Joe Gaetjens and usa 1950

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Cooperstown, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Cooperstown

Cooperstown New Member

Dec 3, 2004
    Alright, after a 5 year hiatus I am back at BigSoccer. I'm looking for some help.

I'm a graduate student studying museum studies in Cooperstown, NY. I'm beginning research for my master's thesis and am looking to do an in-depth study on Joe Gaetjens, the 1950's US World cup team, or another footie related topic. With 'The Game of Their Lives' in post-production, I imagine there might be some recent research on this subject and I'm trying to assess what has already been studied and what avenues I can explore. Particularly, I would like to figure out what exactly happened to Gaetjens in Haiti - how he ended up back there and why he was abducted and killed by Duvalier's police.

I will hopefully be collaberating with the Hall of Fame in Oneonta (I have an eye on a future exhibit), but does anyone here have some info, some contacts or some advice to help my project along? Thanks.

2. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Would love to read your paper. I'm willing to send my comments on it (as payment).

Good luck!

3. MyHouse!

MyHouse! Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Tallahassee
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I've read, none is really sure exactly what happened to him.

Members of his family were active in politics and opposed Duvalier. One day the Tonton Macoutes came and took Joe away and he was never seen or heard from again.

http://www.webster.edu/~corbetre/haiti/misctopic/sports/gaetjens.htm
    http://haitiforever.com/bbs/mesajyo/1317.html

4. Mglnbea

Mglnbea Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a lot of "no information available" regarding Joe Gaetjens and the Haitian situation of the 1950s. In 1983, Tony Cirino wrote a small book entitled "U.S. Soccer vs. the World." The book was published by Damon Press, Inc. out of New Jersey. Part of his chapter on the US in the 1950 World Cup (and aftermath) touched on Joe's rise and career with the US national team and his uncertain demise in Haiti. Tony was writing in the New York area for Il Progresso Italo-Americano, and he was a correspondent for La Gazzetta dello Sport of Milan. It sounds like you are in the NY area, so if he is still around, you might be able to hook up with him. I had also heard that he was planning an updated version of his book so I know he is still around, I just don't know if he is still in the NY area.
    Other writers that, if you can make contact with, might have some current information on Joe's situtuation, are: Colin Jose, Roger Allaway and David Litterer.
    Either way, good luck! The Joe Gaetjens story probably is one of great historic (sporting) value and any research you accomplish which leads to shedding light on his life and times would be greatly received by the US soccer public.

5. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Welcome back to BS. And Cool Idea!

Seems like a good place to start would be an in depth conversation with the one or two people on the planet who are the most knowledgeable about the story. My guess is that the producer or screenwriter is going to know who that world expert is. Just call them up (the producer / screenwriter). I can't imagine they're getting a flood of "CRaZy FaN CaLLs!" and wouldn't want to talk to you.

Just did some Googling on "The Game of Their Lives" and "Crusader Entertainment" (the production company -- which I learned from the first Google) and came across the following link:

http://www.thezreview.co.uk/comingsoon/g/gameoftheirlivesthe.htm

Turns out there's a book, too. That author might be a great resource as well.

Best of luck! Keep us posted.

6. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sadly, Colin Jose passed a couple years ago ,he was a great soccer historian.Some of his work may be in archives at Oneonta (and if not it should be)....

Dave Litterer's page is up and strong as ever.I 'd start there .

7. Brushes Sand

Brushes Sand Member

Oct 12, 2000
    polychronicqatsitime
    This lead from anywho might be of help:

Gaetjens, Jean

16139 Kenny Rd
    LAUREL, MD 20707
    301-206-5255

8. usa1950

usa1950 Member

Aug 18, 2000
    Indiana USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought this thread was going to be about Joe G..... and me, having my name in the title and all, but I'm "usa1950" NOT "usa 1950."

Oh well, good luck with the research. It is a worthy topic, and I've always thought it is a shame that most American soccer fans know so little about the 1950 team. Truly one of the greatest upsets of all-time, not only in soccer, but in all of sport.

I've done a little research, but never found much other than what has already been mentioned.

Good luck

9. Cooperstown

Cooperstown New Member

Dec 3, 2004
    Thanks to all for the help and enthusiasm. Of course I'll continue to update as I proceed.

10. Neutral Fan

Neutral Fan New Member

Dec 27, 2000
    Joe Gaetjens' teammates

I would try contacting his teammates.

Aaron

11. Cooperstown

Cooperstown New Member

Dec 3, 2004
    "Sadly, Colin Jose passed a couple years ago ,he was a great soccer historian.Some of his work may be in archives at Oneonta (and if not it should be)..."

I just wanted to clear up - I've just been contacted by Colin Jose. It seems that he is still with us and still promoting the history of the game.

12. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry about that - I thought I read of his death in Soccer America a couple years back.

13. Tricky Tree

Tricky Tree New Member

Jul 27, 2001
    Diego's boots
    Wow that shocked me too. I wasn't aware Colin was publsihing books from the other side!