Joe Cole's future

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Walter3000, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  2. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Like I've said before on these boards, I've seen Joaquin play well but I've also seen him play and be utterly anonymous. I seem to remember he was a bit like that in the match against Portugal and was taken off after about 60-70 minutes after spending most of the first half tripping over the ball and making passes to players who weren't there. IIRC he had one good bit of play during the entire match and that was it. Well, you could put that on Joey's tombstone...

3. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Well, time will tell with young Joey i'm sure.
    He simply has to get some playing time over the next 2 weeks, there's so many games coming up in such a short period of time, that it would be hard not too really.
    Playing by default?Perhaps.

Having said that, i do wonder if Mourinho is only trying to 'keep him here' untill the crunch is over?
    Or, if he doesn't get more than the odd cameo for a game or two, will it be the final nail for Cole and he'll say, 'right, the writings on the wall here at Chelsea', i'm off.

Spurs are in a run of good form right now, some more decent results over the next 2 weeks could have a very telling effect on Coles decision, if he doesn't get significant playing time real soon.

imho.

4. BridgeMonkee

BridgeMonkee BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    imho? humble when? :D

Ok, Joe Cole is a great talent, the manager seems to like the lad, rewind to the begining of the season, we're playing a diamond, Duff and Robben are on the treatment table. . .Joe Cole was skipping past defenders and putting the ball in the back of the net, in open play, which is more than you can say for Kezman ;) - Joe's only crime is that he doesn't have the dribbling skills of Robben or the crossing ability of Duff-er - who does? - Now Joe must be chomping at the bit to get a game or at least on the bench. Tiago has been dissapointing of late, does Jose risk Joe in a 3 man middle? - I'm a certain Joe has been working on the defensive part of his game in the interim - OR does he bring him on late to relieve Robben or Duff for the last 20-30 mins. Great to have options eh? Personally I can see Joe playing a meaningful role alongside Drogba at some point. Complimentary styles there. imho ;)

5. BridgeMonkee

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    joe cole is a bag of tricks on the edge of the box

6. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    HUMBLE??? HUMBLE??? I THOUGHT IT MEANT HONEST.

Shit... If I'd known it meant humble I'd never have used it.

7. BridgeMonkee

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    IMHO
    in my humble opinion
    (or in my honest opinion)

An acronym often used in email, posting, and chat directly before an opinion that may be honest but is rarely humble.

8. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well that's more like it. I mean... honest, OK. But HUMBLE?

9. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Actually that is not what I have against Joe, he has more then enough natural skill in most areas.

The thing about Joe that frustrates me is his decision making skills. Too often after an amazing display of skill he will make the wrong decision on who to/when to pass/shoot and as a result the whole move is negated and his previous skill counts for nothing.

The fact that he is obviously so skilful only makes my frustration worse. It is what Duff and Robben do at then end of their dribbles that make them great players and entertainers.

Well that's my honest opinion.

10. BridgeMonkee

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    IMHO is an acronym for ...
    * In My Humble Opinion - this is the more accurate usage :0|

(In My Humble Opinion) -- A shorthand appended to a comment written in an online forum, IMHO indicates that the writer is aware that they are expressing a debatable view, probably on a subject already under discussion. One of many shorthands in common use online, especially in discussion forums. See Also: TTFN , BTW

11. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Yes I always translated it as Humble, why I never used it ;)

12. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    LOL

(For Andy :D)

13. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    We shoud change it to "imJMo"; in my honest but not at all humble opinion :rolleyes:

14. the101er

the101er New Member

Jan 29, 2003
    Mentioned way back on this thread was the idea that Joe Cole would be a natural substitute for Frank Lampard. I agree. Is there another squad player now, who would fit in that role ahead of Joe Cole? Tiago, for example?

If we do sell Joe Cole, I hope we don't just give him away. I got the feeling with JM's summer clearance that we were just throwing players away without consideration for getting anything close to their market value. That said, I think the only player we actually sold was Gronks and he hasn't settled at Birmingham. It will be interesting to see if Steve Bruce makes money when he sells him.

Chelsea off-loading players on the cheap. Could it be a subject for a new thread?

As Eric Cantona so rightly pointed out, "The gulls follow the trawler as they think it is throwing sardines into the sea."

15. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Bruce lost 800,000 quid on gronks sale according to Sky sports.

Cole should get his chance this month to prove he wants to defend and stay, I think JM likes his attacking versitalty to plug in at various spots but he needs to prove his defensive commitment, and a commitment to play smarter and not showboat on some occassions.

I would be shocked if JM let him go in Jan., more so with Parker out.

In an important match, I still say Gud would be my Lamp replacement, he can and will defend box to box, smart, attacking flair, and then you just have to settle for Drogs up front :rolleyes:, Duff next more suitable, but can't really replace him as a wing in the preferred 4-3-3.

16. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Oh no I think that would be an absolute disaster, Frank and Joe are not the same at all. Nearest natural substitute would be Parker if/when fit. I know at the moment at Chelsea he is considered a defensive midfield player but at Charlton he was box to box.

I think given time Tiago could take on this roll, he is starting to show more passing and nice touches and he can score a goal or two. He certainly has the engine as they say.

17. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  18. the101er

the101er New Member

Jan 29, 2003
    Yes, how soon we forget. How many goals had Parker knocked in by this time last season? He really must be wondering if he's done the right thing. Joe Cole, on the other hand, has always impressed me as the gifted player who takes one too many touches. I was never that conerned with his defensive workrate. At the beginning of the season, I thought he was really coming into his own. He just seems to have been pushed aside as others have become fit and scored goals. How could you possibly take Robben or Duff out of the side to make room for Cole?

I like what Mourinho said about the subs bench. I hate that you can only have 5 subs on the bench, especially when playing CM. ;)

Man it was tough keeping JFH happy last year.

19. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Cole can't leave this year, because he's likely going to be a replacement for either Duff or Robben if either is out for too long.
    He can't possibly replace Lampard, because his unwillingness to play defense dedicatedly enough has put him in this situation in the first place.

20. GPK

GPK BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 5, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me, Joe's best position would be as an offensive CM playing in a 3-5-2 with two holding CMs playing behind him.

Something like

----------Lampard------Makelele--------

Duff-----------------------------Robben

----------------Cole--------------------

-------Gudjohnson------Drogba----------

But we have too many central defenders on the sqaud to play this type of formation. You could do a Terry, Calvalho, Gallas back 3 or a Ferreria, Terry, Bridge back 3 if you wanted the outside backs to push up on the wings as well.

But I agree with Dr_Intoxicated that sometimes Joe doesn't make the right decisions in passing the ball and will often go to the net instead of laying off for an easier shot. Happened this year on a clear goal for Geremi, I believe.

21. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    GPK, your lineup works better if you leave him behind a lone striker, that way we don't have to monkey with the defense.

22. GPK

GPK BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 5, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It becomes way to much of a defensive formation with a single striker IMHO. JM allows his player way too much freedom to be worrying about formations anyway though

23. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Well, given how high up the pitch Duff and Robben usually are, its not that defensive.

24. IDM DCDubs

IDM DCDubs New Member

Jul 28, 2004
    DC/Dublin
    Lampard's in far too good shooting form to have him behind 5 attackers. I reckon he's doing well in the current single striker formation because he has that extra bit of space in the middle, assuming Tiago doesn't get in the way. When he plays well he's usually got more shots on target than any other player on the pitch. And when Robben & Duff are tearing it up down the wings he's always got plenty of passing options. Ok, I'm rambling. -Peace

25. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agreed there about lamps, if cole is on at the same time as our dynamic duo, Id rather see him play behind a loan striker.