John Ashcroft, keeping our country safe from comedians

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by MikeLastort2, Sep 12, 2003.

1. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    yeah because r kelly videotaping sex with a 13 yo and cheech selling bongs (which btw are sold in stores all over the country) are the same thing

:rolleyes:

2. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    Wait a minute, is selling bongs illegal? Im asking because there are a bunch of shops in the Village where bongs are actually displayed on the window fronts. I also remember going to Haight and Ashbury in SF and they had shops that sold everything but the drug(Imn sure they did in the "back"). So exactly why is Chong going to a pound me in the ass prison and these STORES continue to sell?

3. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    The gay lobby is VERY powerful.

Seriously, why didn't Cheech just cash in on his enormous acting talents? Why is he selling bongs on the internet in the 1st place? Can't Rae Dawn float him some money?

4. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the record, I think the sentence is harsh. I believe he should have gotten probation and done some community service but....

"Assistant U.S. Attorney Mary McKeen Houghton pointed out, for example, that when agents raided his home they found close to a pound of marijuana."

That came from the article. It's more than just chong, NOT cheech, selling bongs.

Besides, what the fuck does this have to do with Ashcroft? He wasn't the judge that sentenced Chong. If anything blame the guy for the Patriot Act, NOT this. Blaming him for this is retarded.

5. champmanager

champmanager Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Kazakhstan
    As far as I understand it, he was sentenced in a federal court, prosecuted, presumably, by a federal prosecutor.
    If they can go above and beyond the law to lock people up incommunicado, then they can choose to look the other way from an existing law that makes no sense. But apparently the Department of Justice assigned a prosecutor (if not more than one) to investigate people selling glass and paper.
    This Ashcroft is a maniac, not to mention an arsehole, and I feel a fair amount of people who might otherwise be undecided about his boss might base their votes on whether this azzwipe is liable to be around four more years.
    I would like to hear from Republicans who have problems with Ashcroft...I know they're are some in Congress and in the Senate, but I've yet to run across them on BigSoccer.

6. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, 4 years ago, bringing a bong or any other kind of paraphenalia into the US was overlooked, as long as it didn't have any resin.

7. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    http://www.usdoj.gov/dea/ongoing/pipedreams.html

"Quite simply, the illegal drug paraphernalia industry has invaded the homes of families across the country without their knowledge. This illegal, billion-dollar industry will no longer be ignored by law enforcement."

- John Ashcroft
    Attorney General

8. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Obviously somebody does pick and choose.

"Quite simply, the illegal drug paraphernalia industry has invaded the homes of families across the country without their knowledge. This illegal, billion-dollar industry will no longer be ignored by law enforcement."

- John Ashcroft
    Attorney General

9. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

- John Ashcroft
    Attorney General

10. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Here's a little article describing how Ashcroft has arranged it so that visitors to drug paraphernalia sites will be automatically redirected to a government Web site where their IP address will be captured and put on record.

http://news.com.com/2100-1023-985785.html

But keep on defending him about just doing his duty upholding the law. Sheep.

11. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

oops you're right chong... i clearly haven't smoked any lately

as for the pound... that's just his personal for the week maaaaaaaaaaan [​IMG]

12. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Yes. However, not acting on something like this robs Aschroft of a chance to look like the playground bully. How about trying to stop people who are a real threat to society?

13. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Okay, what's your point? I stand by my words. John Ashcroft has nothing to do with this case. This is a larger directive and Chong got caught up in it. Why do you support giving illegal drug traffickers entry into the homes of families across the country? Why are you supporting a violent, multi-billion dollar industry in its efforts to pollute the minds of young people?

14. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

1-ummm ashcroft said "the illegal drug paraphernalia industry has invaded the homes of families across the country" - not really that smooth flipping it into "illegal drug traffickers", did you think we'd not notice?

2-when did glass blowers become so violent? who did they kill?

15. champmanager

champmanager Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Kazakhstan
    Are you on acid?

16. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Oh yeah. Those dealing in illegal drug paraphernilia have no interest in dealing drugs. Nah, they want to just sell trinkets for a few bucks. :rolleyes:

17. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

that may be your dumbest assumption yet... and that's saying something

so your saying that glassblowers and head shops obviously also sell weed? have you ever met a glassblower?

ya know it must be very freeing to know absolutely nothing about a given topic... that way you can just say anything and it seems right

and as for headshops selling drugs... dontcha think that might make them easy to catch? but you're right... if they are stupid enough to sell drugs out of their head shop they deserve to go under the prison

18. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Did Ashcroft sentence the man?? It's was the judge's discretion as to what the sentencing would be.

Blame the judge!

19. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In NY it's legal to sell bongs and pipes and I don't see anything wrong with it.

If Ashcroft wants to crack down in NY he can go fuck himself. Doesn't he have anything better to do? Aren't there terrorists to catch? Oh wait, we need them to perpetrate Bush's war on terror. It's sad to say, but the best thing to ever happen to Bush was 9/11. Without it he'd be gone in '04.

20. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    . . . says the guy who must not have ever heard of Federal Minimum Sentencing Guidelines. . . .

21. Finnegan

Finnegan Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    Ian you truly are a clueless twit.

1) As I posted on the first page the glass blowing industry is actually a pretty big one in some communities (Eugene, OR) for example and this new crackdown has had a large economic impact. Artists have now been forced to start working for the sex toy industry. So which is worse selling a pipe or selling dildos?

2) The vast majority of people who sell or create paraphenilia are not stupid enough to sell drugs. Most are actually very skilled artists who unfortunately are faced withthe economic reality that only so many people want pretty vases etc.

3) Since when are marijuana users "violent"? This can be desribed of alcohol or meth users but when is the last time someone who was high on Marijuana did anything aggro?

Look, I stopped smoking pot years ago for personal reasons but I find the absurd double standard in this country outrageous. Alcohol and tobacco are legal but marijuana is not?

22. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    He'll be gone anyway. He's the worst President in my lifetime ... and that's saying something since it includes Nixon.

23. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A Judge is allowed to sentence below a mandatory minimum when the defendant provides “substantial assistance."

Pleading guilty falls under this category. This would allow the judge to sentence him to probation. Over the last 5 years nearly 1/3 of the people sentenced in drug cases in the federal system had their sentence reduced under the substantial assistance program.

24. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

nixon was 1000X the president dumbya is

i said it before and i'll say it again... W is THE WORST president EVER

25. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/08/15/findlaw.analysis.allenbaugh.sentencing/