John Henry's Summer 2011 Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Bobinhood, Apr 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chimaera

Chimaera Member

Mar 26, 2009
    La Plata, Maryland
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gervinho picking a club this week. Rumors we've bid for him are around.

With him, Rami, Cabaye and maybe one or two others leaving, Hazard probably goes as well if you ask me.

Don't know that we're in for him, but I think he moves with Lille having sold off a lot of their talent.

2. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I like McCarthy a lot.
    We were in for him two years ago when Wigan got him. He said he wanted to be somewhere he could get immediate 1st team football. He has proven himself a good player while at Wigan, and he will have a chance to really excel as he matures if he comes to us.

Shelvey had a big reputation upon his arrival, but has done little to add to that. He really needs 1st team football, and he won't get that here. He needs to be loaned out. I'm not really sure what his position is supposed to be, as he has been thrown everywhere, but we'll find out in time.

3. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Despite picking up a long term injury this season he has still played 21 games this season. Since Kenny's took over the only game he's been available for and not played was the City game. He's firmly in Kenny's plans.

We've been playing with 3 CM's since the King has came in so there is room for Lucas, Raul, Spearing, Shelvey and 2 others if needed.

4. Sinstar

Sinstar Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I agree with this. Shelvey looks to be a big part of Kenny's plans.

5. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i don't disagree, but the situation changes a bit if McCarthy comes over from Wigan. one of the reasons that Shelvey and Spearing played as much as they did was the absence of Gerrard. Shelvey more than Spearing, obviously. i'm not sure who would be more likely to eventually be the player who fills the role of Gerrard in the long haul, whether Shelvey or McCarthy or someone else, but i'm more inclined to think it's someone else, and i think that depends a lot on how Liverpool fares on the world stage.

i think it's very possible that a squad with Gerrard, Carroll, Suarez, Meireles, Lucas, Kuijt and Reina -- plus a player or two to be named later -- can challenge for a top 3 slot, if all stay fairly healthy. i think Gerrard is the most iffy of that group, because of his age and injury history.

i do not see McCarthy as an answer to the "Gerrard problem". and neither is Jonjo Shelvey.

the season after Gerrard turned 20 -- yesterday was his 31st birthday -- he scored 7 goals in 33 league appearances. ten years later, he scored 4 in 21. his days are very numbered.

but Shelvey does not show me the talent to duplicate anything like what Gerrard has done.

6. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    but what part is he supposed to play? he was ALWAYS a bit part sub, and I don't remember a single touch/play of that is worthy of remembrance. I never saw a performance from him that made me say, "wow, we've got a player on our hands." his appearances seem to be down to a lack of choices, not him being part of some master plan. he wasn't trusted to start while Spearing was - says it all for me, really.

7. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    apples to apples.

Spearing is more a holding midfielder than Shelvey, don't you think. they don't fill the same slot, in my view.

8. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, the defensive player is always going to start over the attacking player.

Why? Because, the attacking player is always a better impact sub.

9. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you're so smart...:)

10. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's face it. I'm the son you wish you had. ;)

11. ULL NEVER WALK ALONE

Sep 29, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I don't really think there is a "Gerrard Problem". We can't be a team who depends on a single player, and won't find a midfielder as good as Gerrard anytime soon, or even close to him. The scum have won tittles with arguably the weakest midfield in the top 5 over the last couple of years, so that's really not a problem.

We need players that can do a true midfielders job, which is to hold possession and create chances for the front men, who are supposed to score.

12. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Being a bit insulting towards Spearing there dontchathink.

Spearing played a big part in keeping our tempo and the ball moving around the pitch, he also was constantly harrying the position and helping out the fullbacks.

Against Spurs when he was took of sat the hour mark we started to be hit down the middle to frequently. Although we were 2-0 down(from a penalty and a freak deflection from a shot on the area of the box) we had restricted them to no pressure in the penalty area. We gave this up once Jay came off.

Going by the personal we have right now Spearing would be shadowing Gerrards place in the 11 and Shelvey Rauls place. What we need is a player to cover/replace Lucas in case of injury/suspension/loss of form.

13. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wee Jay is a scrappy lil' bastard, but he is nowhere near as good as you are making him out to be, Pikas. We weren't doing well in the Spurs game before he came off. Just because it got worse _after_, it doesn't mean he was doing a stellar job. Modric was giving him the run-around.

Sure, Spearing serves a role. He is our "Darren Fletcher". An advanced midfielder that will "bite the legs" of opposing postal deliverers. He also complements Lucas extremely well, since they are opposite types of players. I hope we keep him at the expense of trying to sign the same type of squad player in the future.

14. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Oh I agree it was one of his poorer games, its just that game illustrated perfectly what he brings to the team and what Shelvey lacks. On the other hand I doubt Jay would of been capable of the pass Jonjo made against Fulham. Both players have different strengths.

With Jonjo in the team we'll create more chances but will lose possession more and maybe not track opposition runners. However both are still young and no one should be expecting them to start carrying the team just yet.

15. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. They aren't competing against each other at the moment. At least not as direct replacements for each other.

16. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think the management is still trying to figure out Shelvey's role, and rather than pigeon-hole him into a specific role, are shunting him about. As was done to Gerrard when he broke into the team-- a good player who just had to be involved with the first team. In fact I'd go so far as saying that until Benitez came, Gerrad had not been played to his true strength. Shelver's a good player and, remember, only 19. The raw talent is unmistakably there. And, no, I'd not loan him where he would be isolated from "new"Liverpool way of playing. His chances will come.

Talking of which, I think McCarthy would be a waste of money given what we already have and, given that it's out in the public domain, unlikely to be coming here. Still, I'll trust Dalglish and Comolli on this one.

17. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    In a sense, Gerrard is an anachronism, albeit an amazingly good one, and I agree, he's not going to be replaced by a single player.

18. Bobinhood

Bobinhood Member

Apr 22, 2005
    Toronto
    Jon-Jo's gonna be Boss. Like Ricky-Bobby good.

19. 5_EUROPEAN_CUPS

Mar 19, 2005
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Jonjo's lack of pace is the real killer so that means he has to be a really special player to succeed in this league especially. Can he? Time will tell but there have been glimpses of the talent he has.

Personally much as I like the lad I'm not ready to proclaim him the second coming quite yet.

Not every player has to be a whippet but those that arn't usually don't come to prominence at Jonjo's age.

20. Sinstar

Sinstar Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    RAWK indicates that reliable sources have linked us strongly to Barton, apparently this is more than just a rumor.

21. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Are these the same strong sources that told us that China was buying us 9 months ago.

Bartons a prick, i'd personally be gutted if we were to sign him.

22. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ... apart from being an average footballer. He's on crazy money at Newcastle, 29 years old, not an upgrade on anyone we have and they are prepared to let him go. Remind you of someone?

I think it's just a mad summer's rumour.

23. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Altogether now, kids: "It's not real until he's standing in front of the Kop with a Liverpool shirt on and a scarf over his head."

Thnak fook for Cricket, I'd never make it through the off-season silliness otherwise.

24. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And it's looking damn good right now. Admittedly, 20-20 is a bit of hit and giggle.

25. Sinstar

Sinstar Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I was just fueling the fire, didn't create the rumors and aren't happy with them either.