sittin Here
    Hangin' Around The Observatory
    Down Home
    Washable Ink
    Slug Line
    Radio Girl
    Pink Bedroom
    It Hasn't Happened Yet
    Spy Boy
    Doll Hospital
    My Edge of The Razor
    Riding With The King
    She Loves The Jerk
    I Didn't Even Try
    The Love That Harms
    The Way we Make a Broken Heart
    When We Ran
    The Usual
    She Said The Same Things To Me
    Lipstick Sunset
    Thank You Girl
    Have A little Faith in Me

DISC 2

Memphis In The Meantime
    Thing Called Love
    Tennessee Plates
    Slow Turning
    Drive South
    Feels Like Rain
    Paper Thin
    A Child of The Wild Blue Yonder
    Real Fine Love
    Perfectly Good Guitar
    Buffalo River Home
    Angel Eyes
    Cry Love
    Shredding The Document
    Don't Think About Her (While Trying To Drive)
    Pirate Radio
    Crossing Muddy Waters
    Take It Down

12. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    That's awfully good but still has major omissions-- "Stolen Moments," "Old Voices,""Icy Blue Heart," "Your Dad Did" and "Do You Want My Job" off the top of my head. He's really too big to anthologise... needs a collection of "the best of the worst" plus the best albums...

13. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Couldn't have said it better myself. :)

14. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    So true.

FYI, for anyone in the Bay Area, Hiatt is playing free THIS THURSDAY, 7/14/05, at Plaza de Cesar Chavez in downtown San Jose at 5:30 PM. See ya there.

15. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    I concur. Just saw him with the North Mississippi All-Stars last night, and it was the best I've seen Hiatt. NMAS was a great backup band, and they turned several Hiatt classics into long improv, jam-band style tunes (Cry Love, most notably).

We were surprised that they only played about half the new CD, given the backup band. Tons of regular Hiatt classics instead, including killer versions of Perfectly Good Guitar and Memphis in the Meantine, and an encore of Thing Called Love.

If you get a chance to see them on this tour, go!

16. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    North Mississippi All Stars are one of the best bands out there today. They put on a phenomenal show. Buy their live album Hill Country Revue: Live at Bonnaroo.. Fantastic stuff. I've seen them play 4.5 hour shows. They play their asses off.

Also, they're in a band with Jon Medeski & Robert Randolph called THE WORD, and they do funked up, rocked out instrumental versions of hymns and spirituals. Sounds bizarrre, but it's amazing. I just can't say enough good about NMAS.

I might have to drive to Tampa next week to take that show in.

17. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Bumped to say that the new album "Master of Disaster" got a rave review from a fairly reliable reviewer in this mornings Santa Fe paper...

18. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What, nobody else likes "Crossing Muddy Waters"? It's a little anomalous, given the rest of his work, but it's very very good (except maybe Mr Stanley).

19. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    As a matter of fact the same reviewer liked it a lot; I just haven't heard it.