Joe Cole's future

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Walter3000, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

:D :D :D FACTOMONDO.

2. Native

Native New Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Its funny that Deco starred under Mourinho at Porto, and wasnt brought to Chelsea particularly because Jose saw too much of Cole in Deco - the two are very similar in both build and skillset.

Now Cole hardly sees the field. I think it has to do with the amount of talent already on the pitch. At Porto, Deco was one of the more potent offensive players on the squad, so Mourinho utilized his skills to the max and relied on him heavilly to create opportunites. At Chelsea, the attacking firepower is already here in both midfield and upfront- so Cole's wizardry is not held in such high regard. To succeed, he will need to be more of a complimentary player and less of an organizer/creator on the field. IMO thats why Mourinho dug into him after he scored the game winner a few months back - because he sees him more as a bit player.

3. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    For me it is not his defence that is the issue, if a player is truly outstanding in attack I think every team can afford one player who does not tackle back.

I think he needs to improve his tactical nouse and decision making up front.

Is he talented? Undoubtedly, is he productive? Not enough.

He needs to become more of a team player and make the decisive pass at the end of the mazy runs. He is improving but still does not warrant a place above the current starting line up.

He is just so frustrating to watch, so much talent, so little reward. I think his future is in his own hands.

4. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Lets see the money, you can have him ahead of Huth.

But Frankie at West Ham is not the Frankie of Chelsea. This is the essential difference between Frankie and Joe, Frankie has improved out of all recognition.

Admittedly he was given more opportunity then Joe has had.

5. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Might be wrong here but I think Cole aint been the same since Mourinho slaughtered him after he bagged a winning goal earlier in the season .He scored the goal but was allegedly slack after he scored so mourinho gave him some stick .

6. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Ive heard that a player exchange is on the cards, with Huth and Dyer swapping clubs. I would have Cole anyday of the week, but not Thursday's. Shame i'm not NUFC's manager. Chamone. :) :)

7. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    That is an old discounted rumor.

8. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I'm not either but I play one on TV.

9. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not at first he didn't. He way being played on the wing and looked pretty ineffectual IIRC.
    This also raises the question of whether the Frank we see now would be the player he is if he hardly played a game. Personally, I don't think so.

The problem for Cole might simply be circumstances, i.e. that his obvious position just behind the striker(s) is taken by other people like Duff and Robben and can be taken by Frank and even Eidur.

I think he's worth persevering with if he's prepared to sit it out because, when he's on song, he CAN make things happen where other people can't. Duff and Robben are better running at people when the games stretched, Frank is better operating in the wide open spaces in the middle of the park, Cole is one of the few players who can operate in and immediately around the penalty area... there's not many of them around so, if he's prepared to sit it out and keep on trying to improve, I say we keep him.

I keep thinking back to the second Arsenal CL game when he was brought on with about 15-20 minutes left, it was 1-1 and the ball was played into him in the box, he turned the defender in one move and pulled the ball back to Eidur who struck it goalwards... Ashley Cole cleared it off the line IIRC.

I'm not saying that nobody else does these things - I'm saying there's not that many of them.

10. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I've said this before - i think Cole needs to go to an EPL team that he can "run", so to speak - that he can boss in midfield. That way he might actually learn some responsibility. If Arsenal can pawn off the far less promising David Bentley on Norwich to do that same job, why can't we send Cole to, say, Soton (while they're still up) for a year and see what he can do?

11. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Will see if it happens in January mate. The Media have discounted the rumour, but have the clubs. :) :) ;) we shall see.

12. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    I could see Man U putting in a bid for Cole as an eventual replacement for Scholes. He might be open to it as well, because even though he might not get lots of time to start, he'd know that his Scholes won't be around that much longer and he'll be the no. 1 soon enough. Likewise, Real Madrid will be on the lookout for someone to replace ZZ in a couple years, and if Totti's not available, I could see them turning to J. Cole. I think he has the potential to be in Scholes' class, but at Chelsea he's not going to realize that potential.

13. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah and im the next ronaldo.

14. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Steady lad, one fake Ronaldo is enough ;)

15. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    Not Zidane's and Totti's class, Scholes class.

16. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Wheres the prefect when you need him.

17. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nice one

18. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, they play in a slightly different position don't they but Scholes is better than Totti.

19. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    which future?

btw you got all the good players on retarded numbers and all the crap players on good numbers

e.g. 7 was Mutu , 10 is Joe Cole, 9 is Kezman......26 is Terry, Robben 16, Drogba 15, Gudjohnson 22

20. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Fedwood, you really are getting annoying on your posts. That's a rediculous thing to say. You should learn to think before you post.

Henry 14, Campbell 23, Cygan 18, Lauren 12, Edu 17, Silva 19, Toure 28.

That's 7 players that regularly start for you that have "retarded" numbers. No one uses the old format for numbers anymore.

21. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    right now?

22. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    yeh but the good numbers at Arsenal are taken by people that actually get game time

23. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Oooh - when Totti can be bothered to play well he's far superior to Scholes, and that's not a knock on Scholes.
    And I HATE Totti.

24. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    So I guess what you're saying is that there is something wrong with #2, #5, #6?? I mean, by your own definition they are all "good" numbers. Right? Yet, funny...they are left vacant by your beloved Arsenal.

Hmmm...get your facts straight. But thanks for coming though. There are some nice parting gifts for you on your way out the door. And do please see an oral surgeon...you seem to have your foot in your mouth. Thanks.

25. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    by good numbers i mean 7, 8 , 9, 10 mainly

anyway there was talk of having 6 retired i think