jmeissen0's avatar: love it or leave it

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by jmeissen0, Nov 30, 2004.

1. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    Re: Seriously, why not Beckham now?

i'm sorry... but this is stupid

2. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA

I cannot argue with your opinion. You may be right. I just think that MLS must be considering this.

3. budalabutt

budalabutt Red Card

Nov 4, 2004
    Chi-town

About as stupid and disrespectful as your flag avatar but even idots have rights, so go ahead! But your dad and brother are in the military so I guess it gives you the right to be a moron.

4. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

lol

please give a rational explanation on how it's disrespectful

5. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

if your dad and brother are in the military I am sure they love the fact that you fly the stars and stripes upside down(insert sarcasm)...Myself being in the military, I am offended by it but thats another thread. while you have a way of putting things that rub people the wrong way, I agree that bringing Beckham to MLS is not the brightest of ideas and would not payoff in the long run.

6. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

And yet you couldn't answer his question on why.

7. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If you must know, to me its that fact that so many people have given their lives for this country for the preservation of freedom and democracy, the flag symbolizes those who gave the ultimate sacrafice. Flying the flag upside down in my opinion is a slap in the face to them and those currently serving. Unfortunately because those brave souls risked their lives to protect this country and give it the freedom we have, morons like JC have the right to show the flag however they want. its too bad some people just see it as a flag and do not care one way or another. that ok with you?

8. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA

Yeah, no dobut. My point was referring to the fact that some people are worried he'd come over here and coast or something. And if it wasn't working out $$$-wise for MLS, they COULD still sell the guy and get back some of the investment at the very least.

9. budalabutt

budalabutt Red Card

Nov 4, 2004
    Chi-town

The fact that I have to explain it you makes you an even bigger idiot than I first thought.

See when you have real military men in your family like I do, who fought and some died for freedom you would get your ass kicked for turning the flag over like that.

See the flag stands for alot more then current government, its stands for our forfathers and our constitution and all those who helped build and died to make this country what it is today. So you dont like the current administration thats fine, but you can protest in other ways instead of pissing all over a symbol that means a heck of alot more to alot of people than just some cloth on it with stripes.

I disagree with this war and why were are going into it. Infact I think the whole reason we are going into this war is to protect the interests of Israel and oil and it pisses me off to no end. But I will not disprespect my flag because Neo-Cons have hijacked my party(I'm a Republican) and hijacked my government. That flag stand for what governemtn was before it became a puppet of MIddle East foreign Interests.

its ok though, I respect your right to be that way. I will not stop you from doing it. But I will express my disgust for you attitude.

10. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As far as I know, an upside-down flag is just one type of distress signal.

What else does it mean?

11. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado

Obviously, some people read a lot more into it than others. There's some yahoo here that thinks it alright to refer to physical violence over it. Whatever happened to tolerance of other people's opinions? And of freedom to express your political beliefs without fear of retaliation? budalabutt, there are a great number of political and religious symbols of various kinds that most of us have to put up with every day of our lives and we somehow learn to tolerate them and get on with our lives. I think you should apologize for stepping over the line on this.

12. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

since i explained to you well before this post that my father fought in vietnam and earned a bronze star and purple heart... i'm going to take this to mean that you do not find vietnam to be a real war

and that in 15 years, you will say the same thing about the present war in iraq

13. denver_mugwamp

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado

Interesting, but I beleive I've seen violations of every one of those rules. But then it hardly has the force of law, now does it? My question for you would be if you saw the US/Austalia Rugby game last night on FSW and were you offended by the US Flag unforms?

14. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I didn't get to see the game, and I really don't feel that if the flag is represented in the proper way that it is wrong. My post wasn't to protest, just to clarify the code of conduct for the flag.

More informative then anything.

15. denver_mugwamp

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado

I understand what you're saying. But the Rugby uniforms were a pretty blatant violation of rule (j). My point would be that every one of those posted rules is violated every day by a vast number of individuals, most of whom have no idea that they're doing anything wrong. In fact, most of those folks would say that they love and respect the flag and would do anything to defend it. Perhaps your code of conduct is a bit out of date?

16. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Or, perhaps a lot of people are just flat out ignorant....

17. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think another way to look at it is this way,
    the Code is for the Flag itself. It applies to a US Flag, whether that applies to a shirt made to look like the flag or to digital images is not a question I have an answer to. Now as I understand it, if those Rugby uniforms had been made from Flags then yes I would have a very big problem with it. But if the uniforms were made with the image of the flag, then I am not that uptight about it. Make sense?

My question is why fly even a digital flag upside down? That is a slap in the face to every American from July 4, 1776 til now. IMHO.

The freedom to express oneself is something that makes the US a great place, it also makes it easy to have arguements and fights. I just think that the flag is not something that should be used for making a statement. There are plenty of other objects to use. One of the problems with a democracy is that 49% of 100 Million + voters are alot of unhappy people. The flag represents all americans, so I ask that proper respect be shown to it.

18. thehands1616

thehands1616 New Member

Feb 15, 2004
    little island

flying the flag upside down is disrespectful etc. in other ways those it can mean something else. hawaiian rights people fly the state flag upside down because they wont recognize being a part of america. so it can have different meanings. but in my mind it is disrespectful to veterans, etc.

19. JohnnyAlmonds

JohnnyAlmonds New Member

Jan 23, 2004
    Maryland

The difference is that America is a huge market that a media whore like Becks would be interested in. Not to mention the old wife and Brooklyn. I am not saying all or any other Europeans would be interested. Truly I can't envision anyone else but Becks as a possibility. He's 50% athlete and 50% model and he knows this.

Also, I was trying to make a hypothetical point that in order for the MLS to become a viable league we need to somehow draw great players. Not that we necessarily can right now.

20. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Because some of us feel that the US is in dire distress! Even some of us with rich family histories of military and gov't service feel that way. My grandfather fought in the Pacific in WWII, and retired as a Lt Col from the Army. My father won an appointment to West Point, and is a 30+ year civil servant with the Air Force. I've spent my entire professional career working for defense contractors. I feel the US is in dire distress, and I feel it's my duty to try and draw people's attention to that fact.

This "protest" isn't some kind of anti-America thing. It's a "wake up people, our great country is swirling down the toilet" thing.

Oh, and we shouldn't buy Beckham. Not at that price. Get him on a free in a couple of years, if possible. We don't want to end up like the NASL.

21. Jegao Paraiba

Jegao Paraiba Member

Aug 6, 2004
    Morgantown, WV
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Isn't there a politics forum around here somewhere?

22. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think it would be interesting if we went over to WPAFB and spoke with some the airmen there and see what they would say about flying the flag upside down. I would also say to you that over 50% of the people who voted in the election do not share your thoughts about our country.

But again why disrespect the flag? This country and the ideals it was founded on are still the same. You may have a problem with Bush and that is fine, but it isn't the flag's fault.

23. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

you don't get it do you???

these guys are taught that it's not disgracing the flag... they are taught that we have freedoms and that even if they don't agree with it... they are to understand and respect the right that we have the freedom to do this

they are there to fight and protect our freedoms and the freedoms of other countries

and when things aren't going right... when our country is wallowing in the mud... it's up to the people to make sure we get the ******** out of the mud

if that means i fly the flag upside down so you stop and think about why i might be doing that.. then i'm going to fly it upside down

if you want to be ignorant, go right ahead and tell me i shouldn't do it... but you'd be a billion times wrong and every court in the land would protect my right to do it... and every soldier would fight for my right to do it... because that's what they do, they fight for freedom.. not censorship

sure, a law might be created to say i can't do it... but the courts will step in and rule that it would be unconstitutional (make sure you make note of that)

we are in vietnam 2.0 right now and there is absolutely no end in sight... i respect every service person out there... but unlike the politicians, i don't want their lives thrown away for nothing... i value their lives and i see no reason for them to be killed in a senseless war... i will honor them by flying the flag upside down so that they know someone is looking after their well being

24. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I work there. Every day. Researching technologies to help keep our edge and help our warfighters be safer, more effective, and downright better at their jobs. And I'm proud to do it. And you might be surprised... there are more than a negligible number of people (including officers I know personally) there who feel the same way. (And very few airmen work there, BTW.)

So?

It's not disrespecting the flag. The flag is an object that is supposed to represent everything great about the US. United States Code Title 36 Chapter 10 presents a guide for displaying the flag. There are no penalties for failing to follow the code, and the only attempt to do so was struck down by the Supreme Court less than a year later. And - like you yourself posted - "The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property."

BTW, here is a real juicy one for you. That dude is a real nutter (and no - I'm going to make you click the link to find out who). And, for the record, I don't give a flying fsck that there is an [R] beside the current Administration. It's what that Administration is doing that is the problem.

Oh - no Beckham!

25. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I posted earlier the code of conduct for the flag. Your ignorance is the issue here. Believe in what you want, say what you want, why disrespect the flag?

You are making a statement huh? Well what ever be an ignorant ass. Keep thinking this is Vietnam 2.0 even though the issues of the War are nowhere near the same. It is pointless to argue with those without the capacity to see beyond their own thoughts.