Joao Felix: The Prodigy or The Fraud?

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Sumol, Jun 16, 2019.

1. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Ohhh, now it's too much expectations. Some celebrate his "platters" that weren't all that special as the next coming of Jesus despite the rest of his game being absolute mediocrity, and when there is no one glimmer of hope their should have not been so much expectations....Well...DUUUH what the hell has the realistics been saying? He hasn't shown jack, maybe he can be a decent player but the next Ronaldo? Hell no. Golden Boy? Yeah if Sanches is a measuring stick but a lot of top young players were shafted from that award. Today Felix's shooting into players and trying the worst shot from half I've ever seen showed a totally low football IQ (oh my god I'm racist against Portuguese now!) Stupid play is stupid play regardless of skin colour. Adama has improved his (oh my god I'm racist again because I said a black player is playing smarter with experience! Someone call the police!) Hopefully Felix does as well, but this kid has shown nothing in terms of production this year to warrant ANY hype he's got and the hype has him playing like Quaresma before Barca gave him the boot more than Cristiano in Manchester.

2. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    Why are you so determined to hate on the kid? He is still only 20 years old.

Don’t forget his amazing performances last season.

Young players are inconsistent by nature.
    I don’t think Simeone knows how to coach Felix properly. Tbh I would be more confident in myself getting the best out of Felix if I were coach of that team than that guy.

3. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  4. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    #154 Joe Martelo, Jan 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    He almost cried in an inteview. Pretty obvious he should come back to Benfica.

He should. Benfica is a bigger club than atletico anyways and will continue to win Portuguese liga because they have no real competition except for
    Porto once in a while. And even that will end soon with PDC getting older and older.

He reminds me of Joao Pinto, some players just can’t make the jump outside our league but it doesn’t mean they lack quality.

5. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  6. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The coach is trash. I said this before he even played a game.

Lemar, Llorente, Vietto, Carrasco and Gelson were all players with potential that he ruined. Gaitan and Jackson were also decent players he ruined. Its clear he doesn't know how to utilize good attacking talent just like Mourinho (De bruyne, Salah, Mata) and is too obsessed with defence.

Joe Martello would probaly agree with me

7. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

The same coach that took them to a Champions League final and won the league that has been dominated by Barcelona and Madrid. But yea, he sucks. It can't be that Felix is overrated outside of Portugal or anything....

8. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Didnt address anything in the post about other young good attacking talents not doing much under him. Also horrific logic, Mourinho won a bunch of trophies years ago too and he is also a finished, terrible and outdated coach now. Atletico has spent a lot of money over the years and still they struggle to win games or even score for that matter every season.

9. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  10. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Ok let me address your premise:

• Koke doesn't seem to have a problem with Simeone's tactics
    • Saul doesn't seem to have a problem with Simeone's tactics
    • Alvaro Morata doesn't seem to have a problem with Simeone's tactics
    Atletico got rid of some key players, like Godin, Griezman (who also didn't have a problem with Simeone's tactics), Juanfran, Filipe Luis, and Rodri. Those are HUGE loses for the club, and a huge reason why they've struggled this season.

So your argument is weak and has not strong supporting evidence.

Conclusion: Felix had one year of first team soccer in a weak and sorry Portuguese league that is rigged in Benfica's favor, and because of that, he was massively overrated and proving to be the under-qualified prospect he truly is. Dude sucks.

11. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Let me guess, this sitter he missed today by himself on a wide open net is also Simeone's fault, right?

[​IMG]

Why isn't the Portuguese media chastising him? Oh right. Cuz he's a Lampiao golden boy.

12. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    This just proves you didnt watch. That was offside, and he didnt miss...the player stuck a leg out and intercepted it

verde-rubro repped this.
  13. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #163 prodigal_mind, Jan 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    So I say Simeone is a shitty coach because he cannot build an offence and your response is mentioning players like Saul and Koke who are mainly workhorses and dont score or assist much? Morata has been very poor as well missing many easy chances (like he has done at every club hes been in). So how have you disproven my claim that Simeone struggles to coach an attack when Atletico has struggled to score goals for years now.....how do Koke and Saul fix that issue since you say they dont have an issue with his tactics?Also like i have proven numerous times Atletico fans have been impressed with Felix because they actually watch the games and see his technical abilities on display.His first touch and his vision are world class, to be that good in those particularly facets of the game at age 20 bodes really well for his progression as a player as he continues to improve and learn more.

My argument is not weak I showed many attacking players that Simeone has failed Gelson, Lemar, Carrasco, Gameiro, Vietto, JAckson, Gaitan were all bought for quite big sums of money and his defensive tactics did not get the best out of any of them. Kinda funny how you are flip flopping now, now you all of a sudden think Simeone is this flawless coach when you said this in August,

How is the Portuguese league rigged for Benfica? Was Benfica not the best team last season? Why would they need to rig something when their team was clearly the best :ROFLMAO:. Are they also not the best team this season? If not who is? Will you answer any of these questions?

14. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  15. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    [​IMG]
    World Class

SCP_16 repped this.
  16. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    No offense brother, but groups of sentences into separate paragraphs makes this stuff way easier to read. Just an FYI.

In regards to your post, you said that Simeone has ruined players because he is trash. Please explain your definition of "ruining players" and why the most successful coach in Atletico's history, who just beat Barca yesterday, is trash and ruining players.

I brought up the players who haven't had issues with Simeone's tactics as an example of players who have been playing relatively well, as opposed to a $120 million flop like Felix.

Simeone didn't ruin anybody. Gaitan was washed up and injury prone when he came to Atletico. It wasn't Simeone's fault that he couldn't displace better option in the midfield. He went to a China (inferior league) and is currently playing in Argentina (also an inferior league) which is exemplary of the type of quality he is. Basically, dude sucks. That's why he couldn't crack the starting 11.

Gelson

My argument is not weak I showed many attacking players that Simeone has failed Gelson, Lemar, Carrasco, Gameiro, Vietto, JAckson, Gaitan were all bought for quite big sums of money and his defensive tactics did not get the best out of any of them. Kinda funny how you are flip flopping now, now you all of a sudden think Simeone is this flawless coach when you said this in August,

Gelson hasn't done shit in France either. He was great with SCP, but his weaknesses have been exposed: no soccer smarts, poor finishing ability, holds the ball too long and not a good passer. That won't get you anywhere.

As far as Carrasco, you can see why he was sold here: https://en.as.com/en/2018/02/22/football/1519299882_174418.html

Gameiro was 31 when he was sold (old) and was replaced by Kalinic, Lemar and Martins (the latter 2 of the 3 would go on to be busts).

Lemar is a shit player. From this article, there are several bits that stand out the most:

• "He is an excellent dribbler but gives the ball away a criminal amount, and he doesn’t contribute with goals or assists — the World Cup winner has three and six respectively in 64 games for Atlético. Simeone says he plays him whenever and maybe more often than he should. The dividends suggest he’s right."
    • "The coach keeps picking Lemar or at least bringing him in to games late on in search of penetration, a change of pace or divine intervention. But it rarely bears fruit. A thousand failed passes, turnovers and chances to make an impact."
    • "In 947 minutes of action, Lemar has managed to create 0.6 expected goals and 0.8 expected assists. He pops up in scoring positions less often than Héctor Herrera, Renan Lodi and Felipe Monteiro. His chance creation doesn’t make up for his lack of goals, either. In a team screaming out for someone who can beat players — one of Lemar’s very best qualities at Monaco — he hasn’t been able to carve out a niche for himself. He’s stifled with lack of confidence, imposed by his own poor decision-making. Lose the ball, chase it, repeat."
    Vietto isn't a good enough player for Atletico. He wasn't a good enough player for Valencia or a lowly Fulham side either. He has done well in a sorry Portuguese league, however.

As far as Jackson Martinez, this is the same Jackson Martinez who literally had none of the top European Clubs calling him. He sucked in China, and was loaned to Portimonense of all clubs. And even then, he hasn't done shit. Dude is just a shit player who thrived on a great Porto team competing against other sorry ass Portuguese teams.

So in conclusion, Simeone doesn't ruin players. Atletico just has a painful knack for overpaying for overrated shit, garbage, trash players. Felix is another clear example of that trend.

17. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Pic on the right is from the game last week, the pic on the left is from today:

81722922_1365439493628337_3590765768112865280_n.jpg

Referee today was Carlos Xistra, known Benfica dick-riding crook:

Today's bullshit penalty, one of a million that are handed to Benfica on an annual basis:

Portuguese league is a scripted joke of a league. Benfica are given free points when the going gets tough, and that's why their players are overrated trash and flop in the rest of Europe's leagues.

18. RedBullSeven

RedBullSeven Member+

Apr 28, 2012
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
  19. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  20. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    This is too many excuses. So its not Simeones fault that almost all his transfers are flops, its the players themselves that suck. A truly great coach can alter his tactics to get the best out of his team. Take a look at Conte at Inter who is doing a very good season and even has Lukaku playing well. The same Lukaku who Mourinho made look like a pub player. You would probaly make these same excuses for Mourinho in his Man Utd stint

Also, they were due a win at Barcelona considering how awful his record is there. That was his first win against Barcelona in 10 games. Not exactly something to write home about, especially considering how Barcelona are not the superpower they once were.
    https://fussball.wettpoint.com/en/h2h/747-1668.html

Whats also funny is you mention how JAckson always sucked and he only looked good against portuguese opposition which is complete bs. Hector Herrera never looked anything special in Porto yet looks good in Atletico. This is because mostly defensive players flourish in his tactics and attacking players struggle...especially in big games.

21. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #171 prodigal_mind, Jan 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    Penalty wasnt bullshit, it was soft, but the contact was still clearly there. Benfica dominated the game, Aves were fortunate not to get smashed. You just come across as delusional in comments like this. Benfica got wins in the cl over Lyon, zenit and almost beat the current Bundesliga leaders....yet you think they need to pay off refs to win a home match vs aves?

Benfica also made the europa league finals twice and beat a Juventus who went to the cl final the following year? Were they scripting those europa league wins as well? Many Benfica players did well abroad by the way, so another false claim that Benfica players flop in the rest of europes leagues.

It is clear Benfica has the best team in Portugal, you cant even dispute this. Take a look at Portos lineup today against Moreirense and Benficas usual starting eleven and try to argue with me Benfica is not better in almost every position. So again I ask, why would Benfica pay off refs to win the league when they clearly have the best team and can do it without paying off anyone?

The fact Goodead shares the same opinions as you regarding Benfica and Felix should be enough for you to realize you are most likely wrong lol

22. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  23. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    I agree . Anyone who thinks he is bad should be admonished.

Really good player who is unfairly criticized due to his high price and the teams negative tactics.

RedBullSeven repped this.
  24. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yes, please keep creating scapegoats for these flops. It's ironic, since most of those players have gone on to mediocre teams, mediocre leagues and have had mediocre careers. Nonetheless, blame it on the most successful manager in Atletico's history. The only team to win the league not named Barcelona and Real Madrid. Two Champions League finals appearances.

His downfall is that he purchases crap players, Felix being the most expensive of em all.

Ironic you bring up Conte, who won the league and set records in England, but couldn't alter tactics or adjust his team, and ultimately got fired the following year further invalidating your point. Now he's playing in a terrible league where, despite his success, won't win anything. Lukaku was also playing well at Everton. He's a good player. One of the top scorers at the World Cup, but it's Conte who made him great, right? I never said anything about Mourinho so not sure why you're putting words in my mouth or making assumptions.

Jackson was only ever good at Porto. He's playing at Portimonense for ********s sake. Herrera was great at Porto, so not sure what you're smoking saying he was nothing special at Porto. If he played for SLB, you'd be slobbing him up.

25. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

We you obviously don't know shit about the game either.